PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE!!!

MVP
07-22-2005, 03:59 PM
I am new to the Oakley/Pittsburg area and my goal is to catch me a Sturgeon!! I have no idea where to begin ..I have my own light tackle that I prefer to use. I just have no idea where to catch those monsters. So if someone can provide me with some on info on bait and location I would appreciate that!!!!!

Also I have no boat so I need shore spots please!!

MVP

2QUARTSLOW
07-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Welcome MVP.

Whats Light tackle to you?

Example light tackle for me is a 8'6" salmon/steelhead rod rated to 8 to 20lbs and 15 lb line.

I usually use medium weight tackle. 30# maxima or 50# braid. With a medium/heavy rod 8' rated anywhere from 15 to 30 or 20 to 50.

If you look at the boards lately not much action, few people out chasin the sturgies.

End of august most of us will pick up and start in after them.

Your in a good spot otherwise. Sturgeon bite year round just that this warm part of the year they slow down.

Look through the past post (it may take awhile reading). You may have to go back to the begining pages, but you will find a whole bunch of good info.

Again welcome to the boards 2Q

sturgeon_general
07-22-2005, 05:50 PM
HELLO,MVP I LIVE IN ANTIOCH ALSO,WHEN I GET THE FEVER AND CAN'T GO OUT IN MY BOAT BECAUSE I HAVE TO WORK THE NEXT DAY,I'LL DRIVE DOWNTOWN TO RIVERVIEW LODGE PARK IN THE LAST PARKING SPACE TO THE WEST,PUT ON A 10 OZ. SINKER ON A STURGEON RIG SETUP,(I MAKE MY OWN USING 30 LB. MONOFILAMENT)AND CAST AS FAR AS YOU CAN TO THE CHANNEL,PROP YOUR POLE UP ON PILINGS AND SET POLE ON YOUR CAR HOOD.IF ITS COLD SIT IN YOUR CAR AND WATCH POLE THROUGH FRONT WINDSHEILD.TO SEE YOUR POLE TIP BETTER, GET A WHITE PLASTIC STRAW.CUT A PIECE OFF THE STRAW ABOUT 4 INCHES LONG INSERT THE STRAW IN YOUR POLE TIP YOU'LL NOTICE IT FITS VERY WELL,DOESEN'T INTERFER WITH YOUR LINE WHETHER YOUR CASTING OR REELING AND NOWAY CAN YOU MISS A BITE.NOW FOR THE BAD NEWS,THIS ONLY WORKS ON A OUTGOING TIDE.THE REASON FOR THIS IS MANY YEARS AGO RIVERVIEW LODGE HAD TWO FLOATING DOCKS FOR BOAT TRAFFIC,AFTER A BAD STORM ONE SANK,THEN A COUPLE YEARS LATER THE OTHER ONE SANK.SO IF YOU FISH IT ON A INCOMING TIDE YOU'LL GET SNAGGED ON THE RAILINGS THAT SURROUNDED THE DOCK.BEST FISHING TIME IS LAST HOUR OR TWO OF THE TIDE BEFORE IT SWITCHES AND STARTS COMING IN.GRASS SHRIMP OR GHOST SHRIMP MUD SHRIMP AND WATCH OUT FOR DEBRI FIELDS(WATER HYACINTH,LOGS,ETC.)BE PATIENT YOU'LL CATCH ONE,BUT HOW YOU WILL LAND IT IS ANOTHER STORY WILL DEAL WITH THAT AFTER YOU CATCH ONE,HA!HA!HUMPHREYS AND ANTIOCH BOAT RAMP WATER PUMP STATION ARE GOOD ALSO LOTS OF WEIGHT TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON THE BOTTOM.I'D ALSO ASK FISHKILLER FROM THE FORUM, I THINK HE'S FROM PITTSBURG BUT NOT SURE,BUT WHAT I'VE READ FROM WHAT HE HAS WRITTEN I'D SAY HE IS A VERY INTELLIGENT PERSON ON ALL SUBJECTS RELATED TO FISHING,GOOD LUCK YOUR GOING TO NEED IT,STURGEON GENERAL.

MVP
07-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Thanks for welcoming me to this board I plan to be an active member!!

Like tackle for river fishing for me is my 7 1/2 ft medium-light action fenwick rod with 12lb test or my 8ft fenwick rod medium light action rod with my daiwa baitcaster.

I did hear though that I am in a very good location for sturgeon I just have no idea where to locate them.

I guess I am in the wrong season and everything right now. So I will wait for the colder months.

I do need bank locations for my fishing though ...I have no boat lol.

MVP

2QUARTSLOW
07-22-2005, 10:56 PM
MVP

Youll have a pretty rough time landing a 48"/45# from the bank with your equipment (Perfect setup for stripers on the river though).

Quick reference: Youll need a reel that will hold at least 250yds of 25# line, with a good drag. A rod with a sturdy backbone usually rated at a minimum 15-25#. The reason during the season the water moves pretty good and you will be tossing anywhere from 8oz to 12oz from the back. And once in awhile even 16oz.

And if you have a 6'/100# fish running its tough to stop him in his tracks.

Some of the guys here fish your area, so they will probably be able to put you onto some good bank spots. the board is a little slow right now but youll get some replies pretty soon.

2Q

STURGEONSTOMPER
07-23-2005, 03:40 AM
Look up Fishkiller, he will hook you up ;)

fishkiller
07-23-2005, 09:17 AM
8) ;)Quiet Im getting a bite, ah yes but another for the freezer. Look me up whats up ohhhhhhhhhhhhh welcome to the boards , my first suggestion if you wanna fish your rig would be go to the antioch pier and try. Or beldens of hwy 12 grizzly island rd here you would almost be asured to hook up a sturgy fish grass shrimp pile ghost pile eel and see if you can land one.Or maybe yea could come fish a day with me on a weekend. ;) :o 8)

fishermen_chris
07-23-2005, 10:47 AM
oh quit braggin ;D
MVP- if you wish to catch a dino im the killer, his name says it all ;)

MVP
07-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks for all of the advice I really appreciate it...I have some new tackle to buy it would seem. Are you guys serious though a 16oz weight ??? ??? WOW thats crazy I guess that water really moves over there in Antioch.
You would need a huge sling shot to get that type of weight out there.

Thanks again for all the advice

MVP

STURGEONSTOMPER
07-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Or a 12 foot fishing pole ;D

fishkiller
07-23-2005, 07:11 PM
8)you only need 16 oz of cold beer or soda , most of the time 8oz will work anywhere some places you will need 10 to 12 , I only used 16 oz in the last 5 yrs once at the pge plant on a big outgo.In 58 ft of water. ;) 8)Most of the time I like lite takle 8'6 steelhead rods 20 pound mono 3-6 oz sinkers but Im in a boat . ;)It aint braggin if you can back it up bro fresh and hot with ritz coating . ;) ;D 8)

fishguts
07-24-2005, 09:24 PM
MVP, be on the look out for the transients that hang out under/around the River View lodge. I've never fished with the great and wise fishkiller yet, but met him at the launch one day when I was heading out and he is a real nice guy, so hook up with him. I am hoping to someday.
I sen you an e-mail on some places to try that I remember from my pier fishing days. Should be helpful.
Joe P. (fishguts)

sunracer1957
07-25-2005, 09:05 AM
You might try Getting in touch with

mjonesjr

He lives in the Pitts area and is an avid Sturgeon guy and has banked fish the area for many years maybe he can help..

DragonSlayer
07-26-2005, 09:22 AM
I second that Sun, Mjonesjr is the east bay bankie king. you can look him up in the profile page and see his previous post. All ideas here are good ones ....... but i didn't see anyone point out the hitchhiker board. Go there and you'll find a ride if you want to go to the Sturgeon. Their slow now but it's almost time to start hunting. Oh and welcome to the Fish Sniffer ;D

DS 8)