PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Line

Bait_N_Wait
06-29-2005, 09:35 PM
Ok folks, I've been lurking here for several months. I REALLY enjoy this board, so thank you to all you folks who share your hard-earned knowledge. I regularly fish with DirtyDan, and FishKiller has been kind enough to show me the ropes.

Here's my question: I'm thinking of changing line to something stronger and with less stretchiness (is that a word?). I have talked to many guys and it seems that everyone has a different opinion regarding test weight and braided versus mono. SO, LET"S HEAR YOUR OPINION! I'm thinking 35 pound, braided. Let's hear your perfect test/stretch. Thanks, Nick. ;D ;D

P.S. Those Columbia River pics are CRAZY. I'm there next year.

krzyfshrmn
06-29-2005, 10:06 PM
I run 30# Maxima Chameleon. The stuff is tough as nails, and very abrasion resistant. I like it :-/

2QUARTSLOW
06-29-2005, 10:36 PM
Well. Lets see.

I have used mono for years, usually 30# maxima green, like krzy said its stong as nails.

I just recently switch over to braid 50#. Powerpro seems to be the best thing going right now. However, just this year Powerpro has introduced 40#. Might be going to that instead of 50. Wait for other to reply about thier opinion but everyone here that has fished for sturgeon for years always have used mono maybe dacron at times. But now that braid has entered the market it seems to be awesome stuff.

just my .02

2 quarts low

tankgrunt
06-30-2005, 06:19 AM
I'm currently using 50# PowerPro in moss green color. Next time I spool a reel I think I'll try the Hi-Vis yellow.

PlugROCKSTAR
06-30-2005, 06:35 AM
Hi-Vis Yellow Power Pro. i'll be switching over to Tuff Line XP next season.

SturgeonVirgin
06-30-2005, 07:24 AM
On our trip to the columbia, the guide was very emphatic about his opinion of power pro. I have used it a few times, and thought it worked well but after a couple of months use, it seems to just snap for no reason, like casting or one time just bouncing the bait into the hole.

This guy said he used it for a full year and could not get rid of it fast enough. Said he had the same issues, it seemed to work ok for a short time then started having mystery breaks. Switched over to Tuf-line XP, says it is awesome. I'm gonna try it myself this sturgeon season. I do know that we boated some 8-10 fish in the 200-400 lb. class over two days using tuf-line, and there was never any question about the line holding up. Thats good eonough for me.

Mr.Pescador
06-30-2005, 03:39 PM
I like the braided lines also.Which brands are best,I don't know.What I like is the lack of stretch on the hook set. One tip: NEVER touch the line when a fish is running.I accidentally touched it for a half a second with a 9 footer on. Cut me almost to the bone.

penn_yan_bill
06-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Started using Stren hi-vis yellow, 30 lb. many years ago. Mainly because back then it was the only line I found in yellow. Used to do a lot of night fishing and the hi vis was a plus. Might change to something else now that I'm in Virginia.

wayneo
06-30-2005, 04:04 PM
I've been useing bagley's silver thread copolymer for a long time 30 lbs test can't break the s$$t. :o

fishkiller
06-30-2005, 05:30 PM
8)cold water winter time 50-65 lb braid, after every trip cut off white or frayed portion of line it will fail at some point.end of spring 30lb mono or 20 pound mono but I only use p-line cxxx strong in hi vis yellow. ;) :o 8)

fishguts
07-01-2005, 07:41 AM
20lb stren high impact, clear.
Joe P.

innovate
07-01-2005, 09:01 AM
25lb test Berkeley Big Game / 30lb test Power Pro for me.

DinoBlaster
07-01-2005, 09:57 AM
65# power pro..been fine pulling in big fish, make sure you have a backing on your reel or it will spin the entire spool and dig into itself and snag. After catching a large fish ( oversize freight train) I un-spool the line on another reel and re-spool back on my main reel. Yea, lots of work but no fails after 3 years. By all means never let it backlash you'll be very sorry! I also agree with FishKiller! P-Line XXXStrong can't get any better. My .02 DB 8)

gopedxr
07-01-2005, 04:12 PM
25lb test Berkeley Big Game / 30lb test Power Pro for me.

Awesome Choice :)

MB_Kevin
07-02-2005, 03:27 AM
65# power pro..been fine pulling in big fish, make sure you have a backing on your reel or it will spin the entire spool and dig into itself and snag. After catching a large fish ( oversize freight train) I un-spool the line on another reel and re-spool back on my main reel. Yea, lots of work but no fails after 3 years. By all means never let it backlash you'll be very sorry! I also agree with FishKiller! P-Line XXXStrong can't get any better. My .02 DB 8)
Thats what I have heard and it makes sence the line thats in the water gets the damage so once its starts to fail re do it and the fresh line on the bottom should be good on the top. NOt from experiece just from the sniffers.

JIM_D.
07-02-2005, 04:27 AM
I use spider wire stealth, I have reels with 100, 65 and 40 lb test line on them. Never had a fish or a snag break my line. With the 100, I have pulled up big logs from the bottom along with many other things. So if you worry about your line breaking, spider wire stealth is my choice.

Bait_N_Wait
07-14-2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks for everyone's input - much appreciated. NickyJ

NWOregonGuide
07-16-2005, 11:39 PM
65# Tuff Line or Power Pro all the way. We catch hundreds of sturgeon every June, as well hundreds of salmon and steelhead during the rest of the year and I use the same line for two to three years. There is no mono that will last like that.

I've heard of people reversing their line after a year or two but I've never heard of anyone doing it for each big fish. We catch two to four oversize fish a day when we target them and I use the same line for years.

Besides the toughness the facts that there is no streach, it doesn't break down in sun light and it doesn't absorb water make this like an invaluable tool.

Beaversprings
07-18-2005, 09:17 PM
I agree with Dave. I use power-pro or tuff-line, from 30# to 80# depending on what we are targeting. This is one place that I can forget about failures. All my bait casters are spooled with this stuff. And it absolutly last for years. ;)