PDA

View Full Version : Question on fishfinders "seeing" downrig

norcalfishslayer
09-27-2005, 10:51 PM
I have heard (and even seen pics) of fishfinders being able to see the downrigger ball. Also was told to be able to do this, you need a dual freq. transducer. Hmm, well I have a Ratheyon L-470 that has 200kHz, and 50kHz, but I never have seen the weight show up.

Is it possible to do with the fishfinder? Do you have to have the side looker transducer? It sure would be nice so be able to see it, as it would make it much easier to get the weight at the right depth. Any help would be great!

Also, does nayone know anything about the L-470? It seems to be okay, but I don't like a few of it's features (or lack there-of).

Frank

Oxbow
09-28-2005, 05:39 AM
I use a Lowrance X-75 and can see the rigger ball and most of the time I can also see the release clips. When I'm stacking the clips, I can see depth for both clips. So, it can be done but I don't have any info on your unit.

Off_The_Hook
09-28-2005, 05:42 AM
I am not framiliar with the fishfinder you have, so I don't know what it is capable of. Resolution, power, etc.. Although I would assume the Raytheon is a good unit.

On my first boat, I had a $99 Eagle. Never saw my downrigger balls. Never really saw much at all for that matter.

I upgraded to a good quality black and white unit, and there were the downrigger balls.

On the boat I have now, I have a Lowrance LCX-19c. It shows the downrigger balls very clearly. And if i'm not mistaken, it shows the upper clip also when I stack them.

I run mine on 200khz, with no special settings. I would check the angle of your transducer. The smallest adjustment might help. I don't know where your downriggers are mounted in relation to your transducer, but maybe your downrigger balls are outside of the cone when you are trolling. Your sensitivity could be a little low also.

fishnmike2002
09-28-2005, 06:48 AM
Norcal,

Being able to see you downrigger balls on the graph is dependent on where your transducer is mounted and how deep you have the downrigger. If the transducer is mounted on the back of the boat and you can reach it from inside the boat, try adjusting the angle of it (back and forth) and you will probably be able to see the downrigger balls. I have to do this with mine when I am fishing shallow.

FishnMike

sellhomes2fish
09-28-2005, 10:57 AM
I have the Eagle SeaFinder 480DF on my boat and can see the downrigger ball in 200khz or 50khz. I agree with a previous thread about adjust the transducer angle if you want to track the downrigger weights.

norcalfishslayer
09-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Norcal,

Being able to see you downrigger balls on the graph is dependent on where your transducer is mounted and how deep you have the downrigger. If the transducer is mounted on the back of the boat and you can reach it from inside the boat, try adjusting the angle of it (back and forth) and you will probably be able to see the downrigger balls. I have to do this with mine when I am fishing shallow.

FishnMike

Okay, I just relized why I can't see the weights... My 'riggers are mounted on the sides of the boat about 4' from the strarn. Additionaly, I have 30" booms on the 'riggers, so I imagine that the weights are far enough outside of the cone as to not see them. I guess if I had the sidelooker transdicer, I could see the weights. It sure would be nice to be able to see them. But I couldn't mount the 'riggers at or near the stearn because of boat design. Bummer... :'(

Thanks for the info guys...

Frank

Off_The_Hook
09-29-2005, 06:47 AM
I don't know about that Frank. My riggers are mounted on the sides, 3' feet from the stern, and I have booms adjustable to 60". I still see mine fine. I wouldn't give up yet.

Off_The_Hook
09-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Not that it should matter, but what size downrigger balls are you using? I'm just wondering if you are using really small downrigger balls, and you are trolling fast, maybe they are way out of the cone. Just a thought.

Also, I took a quick look at the specs of your unit. I see the resolution is only 240 x 128. I'm no resolution expert, but that may not be enough to see the balls. I'm not sure though. Maybe someone else could chime in on that.

Empire
09-30-2005, 05:52 AM
If you are using the "auto sensitivity" turn it off!

The auto sensitivity will see the balls as clutter and turn the sensitivity down to where the balls wont show up on the screen.

I usually run my sensitivity at 96 to 98%. Here you can see the two downrigger balls. I raised the lower one when I came upon the ridgetop.

www.members.aol.com/alzempire841/092705ff.jpg

norcalfishslayer
09-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Not that it should matter, but what size downrigger balls are you using? I'm just wondering if you are using really small downrigger balls, and you are trolling fast, maybe they are way out of the cone. Just a thought.

Also, I took a quick look at the specs of your unit. I see the resolution is only 240 x 128. I'm no resolution expert, but that may not be enough to see the balls. I'm not sure though. Maybe someone else could chime in on that.

I use 8 and 12 pounders. Them's some big balls! :P Could be the resolution. Looking into another fish finder at the moment with a better resolution. Not just for the tracking of the weights, but for other things also.

Dennis
02-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Empire is right! Also zoom in if you have that feature. Drop the dowrigger balls to 30' or 40' and the cone angle should be wide enough to see the track. On the other hand if that's the justifcation, go for a new unit. ;)

metalmouth
02-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Any unit that can see a fish can see 10 lbs. of lead. It has to be the transducer angle. *;) I can see a 1/8th oz. jig head at 70 feet with my electric trolling motor front unit a X67C ;D

willbilly
02-18-2007, 10:08 AM
I also can see my weights and stacked clips from my bow mount X-135 transducer.

a clip shows up when stacked so a ball show-es up for sure.
what I notice is if going fast with a big swing back I loose the balls sometimes.

Just play with your transducer angle and you will most likely get them.

Good Luck

TP
02-18-2007, 01:55 PM
This may sound funny but I dont see your downrigger ball in that picture. Are the straight lines your downrigger balls?

fishermankev
02-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Here's a picture of an 8 lb weight over a sandy bottom on a lowrance lcx-19. *If you increase your speed the ball can trail off out of the cone, but the deeper you are the bigger the cone as well. *I agree don't use autosensitivity (I run about 85% manually set) but at trolling speed you should see the ball go down and come up as well.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2557/p1010167gf8.th.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010167gf8.jpg)

My advice is to lower the ball at a dead stop to set your sensitivity; you should see it. *Then as you pick up speed see where you lose it; at that speed it trails too far behind you and runs out of the cone. *If that's the speed you usually use and you want to see the ball, you need a heavier ball to keep it in the cone.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

huggyspot
02-18-2007, 06:32 PM
I have a eagle fishmark 320 and I can see both 4 and 8# balls on both of my riggers and me riggers are mounted on the sides of my boat so you shoud be able to se your with a little adjustment

HUGGY

somebody
02-18-2007, 06:56 PM
i have a humminbird 77 series and mine show as fish in a straight line at the depth its at

metalmouth
02-18-2007, 07:36 PM
Yes, the large straight line in the DR weight.

basil
02-18-2007, 09:17 PM
I have a 200 dollar unit and Eagle something, I can see my 4 oz weights down to 80 feet or more ( I just haven't looked deeper). You don't need some 2 frequency transducer, they're close to useless. You will just end up with a real small piece of water you will be looking for fish in.

THe 2 freq. jobs are good if you are going real deep, but you can't fish that deep most of the time.

c-swirl-sean
02-28-2007, 05:16 PM
I rin my Garmin 498C and Lowrance Lcx27CHD at 200Kh, and manually set both of them at 97%. For me the key is to avoid using the "auto gain setting" you want see the clutter. When, I do this I really get to see more than just the contours, and random fish. I clearly mark more bait and fish that are are on the move.

Mako
03-01-2007, 01:49 PM
I had a Lowrance LMS-350A and now an LCX-26C HD and with both I had no problem seeing the downrigger balls. Downriggers mounted about 4' from stern. Try making sure that your transducer is running perpendicular to the water surface.