PDA

View Full Version : MBF 6/13

fishguts
06-13-2005, 07:53 PM
My youngest son, Jacob informed me last night that we had not gone sturgeon fishing at all this year in the new boat and was tired of catching Kokanee. Darn, have to go fishing today.
Launched at Pittsburg around 9am or so, Martinez ramp closed today, met Fishkiller for the first time, he was heading out to the Middle Grounds. I headed down to MBF. Saw alot of large stripers jumping around on the way down there.
Anchored up in 39 feet of water about the middle of the outgoing tide. Grass shrimp and anise spray and set in to wait. Bam one rod down, Jacob brings in a nice 5 pound striper, swallowed hook and was bleeding, had to keep it.
Jacob very happy.
A few more striper bites over the next 2 hours and wondering why the sturgeon I see on my graph aren't biting. Realized had some store bought leaders on, made some new ones about 14 inches, now they will stay on the bottom.
About 5 minutes passed and rod began dipping, *Jacob set hook and then did the second set and WOW sturgeon jumped clean out of water looked like an oversized sturgeon, started taking line and wouldn't slow down. Jacob announces that he is running out of line so I ran to the bow and dropped the anchor to follow. After about an hour got it close to the boat and then took off again for about another 20 minutes, snared it and pulled it into the boat.
Measured once, twice, three times and then one more time to be sure. All angles covered, exactly 72 inches with a very wide girth. I wanted to put him back but Jacob really wanted to keep it so it came home with us. Mrs. Fishguts happy since she likes sturgeon. I don't have habit of keeping the larger ones. Measured it again at home with my neighbor a firefighter and the mail carrier, both avid fisherman. Yup, 72 inches.
One very excited 10 year old. One very proud Dad.
When other son returns from camp he will want to go. Darn have to go fishing again.

Joe P.

tankgrunt
06-13-2005, 08:46 PM
I hear ya about keeping the big unz, but you gotta do what you gotta do with your son. Good call on shortening the leader in a strong current. Got any pictures ??? I'm sure everyone would like to see a picture of Jacob standing next to the beast grinning like a Cheshire Cat ;D

fishguts
06-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Got pics but fail miseably trying to get them posted.
Joe P.

Supperman
06-13-2005, 09:06 PM
Nice report...
If you email me the pics I will post them for you..
caswilliamson@comcast.net

Fish on!

PlugROCKSTAR
06-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Got pics but fail miseably trying to get them posted.
Joe P.

e-mail them to me at snyper_teampyro@hotmail.com and i'll host it for you.

2QUARTSLOW
06-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Tank, when we going fishing ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) :P :P :P :-X :-X :-X :-/ :-/ :-/ :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :o :o :o :o :o :) :) ;) :D ;D :( 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-/ :-* :'( ??? 8) :o :( >:( ;D :P

Ase you kan cee im dayzed and coinfuzed ;adfj;lj;dasivbpo, aand kant tipe eiver.

2Q

fishkiller
06-14-2005, 04:33 AM
8)Hey Fishguts I dont know a fishrite , but I talked to you at the pittsburg ramp leaving in my custom weld. Nice sturgy I got 2 shakers and 1 47inch and 2 stripers to 7 lbs. THE BIG KAHUNA <<THEFISHKILLER>>TIGHT LINES AND SCREAMIN REELS GETTUM OR GET BENT. ;) :o 8)

Cal.Kellogg
06-14-2005, 06:12 AM
Hey Fishguts...I'm glad you got your fish.....I think that 14 inch leader is illegal however. My understanding is that you can't have a hook closer than 18 inches to a sinker that weighs more than an ounce. I use 18 inch leaders and add a 1/2 ounce rubber core about 8 inches from my hooks to keep the baits laying on the bottom. Anyhow, I just don't want to see you written up by the man. I'm sure it's a serious crime...Probably a $1,000,000 fine and 10 years in San Quintin...HAHAHAHA :o

STURGEONSTOMPER
06-14-2005, 06:13 AM
Nice fish, but a 14 inch leader is illegle :-/ 18 inches is the shortest you can use by law ;)

PlugROCKSTAR
06-14-2005, 06:39 AM
A few more striper bites over the next 2 hours and wondering why the sturgeon I see on my graph aren't biting. Realized had some store bought leaders on, made some new ones about 14 inches, now they will stay on the bottom.
Joe P.

Nice Fish,

But the 14" Leader.
http://safecomputing.osu.edu/sam/law.gif
I'm sure you know that :-/

fishguts
06-14-2005, 07:53 AM
I didn't know that 14 inches was not legal or at least forgot, so in a panic I stopped reading the posts and ran out to the boat and pulled out the home made leaders we used, PHEW !!!!! 18 1/2 INCHES. 2 #5/0 Eagle claw hooks, 30lb leader and crimps.
When I put down the lap top and ran out to the boat, my wife was rather unhappy to hear that I may have been ilegal and is now relieved. She was reading the posts when I ran out to door.
The last thing I want is a reputation of not doing it legally. Not a good role model for the kids and not a good representation for this group, which is why we measured that sturgeon so many times and with witnesses.
Joe P.

fishguts
06-14-2005, 07:54 AM
Fishkiller, it was you I met yesterday I must have gotten mixed up. Nice boat by the way.
Superman, sending you pics. Thanks for posting.
Joe P.

PlugROCKSTAR
06-14-2005, 07:59 AM
I didn't know that 14 inches was not legal or at least forgot, so in a panic *I stopped reading the posts and ran out to the boat and pulled out the home made leaders we used, PHEW !!!!! 18 1/2 INCHES. 2 #5/0 Eagle claw hooks, 30lb leader and crimps.
When I put down the lap top and ran out to the boat, my wife was rather unhappy to hear that I may have been ilegal and is now relieved. She was reading the posts when I ran out to door.
The last thing I want is a reputation of not doing it legally. Not a good role model for the kids and not a good representation for this group, which is why we measured that sturgeon so many times and with witnesses.
Joe P.

Thanks for Clarifying the leader lenght Joe. Tell your kid that i wanna shake his hands for a Job Well done.

STURGEONSTOMPER
06-14-2005, 08:38 AM
Bravo, bravo...wheres the pics ;D

fishguts
06-14-2005, 10:39 AM
I sent the pics to Superman so when he gets them I am sure they will be posted. Much appreciated. I think I need a hands on tutorial and then I can post myself.
I cannot tell you how much of a panic I have been in to make sure that that sturgeon is not tainted for many reasons.
1. Don't want to be pointed at as the guy who fishes illegally.
2. Role model for my boys.
3. Reputation on the sniffer boards.
4. Don't want to get kicked off the sniffer boards.
5. Tainted fish probably don't taste good.
6. Mrs. Fishguts will put me on fishing restriction.

Joe P.

STURGEONSTOMPER
06-14-2005, 10:42 AM
You could give me half and it will taste much better ;D

PlugROCKSTAR
06-14-2005, 11:02 AM
I sent the pics to Superman so when he gets them I am sure they will be posted. Much appreciated. I think I need a hands on tutorial and then I can post myself.
I cannot tell you how much of a panic I have been in to make sure that that sturgeon is not tainted for many reasons.
1. Don't want to be pointed at as the guy who fishes illegally.
2. Role model for my boys.
3. Reputation on the sniffer boards.
4. Don't want to get kicked off the sniffer boards.
5. Tainted fish probably don't taste good.
6. Mrs. Fishguts will put me on fishing restriction.

Joe P.

Joe, i really appreciate you for takin the time and running back into the boat and double checking your leader. Lesson learned.

fishguts
06-14-2005, 11:04 AM
I actually think I sprinted. Huff, Puff.
Joe P.

fishkiller
06-14-2005, 03:40 PM
8)Give the guy a break a little typo now lets measure everyone elses leaders on the secret box we know yea got one.Yep 18 inches and no weight 1/2 ounce or bigger closer than 18 inches thats the rule, so put lots of bait on to keep on bottom. ;) :o 8)

RR
06-14-2005, 08:17 PM
nice report , great catch ! don't get me wrong here , i'm a sportsman and play by the rules as i believe we all should but i'm more concerned about 2Q than those darn leaders. will some one please get him to the water! and i don't mean a swimming pool.
RR

fishguts
06-14-2005, 10:43 PM
Hey Superman, did you get the pics to post? I'm very excited.
Thanks again
Joe

gopedxr
06-15-2005, 01:24 AM
Nice Job out their!! I hope to get a sturgy like that one of these days lol.

CAnt wait to see the pics!

vini-v
06-15-2005, 08:05 AM
You're sons a lucky boy to have a father like you....that was a good day fishin.

dimpala95
06-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Send the pictures to 916 or me and either one of us will host and post them for you.

PlugROCKSTAR
06-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Send the pictures to 916 or me and either one of us will host and post them for you.

i've offered but no e-mail :-[

fishguts
06-15-2005, 12:41 PM
You're sons a lucky boy to have a father like you....that was a good day fishin.

Thanks, but I think I am the lucky one.
Joe P.

fishguts
06-15-2005, 12:45 PM
i've offered but no e-mail :-[

916, I sent them to an address you posted on an earlier posting. Was that right?

tankgrunt
06-15-2005, 01:17 PM
I was going to argue with you all about the gear and rigging restrictions, but I went back to read the F&G regulations and am now thoroughly confused as a result of bad grammar by Sacramento beurocrats. Here is the exact spelling and punctuation of the applicable section:

2.10(b) Maximum Gaps and Gear Rigging for Rivers and Streams unless otherwise provided (does not apply to lakes and reservoirs, the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta (see Section 1.71 for definition of the Delta), and the Colorado River.

Notice that there is an unclosed parenthesis. Is the Delta included as a part of the "does not apply" portion or not? Legally you could make a case that it does, because when interpreting a legal document the benefit of the doubt is given to the party that did not have a role in drafing the document. But try telling that to the F&G officer. I'm sorry for the rambling, but I frequently deal with attorneys in my occupation and have learned to nit pick documents to death.

fishguts
06-15-2005, 06:44 PM
The fish is legal, the rigs were legal, please stop trying to take away my sons thunder.
Joe P.

PlugROCKSTAR
06-15-2005, 07:13 PM
The fish is legal, the rigs were legal, please stop trying to take away my sons thunder.
Joe P.

beleive me Joe, no one is trying to take away your sons Excitement. we all want everybody to know what's right and wrong.

donzitroller
06-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Fishguts, way to go on the fatty! As Stomper says, Fish in the boat, time to gloat! Lookin for the pics! Send em to me and I'll get em up! My email is on my profile. Will be done within minutes! Congrats!

Killer, congrats on your Kahuna-ness! FISH ON!

tankgrunt
06-15-2005, 08:21 PM
beleive me Joe, no one is trying to take away your sons Excitement. we all want everybody to know what's right and wrong.

Ditto on what 916 said. The discussion just brought up some interesting points that have been discussed on this forum in the past.

fishguts
06-16-2005, 03:24 AM
Ditto on what 916 said. The discussion just brought up some interesting points that have been discussed on this forum in the past.

I can go with that....

STURGEONSTOMPER
06-16-2005, 05:36 AM
Send me the pics and Ill post um ;)

jon_may
06-16-2005, 11:08 AM
ooops... i used that same section for mbf(delta) we use leaders less than 18" all the time... we have had dfg on our boat checking our rigs at MBF... no mention of leader length... ??? :P ::)

donzitroller
06-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Here's a much better picture.. http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/medium/jacob_sturgie.jpg

fishguts
06-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Thanks for posting the pic for my son. I sent them to you again hopefully they are better.

fishrman4life
06-17-2005, 01:55 AM
I'd say, personally, that is a HUGE DINOSAUR, way to go BOY!!!! Mr Fishguts must be a very proud man. I'd give em the benefit of the doubt about the rig and all. Where is this exactly and what kind of rigs were u using? Bait? Where can I get the rigs? Price?

STURGEONSTOMPER
06-17-2005, 06:16 AM
Now thats a pig ;)

PlugROCKSTAR
06-17-2005, 06:19 AM
nice fish.

fishguts
06-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Its a standard two hook sturgeon rig except that I have been making them myself. I use eagle claw 5/0 kahle hooks, crimps, a red bead to separate the hooks and #60 pound nylon coated wire. I apply a bead on the main line between the snap swivel and sliding sinker. I picked up the material at Extreme Angler in Oakley but you can get this stuff anywhere just be picky. And yes they are no shorter than 18-19 inches,I have one that is 22 inches. I have since gone through my tackle box and re-measured everything. Some of the commercial/store bought rigs that I had purchased some time ago are 34 inches. the hooks are dull, the results being that by making your own, you can get a better product and overall save some $$$$$. The bait shops are charging close to $3 these days for a rig that I feel is inferior. If your wire leader gets messed up,you can recycle the hooks, swivel etc. just replace the leader right on the boat and recrimp it all.
If you want to, one can always just shorten the commercial ones a bit. If you can shorten the leader a bit it will stay on the bottom where the sturgeon are feeding and not drift up with the current.
My son caught this one at the MBF just east of the Iowa in about 38 feet of water on the morning outgoing tide. We used grass shrimp with a shot of bang anise on it. I've used grass shrimp exclusively since I was a kid.
Joe P.

mjonesjr
06-17-2005, 11:16 AM
I make mine out of Dacron or Spectra. I got so tired of the kinks that wire leaders get. Once they kink they tangle up almost every time. I started using these two materials a few years ago because they are very strong and very supple. If they do get tangled they straiten out every time.

I also find that when Iím casting that once my rig hits the bottom, if I pull my rod tip up and drag my weight a couple of feet it tends to straiten out my sliding rig. A tangled slider setup defeats the whole purpose. I wonder how many shy sturgeon drop baits because of the resistance they fell?????

Screaming Reels,

mjonesjr

donzitroller
06-19-2005, 09:41 PM
Fishguts, thanks for sending the higher quality pic! Jacob's striper is posted on the Striper board under pictures. FISH ON!

fishguts
06-20-2005, 08:28 PM
Thanks alot for posting the pics. You guys are awesome
Joe P.

Diego916
06-21-2005, 04:50 PM
I'd say you and your son make one hell of a team!

Nice fish! ;D

fishguts
06-21-2005, 05:57 PM
You should see what happens when both are on the boat.
;D

fishkiller
08-20-2005, 03:28 AM
8)to the top 8)

fishkiller
08-20-2005, 03:28 AM
8)to the top 8)

fishkiller
08-20-2005, 03:29 AM
8)to the top 8)

JIM_D.
08-20-2005, 06:34 AM
I seen 5 dino's yesterday, at the state fair, most likely the closest I'll get to one. JIM D.