PDA

View Full Version : Shore rockfishing

CenCoast_Angler
05-11-2006, 09:44 PM
I caught a new personal best cabezon last Sunday.
23 inches and 5lbs 8ozs!!!!

Would've posted earlier but just got the pics from my buddy's camera.
This beast was caught on frozen squid on a dropper loop setup with a 6/0 octopus circle hook and 3 oz torpedo sinker. 20 lb test on a 7 foot spinning rod/reel. I was fishing on the Central Coast. It was an incoming tide but still pretty low, about 2--2.5. It fought really hard...I thought it was a lingcod for sure. Couldn't get it up to the surface until it was about 5 feet away.
I've fished this spot about 4 times in the past month and caught plenty of 15-17 inch cabs but nothing worth braggin about.
This was the first cabezon to meet my new Fry Daddy deep fryer. It made excellent fish tacos. I don't think I'll be frying fish on the stovetop ever again.
Thanks for the tips that helped me catch this beast,
PK

*http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/4176/smallerimg05879ve.jpg

fbanaria
05-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Can you tell us what bait you were using for these cabezones? Thanks!

wading2fish
05-12-2006, 04:50 AM
:o :oDang cca, that IS worth bragging about. nice job!

Fish_R_Us
05-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Nice Cab. I like it when you set the hook and you can feel the tugging back. I love it when you fight them and get them partially up to the surface. Then they realize it and round 2 begins. I had it when the fish just wedges up between the rocks and you have to wait it out till it relaxes before you pop him out of his lair!. I've noticed that the bites seem to still follow the pattern.. nibble... wait...nibble... wait...nibble again, set the hook and hold on! Keep it up.

CenCoast_Angler
05-12-2006, 08:56 AM
To answer a Q above, I caught it on frozen squid. Actually, its all I ever use. Tried shrimp but it doens't work as well for me.
And...a little side note: I use the Sea Wave brand frozen calamari that you buy at Safeway in the frozen food section. This is a 3-pound box. Sea Wave also makes frozen calamari that sells in most tackle shops..but the box is only like 1.5 pounds and the squid are always smaller than the ones in the big box. I'm telling you, there's something about these bigger squid. Maybe better quality because they're intended for human consumption? who knows. Either way, they are much bigger than the ones in the small box.

Thanks guys! And gals!

PK

TSL
05-12-2006, 10:34 PM
pretty fish

i would have let it go

TSL

in a pigs eye
that fish would never have gotten cold

AzSprig
05-13-2006, 03:31 PM
The only way that fish would look better is with grill marks on it ;) Nice job on the CAB, I can't wait to hit the rocks up in Ft Bragg next month, you never know what your gonna come up with in my little "secret" spot, but its always good for a nice Cab or two.

LuLu22
05-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Nice fish !!
You are sure right on the mark about the calimari in the box from Safeway. I use that too. It is much better squid!
Thank you for the report !
Ron

CenCoast_Angler
05-14-2006, 02:15 PM
Went out again yesterday and found a sweet new spot. Only accessable during a real low tide. Used the same setup with the same bait and got plenty of nice, quality fish -- browns, grass, blues, cabs. All fish were released safely.
Check out this fatty grass RF that my buddy caught. And released.
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9499/smaller513pg0028bz.jpg
This thing looked like a fat smallmouth bass! Very cool fish.

PK

hairywullie
05-14-2006, 03:15 PM
;D Ya got me motivated cen-angler.

I found this awesone looking rock spot. It's north of davenport south of Bean State beach.
The Furbags were there so I didn't fish it but now I'm getting hungry after looking at your catch, those pesky seals are gonna get the boot tomorrow..
I'll visit safeway before I go out there, thanks for the bait tip!!!

Fish-on.................................... ;D

Fish_R_Us
05-15-2006, 11:44 AM
There's some awsome cliff areas just south of Davenport. You park at the normal spaces, hike over the RR tracks, and down the wall. There's a place where somebody sank a long metal rod and you need to lower your stuff down and then rappel down to the shelf. Looks real deep so be careful. It's a place for all the Ex Special Forces guys. The other place - Bean State Beach? Do you mean Bean Hollow State Beach? That's about 25 minutes north of the Santa Cruz/ San Mateo countyline, there's alot of coastal rockfishing places between those areas.

hairywullie
05-15-2006, 03:17 PM
Yes, fish r us, "Bean Hollow "state beach is what I really meant. ;D The spot I was talking about was actually just a little north not south. There's a trail there and its only 100 feet off the road.
I went there this morning and the wind was howling real bad, it was cold too.
My Gf wouldn't stay and fish. She wanted WARM weather so we took a nice drive back through 84 and intented to fish the bay.
I know that spot across the RR tracts you speak of. I aint climbing down there ;D ;D,, holy smokes what a drop that is I can barely bring myself to look over the edge let alone climb down there. I'm a little afraid of heights.

My second plan was to have lunch at El Toritos on the bay by the airport
then go a walk out on the old San Mateo bridge and jig lures for butts or sharks in the bay.
Well that plan fell apart too. they closed that pier to public fishing. Anyone know why they closed it down?
Tomorrow I`m gonna go to Saucilito (sp) and fish from that pier. the GF loves that place and she should be happy hanging out while I fish..
I`ll give a report tomorrow if I hook up,,,,,, cheers!

CenCoast_Angler
05-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Went out Sunday for 2 hours on the Central Coast (finished my honeydo's early and wanted to kill some time before the Sharks game). Fished the low tide (only 2.7 or so) and 1.5 hours of the incoming tide. The swell was way down compared to Saturday. As close to a lake as Monterey Bay gets.
Fished with the same setup 7 foot spinning gear with a dropper loop, 5/0 octopus circle hooks and 3oz torpedo sinkers. Always use frozen squid, as stated above.
Caught a really fat cabezon right off the bat--19 inches and 3lbs 8ozs!!! It was a beautiful red cab with a huge head. Unfortunately, I forgot the camera...so no pics this time. Its usually bad luck to catch a fish on my first cast but its also usually good fishing if I forget the camera so they kinda cancelled each other out. I caught another cab, about 15 inches in the same spot. Bothe cabs were released unharmed--thanks to the circle hooks. Then nothing for a couple casts so I moved to another new spot and hooked into a big fish. It snagged up in some kelp or a rock though. After about 5 minutes of tug-o-war I couldn't tell if it was still on there so I started wrenching on the line and eventually broke off. Oh well, I know where he lives. Hopefully it wasn't an otter. They were everywhere yesterday! I started naming them, Roger, Jimmy, Janet, etc.
All in all, it was a good day. Except for the Sharks loss. Oh well, it might be time to shave my playoff beard anyways.

Going back after work Wednesday,
PK

Fish_R_Us
05-15-2006, 03:36 PM
HairyWullie,
That place north of BHSB is a nice place which i call a "Hit & Run" place. Good for about 1 hour to hit all the holes. Then it's off to the next place. Actually the best place is just south of the beach. You park at the lot, tredge across the sand beach and up the hill , across the the head. South of the head are alot of places that hold fish. Go rsouth and you'll run into the House where the CA Park Rangers live. There's always CA rangers trucks parked there. Good Luck

David_M
05-15-2006, 07:48 PM
awesome cab and your buddy should be proud of that GR..One that size is rare indeed..Good job

Fish_R_Us
05-16-2006, 12:01 PM
HairyWullie,

The S. Mateo Bridge Pier has been closed down for about 6 years now. The responsibles claim that the pier (actually the old 2 lane bridge) was in need of repair and is unsafe. It does not appear to be shifting or falling apart. There was also a report that some fisherman was robbed and got shot one evening. I always liked that pier, especially in the winter when it was a place where you could catch a big sturgeon. I remember hauling lanterns and fishing all night. I still remember the old 2-lane bridge w/ the vertical drawbridge at the channel. Toll was 50 cents to cross. It was the early 1970's when the old bridge was replaced w/ the current one. You can see where people are climbing over the barbed wire gate so I believe people are sneaking in and fishing at night.

hairywullie
05-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Your right fish-R-us. Regarding the "Werder pier", Not only has the barbed wire has been climbed over. but now the wire gate wire has been cut too.
People are still using it against the rules.
As I remember the tale, two fisherman got murdered late at night on that pier, on seperate occasions
I fished that pier a lot at night years ago.
I usually walk softly and carry a big GUN, I never had any probs. guess I was lucky.
I found some info online regarding the loss of funding and the deteroration of the pier. Looks like it's a gonner,, too bad I had some great trips out there as a youngster!! >:(

http://www.eparks.net/vgn/images/portal/cit_609/128035828Werder040224.pdf

http://www.upsac.org/upsac-survey/werder/index.html

CenCoast_Angler
05-16-2006, 10:29 PM
I just caught a new personal best rockfish today. I was fishing after work on the Central Coast with the same old setup, frozen squid on a dropper loop with octopus circle hooks.
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7901/44pn.jpg
First I caught a nice red cabezon. About 16 inches. Released. That was the 7th cabezon in a row, dating back to last wknd...no blues, no browns, just cabs. It was a good streak.
Then I broke it with this monster Grass RF.
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/4766/55na.jpg
It was 5lbs 2ozs and 22 inches long!!
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2556/32qg.jpg

I love fishing after work during the week!
PK

SEEKER
05-17-2006, 05:00 AM
Beautiful fish. Great that you get to soak a line nightly. Keep up the good work and thanks for the reports.

CJC
05-17-2006, 06:33 AM
PK,
I see you have been killig the rock fish lately. Wow!! :o I also see that you lost that beard! what's up? ;D
Very nice pics. Keep them coming.

CenCoast_Angler
05-17-2006, 08:57 AM
I just checked and the current state record for Grass RF is 5lbs 1oz! So I beat it by an ounce. I printed out the paperwork and I intend to submit the application tomorrow. I should probably do it today but the Sharks are playing for their lives tonight at 5pm. I was actually planning on making fish tacos for the game but now I will have to postpone the fish tacos because I have to take the fish to the DFG office in Monterey to verify the fish species. Hopefully the fish hasn't lost too much weight while in the icechest. But I have a picture of the weight on the scale so hopefully that will hold up...?

Go Sharks!
PK

FishnRN
05-17-2006, 09:30 AM
Good Job! ;) Keep us up to date as far as what happens with the record!!

-Ben

hairywullie
05-17-2006, 09:46 AM
A hearty congratulations to you Cencoast. ;D
That is just awesome news, man if that was me priority 1 would be getting that fish certified.
People dream of some day catching State record, and you just did it..
Awseome..........Cant wait for the movie and book deals and sponserships.... ;D ;D
Great job man,, congrats again!!!!!!

Fish_R_Us
05-17-2006, 11:47 AM
PK,

Good deal with that huge GRF. I'm looking at that big mouth. It looks like your area has alot of rocky coastal areas with little or no fishing pressure to deal with. My friend has a big double sized poster showing a huge rocky bay that one could take a month to fully explore all the cracks and crevices. He said it was So Cal. but I'm wondering if it is Carmel area. Looks like you got the recipe down pat. Keep us posted.

CJC
05-17-2006, 01:34 PM
I just checked and the current state record for Grass RF is 5lbs 1oz! So I beat it by an ounce. I printed out the paperwork and I intend to submit the application tomorrow. I should probably do it today but the Sharks are playing for their lives tonight at 5pm. I was actually planning on making fish tacos for the game but now I will have to postpone the fish tacos because I have to take the fish to the DFG office in Monterey to verify the fish species. Hopefully the fish hasn't lost too much weight while in the icechest. But I have a picture of the weight on the scale so hopefully that will hold up...?

Go Sharks!
PK

Is that a certified scale? Wow! I hope you get it. :)

wading2fish
05-17-2006, 05:12 PM
once again good job cca. that is one beautiful grf and will make even more beautiful tacos. also try it on tostadas, very yummy! nice going and keep the reports coming...

*Deltadog*
05-18-2006, 06:47 AM
Whats a dropper loop setup? And how do you fish it?
* Dog

CenCoast_Angler
05-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Check out this awesome knot tying website: http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=ww w.animatedknots.com
It shows you how to tie a dropper loop. I use a stick for the twisting part (instead of a matchstick). Takes practice but now I've got it down pat.

A dropper loop is kinda like a hi-lo surf leader. In fact, I used to use those surf leaders and attach a snelled hook w/leader to the top loop(on the surf leader)...I would get snagged too often when I rigged up two snelled hooks, so I just used one hook. But those surf leaders cost $$ so I started tying my own dropper loops, thanks to that website.
Now I tie a dropper loop, making the loop stick out about 4 inches and attach the hook directly to the loop, no snelled leader. This helps minimize snags. I usually have about 12-18 inches of line between the sinker and dropper loop. Torpedo sinkers work best, they cast further (especially in windy conditions) and sink to the bottom faster (which is important when casting into a mess of bull kelp while a huge set is coming through).

I can't believe it took me this long to realize the shore rockfishing opportunities available to me, here on the coast. I've lived here for years but didn't start fishing off the rocks until this winter! It is very addicting (you never know what you're gonna catch and I never get skunked!) and I've been going every weekend since March. I even go fishing after work sometimes...maybe today.

Seriously, if you have the opportunity to try it...you should go for it!
I'm no pro, but feel free to send me a PM if you have any Q's about how, when , or where to catch rockfish from shore. It's a blast!

PK

Fish_R_Us
05-18-2006, 09:46 AM
PK,
I use almost the same setup using only a large loop w/ the hook directly tied to the loop. Less snags and the fish don't seem to mind. I didn't know there was a name for the setup. I use a different bait setup on top /bottom hooks. The only thing is finding a loop knot that won't pull thru when applying full tension. I'm tying my own leaders so you can keep the bottom hook down low and have the top hook a couple feet on top.

CenCoast_Angler
05-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Fish R us,
Ya, I loop the hook directly to the "loop" also..no leader=less snags for sure.
If you tie the dropper loop like it says, twisting 6 or 7 times, there is no way it will pull through under tension. Very strong knot.

PK

*Deltadog*
05-18-2006, 10:18 AM
thanks guys!!
Dog

CenCoast_Angler
05-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Went out after work yesterday. Fished around Central Coast area with frozen squid from 5-7. Between 4 of us, we caught 5 or 6 RF and a nice little lingcod. It is the first lingcod I've seen this year. It was only about 20 inches so it was released unharmed.
It was caught by a friend of mine who hadn't ever fished in the ocean. He's a basser but wanted to try ocean fishing after seeing some of our pics. So he went and bought a nice Okuma combo for $35 on his lunch break to go fishing with us today. What a lucky guy, his first time out and he manages to avoid getting snagged and.....catches a damn lingcod! Lucky SOB! We're gonna have to bring this guy more often.
Heres a pic: http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9812/lingcod5181th.jpg

Reel em up!
PK

*Deltadog*
05-19-2006, 12:51 PM
What's the PG area?
Dog

CenCoast_Angler
05-19-2006, 02:17 PM
PG=Pacific Grove, just south of Monterey.

PK

CenCoast_Angler
05-21-2006, 08:09 PM
I went out alone yesterday and managed 2 RF -- a grass and a brown. The grass went 2lbs 14ozs. Frozen squid.

Went fishing with 3 friends today and got rained on all day. Fortunately, I wore waders for most of the day so I was kinda dry. Got hit by a wave at our last stop. I caught a new personal best cabezon at our last stop that weighed 5lbs 10ozs, a true hog. Also got a fat kelp greenling and 2 other nice cabs. All fish released, unharmed. Frozen squid.
My buddy caught a new CA state record striped seaperch at 1lb 10ozs! The current record is only 1lb 6ozs. Sweet!
Pics T/K!

PK

h00kie
05-22-2006, 08:18 AM
WOW Cen! Congrats on the catches.... you're pretty good at what you're doing cuz you catch 'em on a consistant basis. Keep the posts & pics coming

pulper80
06-03-2006, 07:00 AM
Hey CC, awesome job, keep the posts and the pics coming! *Just because of this thread I am going to set up a rig like you suggested and try out what you have been doing. *

BTW, what happened with the possible record Grass Rock Fish? *I have three guesses:

1.) *DFG did not have enough "evidence" to give you credit
2.) *Turned out to be another one of the different billion species of rockfish nobody can identify without DNA analysis.
3.) *You are now famous and doing TV commercials and don't have time to post on this *board anymore. *;D

MB_Kevin
06-04-2006, 12:21 AM
Man Those are some nice fish. I sometimes find squid at safeway/pack n'save already cut into strips and ready to go, and evey time I have seen them they are on clearance so you get a big pacage for like 70 cents . PP got a striper on it. I hope you get the record! ;)

CenCoast_Angler
06-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Back in Reply #34 I mentioned catching my new personal best cabezon. Well, I finally got the pics from my buddy's camera!
Here they are: http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/5227/img0658small7um.jpg

5lbs 10ozs! And it was totally raining that day. Weird weather for late May.
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/83/img0660small1no.jpg

I can't get the California State Record but I have sent my scale to IGFA for certification. If they certify it (for 30 bucks), I may be able to get the record for Grass RF. Also, my buddy caught a 1lb 10oz Striped Seaperch, which is bigger than the current record.

BUT...I got something REALLY big today though...pics to be posted soon.
PK

CJC
06-04-2006, 07:29 PM
BUT...I got something REALLY big today though...pics to be posted soon.
PK
Dang it PK!! Another???

You really got the rock fishing thing down my friend! 8-)

I am going to give the report for Saturday. I met with CCA in Carmel and went fishing on the rocks for the first time in about 100 years. His directions to the rocks were great and I was able to find the place right away. I got there before he did and started fishing with a whole sardine with a rubber band wrap. After a couple of casts for no bites CCA show up with the good bait :D. He then proceeds to show me how it's done for soon after he gets there he lands the bigger fish of the day:

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/1197/p10102750hf.jpg

The I switch to the squid bait PK brought and we both hookup for a double:

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/1283/p10102767kc.jpg

Then PK lands this Blue that I have never seen before, very nice fish:

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/6107/p10102772zz.jpg

After that I was able to land 2 more little yellow and blacks like the ones in the second picture and PK got another small blue and a few more of the yellow and blacks. It was a nice day in the sun and we both got our faces burned, :-[

PK's friend came later in the day but the fishing slowed down soon after he arrived.

Thank you PK for showing me the ropes in your Carmel honey hole. It was a pleasure to meet with you and your friend. Got to do it again and next time I will be more prepared. ;D ;D

CenCoast_Angler
06-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Yesterday was pretty good, compadrejt. I had a great time. We'll get even more next time. Thanks for the pics too. Whenever I forget my camera, I seem have a good day of fishing. Fortunately you had your camera.

I went out again today further south. Fished off the rocks with my fried Jeff. We used frozen squid on dropper loop rigs with octopus circle hooks and 3oz torpedo sinkers. Fished from 12-4, tide was a low of 0.8 at noon. Pretty low for a mid-day tide. It was cool to see all of the tidepools exposed and the swell was super mellow. Wind was down too.
First cast got bites but lost it in the kelp (I was way out there). Second cast caught a nice red cabezon 16 inches and 1lb 15ozs.
Here he is:

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/9094/redcabsmall9vm.jpg

After snagging up and losing a couple rigs and a couple more fish we decided to move spots. As we were walking from our rocky outcropping I gazed out across the long sandy beach in between us and the next spot. It looked fishy. So we stopped and cast out our lines. I casted out really far with my new 10 foot Salt Striker rod, out past the first rocks and just inside the kelp line. It looked like the border between the kelp and sandy area. About 80 yards out.
I had switched to a 3-way swivel and a 3oz pyramid sinker. I felt small bites at first. Or what I thought were bites. I reeled up the tension and it went slack. The fish seemed to be swimming towards me. So I kept reeling up the slack until it stopped. I felt a head shake and set the hook. This thing just stuck to the bottom but I got it up and started bringing it in. It didn't seem really big, just like dead weight. Every 20 feet or so it would shake its head really violently.
When it finally breached the surface, I almost crapped my waders.
A HUGE Halibut!!!
I looked at my friend and said, "Dude, you gotta jump down there and grab it!" He started climbing down the rock when he stopped and asked, "Do halibut have teeth?" I told him to hurry up and grab the tail and toss it up on that rock. He barely got it by the tail and threw it up on the next rock just before the circle hook came out of his huge jaws.
I was so stoked! My first halibut from the shore! And it turned out to be a keeper!
Measured 33 inches long and weighed 12lbs 10ozs!
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/9721/halibut003small9zv.jpg

After I threw out a couple more times I decided to call it a day early and go see my friend Pete who works at Monterey Fish Company to see how to fillet a halibut. I'd never cleaned one before. Turns out to be one of the easiest fish to clean. I got 4 huge boneless, skinless fillets. Gonna have a big BBQ tomorrow. I'm looking for a good halibut recipe now.

Heres another picture.
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/1237/img0796small1ix.jpg

Epic day. Now I can't wait to get back out there and try to catch some more halibut!
PK

*Deltadog*
06-05-2006, 07:16 AM
You are the master PK!! Nice looking fish!! Makes me want to leave work right now and go!!
By the way, what is up with the tounge?? Your trademark I take it...
* * Dog

CenCoast_Angler
06-05-2006, 08:01 AM
* By the way, what is up with the tounge?? Your trademark I take it...
* * Dog

I don't know...good question. Guess its kinda like Jordan after he throws down a huge dunk on someone...? Halibut fishermen don't smile either.

Still stoked,
PK

dadams
06-05-2006, 08:56 AM
CCA you are the super-matt of the saltwater post, nice flattie, congrats on the epic rockfishing trip, makes me want to abandon my Bodega Bay haunts and drive south.

CJC
06-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Hey PK,

That is one awesome fish!! I guess that new rod payed off with dividens. 80 yard casts huh? I'd bet you if you spool up with braid you can do 100. :o

Congrats :exclamation [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

MB_Kevin
06-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Sweet fish. What is the legal length of a *Halibut? *
*I didn't even notice your tongue out next to those huge fish until it was pointed out.
*I need to go rock fishing with y'all some day. You are finding better fish then I do here in Pacific. That is just over 100 miles from here though and about 1 hour 45 min on the navigator. Maybe I will just drive south of here along the coast and see what I can find.
Thanks for the great posts. You have me ready to get out there fishing ;)

Rusty_Hooks
06-05-2006, 06:33 PM
This is REALLY good stuff guys 8-)

R E A L L Y.....G O O D......S T U F F !!

Congrats PK.....

CJC
06-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Sweet fish. What is the legal length of a Halibut?
I didn't even notice your tongue out next to those huge fish until it was pointed out.
I need to go rock fishing with y'all some day. You are finding better fish then I do here in Pacific. That is just over 100 miles from here though and about 1 hour 45 min on the navigator. Maybe I will just drive south of here along the coast and see what I can find.
Thanks for the great posts. You have me ready to get out there fishing ;)

LOL, I guess I am a little closer to Carmel than you. I am only 80 miles away. ;D ;D And because it was such a long day with the sun on my face during my return trip on Saturday I was having troubles keeping my eyes open. I had to stop for a breather. ;D

But I would not attemp to go to Carmel from San Fran on Hway 1. That would take a whole day!

CenCoast_Angler
06-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Oh, c'mon guys...I don't know how BAD it would be to drive all the way down HWY 1. I've made the drive up to Pescadero to take my wife to Duartes a bunch of times. There is some very fishy water up that way.

Anyways...on to the report.
Just a quick report here, I'm at work.

Went fishing on the Central Coast yesterday after work with two friends, Chris and Ryan. We went out with the intention to catch another halibut like I got Sunday. We went to the same spot and I made 5 casts for halibut before deciding that it was way too rough to cast into the surf. The tide ws up and the swell was huge. I was fishing frozen squid on a 3-way swivel with 4oz pyramid sinker and 5/0 circle hook. No bites, no nothing.
So we moved about 200 yards north to fish off the rocks for RF and maybe a cabezon. At first, the trip was feeling pretty skunky. But...I was at the beach...fishing....after a long day of work -- so it wasn't THAT bad.
Then it happened.
In the corner of my eye, I see Ryan swing and set the hook. He shouts, "Fish ON!" and I quickly reel my line in to assist with the landing. I see his 12 foot spin rod bending pretty good and ask if its a big fish. He says, "It fu*$en better be!" He had endured about 3 skunks in a row before hooking this fish so I was really hoping it was a nice fish.
After a long battle against a big fish, big waves, and gnarly rocks, I see the fish surface.
LINGCOD!!!! A big one too!
I scampered down the rocks and grab the line (bad idea, I know) and yank it up onto the rocks. Holy crap! Thats a big lingcod!
Ryan starts dancing around like an old prospector who just struck gold! It was hilarious and we were all high-fiving like we just won the superbowl.
After we calmed down I got out the tape to measure the beast...just to make sure its legal. Oh ya, its 29 inches long! Thats legal. It weighed a tad under 7lbs. Nice fish.
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7540/6606carmel31ee.jpg
We got our lines back in the water and I ended up catching a big cabezon, 17 inches and fat 3lbs even.
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/2773/6606carmel156de.jpg
Then a nice grass RF, then another. Then Chris got a nice cabby too! All in the span of about an hour. Not too shabby. All fish were caught on frozen squid. Kept the ling and a cab. All others were released.
It was a great evening of fishing and I had completely forgot about my crappy day at work by the time I got home!
All I could think about was that fish!
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/3135/6606carmel92ep.jpg

Go get em,
PK

*Deltadog*
06-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Alright how do you join your guys club? That's is IT!! I am going to take a cruise down there and check this place out!! How far off from that link you gave me wre you fishing PK? I am totally envious!!
* *Dog

wading2fish
06-07-2006, 11:50 AM
cca, I am amazed at your results rockfishing! it seems everyday for you is an epic day. keep em coming! and MB, if you decide to cruise down south that way give me a call.

CenCoast_Angler
06-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys!

To think, I've lived here most of my life and never knew the possibilities of shore rockfishing. Didn't even start rockfishing from shore until February this year.

PM me if you are coming down here for a fishing trip, I'll give you directions. Going out tomorrow after work.

And yes, deltadog, I was fishing at the place I sent you a link to.

Git r dunn!
PK

*Deltadog*
06-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks PK, I will have to try to take a cruise down there. Maybe you can show and give me some pointers???
Dog

CJC
06-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Oh, c'mon guys...I don't know how BAD it would be to drive all the way down HWY 1. I've made the drive up to Pescadero to take my wife to Duartes a bunch of times. There is some very fishy water up that way.

I have made that drive one summer weekend from SF to Sunset beach. It took more than 3 hours. But there was a lot of traffic that day. ;D

But that drive is looking more attractive with every new picture you post!! ;D ;D

polybass
06-07-2006, 02:16 PM
congrats hey cen coast angler wer do u catch these fish, there're huge .
any tips like wer u go the spot or sumthing, thnx

MB_Kevin
06-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Nice fish again :o
The drive would be fun. It is harder to drive down highway 1 from here now that highway 1 is closed at devils slide so I would have to drive around it. You have me thinking about it. I wanted to at least hit the rocks here but the tides look bad this weekend unless I want to go fishing at about 5AM :-[.
Striper's this weekend Rock fish next weekend ;)
Keep the pic coming 8-)

pulper80
06-09-2006, 06:26 AM
Couple questions:

1.) *How do you attach the hook to the dropper loop, just use a snell knot?

2.) *Anybody have directions to a good rocky spot just north of Santa Cruz? *I want to take Pink_Lady out this weekend and try CCA's setup. *(She is buying frozen squid at Safeway today after work) * :)

*Deltadog*
06-09-2006, 07:13 AM
Pulper,
When making your dropper loop, make it around 4"-5" long. Attach your hook directly to the loop. And as far as fishing spots go, CCA hooked me up with this link, check it out. It is a great visual tool for picking out spots!!
http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/location.cgi?flags=0&year=current&latdeg=36.955965 &longdeg=121.994000
* *Dog

pulper80
06-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the link deltadog, I remember checking out that website a long time ago but I had lost the link to it!

When you say "attach the hook directly to the loop" - do you just feed the line through the eye so that the hook slides freely along the loop, or when you attach it do you use some knot to tie the hook directly to the loop?

*Deltadog*
06-09-2006, 07:39 AM
When you say "attach the hook directly to the loop" - do you just feed the line through the eye so that the hook slides freely along the loop, or when you attach it do you use some knot to tie the hook directly to the loop?

Slip the loop through the eye of the hook, then drop the hook back through the loop (like attaching a leader to a barrell swivel). Pull it tight. All set.
* Dog

pulper80
06-09-2006, 07:42 AM
Excellent, I finally understand, thanks! :)

*Deltadog*
06-09-2006, 07:53 AM
I have read CCA's posts like a devout disciple... I do believe he has been using the dropper loop method still, but has been experimenting with the three way swivel setup as well. It looks to have proved a wise choice judging by the flattie he caught and his buddies ling.
Dog

CJC
06-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Couple questions:

1.) How do you attach the hook to the dropper loop, just use a snell knot?

2.) Anybody have directions to a good rocky spot just north of Santa Cruz? I want to take Pink_Lady out this weekend and try CCA's setup. (She is buying frozen squid at Safeway today after work) :)

I was thinking of Redondo Beach just south of Half Moon Bay but I have never fished it. If you go let me know how you did. But be carefull, those waves look nasty over there from the pictures I have seen.

CenCoast_Angler
06-09-2006, 09:07 AM
Ya, I usually tie a dropper loop about 12-18 inches above the sinker. Then attach the hook directly to the loop by sliding the loop through the eye then looping it over the hook. (I think I may have used the word "loop" too many timers here!)
I do this to reduce the number of snags. If I was fishing a less-snaggy spot, I would probably just make a small loop and attach a longer leader to the hook (like the pre-snelled hooks w/a leader), instead of attaching the hook directly to the loop.

I have developed a tool to help tie dropper loops. It is a piece of bamboo, about 2 inches long and 1/4 inch diameter, with a slit in it. It helps A LOT! I will post pics of it when I get home. Along with some pics of dropper loop setups I make. AND maybe a picture of the fat kelp greenling I caught yesterday after work! Released to catch again.

Tomorrow is Free Fishing Day in Cali so get your friends out there and show them how fun it is to catch some fish....or at least how fun it is to TRY to catch fish while sipping some beer on the beach!

PK

pulper80
06-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Couple more questions:

1.) Where do you hook the Safeway Kalamari? Just right through the top of the head?
2.) Do you let the bait sit, or jig it around, or retrieve slowly?

*Deltadog*
06-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Cut it into about 2" pieces. Use the head and tail whole. Keep your hook pretty loaded, the smell really matters. Change it often. The good thing about fit for human consumption bait is, if you don't catch anything, you can eat the rest of your bait!! ;D ;)
Dog

CJC
06-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Cut it up in 2 or 3 pieces and hook through it twice with a 4/0 hook. We were using 2 of those cut pieces at times. Cast out and let is sit a while and move it if no strikes. The more you move it, the more chances of it to snag up with the kelp and rocks.

pulper80
06-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Cool thanks!

I have been checking the regs to make sure I don't do something illegal. *I have:

Cabezon - 1 fish, 15 inch min
Greenling - 1 fish, 12 inch min
Ling cod - 2 fish, 24 inch min
Halibut - 22 inch min

Now... am I reading this correctly that you can keep TEN of the common varieties of rockfish, and there is NO size limit? *So you could keep TEN Kelp rockfish even if they were like 9 inches? *That seems very lenient for DFG.

CenCoast_Angler
06-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Yup, thems the rules.
You can keep a combo of 10 fish.

So, an example would be:
one 13 inch greenling
one 16 inch cab
two 25 inch lings
and six other rockfish (you'll most likely catch browns, blues, grasses, or black+yellows)

When using squid, I cut it into 4 pieces --- the head, the tail, and two middle pieces. I'll usually put the head on first because it works best and the first cast into a new spot usually produces a hit. After a few casts (if the head is still on there), I'll slide a middle piece on there...or the tail. The tail stays on the hook best. Its hard to keep the head on there sometimes, if the swell is big.
If you don't get anything after a couple casts, try a different spot or put on a fresh piece. Fresh bait works so much better.

PK

pulper80
06-09-2006, 12:49 PM
And I'll make sure to fill up at the pump and spill gasoline all over my hands before rigging up and putting the squid on * :D

polybass
06-09-2006, 02:46 PM
dang all this talk about rockfishing is pumping me up, i always thought that the only way to get lings is from boats but looks like im wrong.

pulper80
06-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Purchases complete. *1 box Seawave Kalamari, eighteen 3oz triangle sinkers, 4 packs 5/0 eagle claw circle hooks.

<picture> insert huge rockfish picture here </picture>

CenCoast_Angler
06-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Ok. Here is the website for tying knots.
Check out the dropper loop knot.
http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=ww w.animatedknots.com

Go get em!
PK

Landlubber
06-10-2006, 02:55 PM
I believe CCA almost has it correct for the limits. Most but not all of the listed fish are included in the 10 fish limit. Lingcod and halibut are counted seperate. Greenling and cabs are counted in the 10 fish limit, along with the rockies.

CJC
06-10-2006, 06:34 PM
purper got me thinking that the north side of Santa Cruz might have some rockfish so I looked it up on the web and it sure looked kind of rocky and there was evidence of kelp growth. So I went at noon and explored a bit. Spent a couple of hours driving to different spots and sure enough there were a few areas with rocks. But the rock base was covered with sand and there were very little kelp growing near the shore. I finally found a spot in the middle of the lighthouse and the natural bridge state parks that had a moderate amount of kelp so I stopped and fished the area. Not a single bite. Not even a nibble. However I was right about it having rockfish. I saw them swimming at the edge of the kelp line. At least a half dozen of what could be cabezon or scorpion fish (brown color) ranging from 5 to 10lbs sticking their tongues at me. :P

I threw squid heads with 1 oz leads, w/ 1/2 oz, weightless, sardines weighted, weightless. They just huddled around and stared at the bait. They are pretty smart fish!! ;D ;D ;D

superx2
06-10-2006, 07:10 PM
I always use the whole squid on a 6/0 hook. Seems like the bigger the bait, the bigger the fish! i tie my hook to the mainline (30lb) then tie a dropper loop about 6-8 inches above the hook. I then have about another foot of 15lb test from the loop down to 1 or 2 spark plugs. that way if you hook a fish and it goes into a hole and your weight gets hung up it will bust off before you bust your mainline.

CJC
06-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Superx

It did not matter what size bait I put on today. My sardines were 7"-8" long and they did not want it. I could see them follow it for a while and then they would disappear when the wave comes in. There is nothing more natural than a bait fished weightless. Just bait, hook and line. They still did not want it. May be early in the am or at dusk. They just did not want my offerings when I was there. :-[ :'( :'(

maskas
06-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Anybody ever try fishing using sandbags instead of regular sinkers? I was in Mendocino on vacation a couple years ago and someone at a bait shop there told me to use a three way swivel with a hook and leader tied to one part of the swivel and a small leader of lighter line and a sandbag tied on to the other part. The sandbag just breaks off if it gets stuck in kelp or rocks, so the only thing you have to worry about is getting your hook snagged. It's really a pretty nice set up.

pulper80
06-11-2006, 07:12 AM
Superx

It did not matter what size bait I put on today. My sardines were 7"-8" long and they did not want it. I could see them follow it for a while and then they would disappear when the wave comes in. There is nothing more natural than a bait fished weightless. Just bait, hook and line. They still did not want it. May be early in the am or at dusk. They just did not want my offerings when I was there. :-[ :'( :'(

Well that makes me feel a little bit better. Pink Lady and I spent several hours yesterday at some spots in between Lighthouse and Natural Bridges recreation areas. We used the setup CCA uses and got nothing. I was concerned that we were fishing in the wrong spots and maybe no fish even saw the bait, but after your report, I think maybe we were doing the right thing, but they just weren't biting at that time.

I did however catch a huge barred surf perch which I will post pics of in a different thread since it isn't a rockfish.

CJC
06-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Pulper,

I might have seen you and Pink Lady. But I don't remember her being in pink. ;D ;D

I stopped and talked to you guys at about 10:30 when I was surveying the area. You were vertical jigging on the cliff and Pink lady casted way out and snagged up her 20# braid. I was not sure they were you so I did not say anything.

About not catching anything I think it's a combination of things:

First the spots were not even close to be as good looking as the ones in Carmel. Too much sand and not enough rocks and kelp.

There was a lot more fishing pressure than in Carmel. I must have seen 30-40 fishermen/women in that stretch while it was only CCA, his friend and I that were fishing in Carmel.

In summary I think it's the combination of not enough fish, too much pressure and the not so optimum tide (low tide was 5 am and high tide was going to be after dark that day).

Rusty_Hooks
06-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Sandbags......LOL

They call them Bull Duram sacks because you used to buy chewing tobacco in them. Sand, small rocks, old car parts...whatever, They're great, keep a load of them in your box....I used extra heavy rubber bands to attach them....just make sure you get new rubber bands every year.....

They don't make them like they used to!! ;)

My compliments on this thread guys....great work....

Something you need to keep in mind....my bet is you guys in Carmel are filing flight plans prior to casting each time with those alpha male sticks ::)

Quite a difference from drop jigging off the cliffs at Natural bridges!!

They are casting out to where the fish rarely see a hook...and not many can place bait out there.

Nice fish, great pics......keep em coming!!

CJC
06-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Something you need to keep in mind....my bet is you guys in Carmel are filing flight plans prior to casting each time with those alpha male sticks ::)

Quite a difference from drop jigging off the cliffs at Natural bridges!!

They are casting out to where the fish rarely see a hook...and not many can place bait out there.

That is quite accurate. Although I had a bite while I was fishing with my stealhead rod with a 40 yard cast. But then I changed to an 8' boat rod matched with a bait casting real. Still I was pushing 70 yards or so.

I was casting at least that far in Santa Cruz also, but did not get anything either way (close or far).

Rusty_Hooks
06-11-2006, 08:14 PM
I picked up a 15' Uloa pole in Hawaii last year....4-8oz, 20-50#

Maybe I'll take a little drive ;)

My bet is anywhere on the coast where you can put one out there 200-300 feet, your in territory that doesn't get much pressure.... :o

CenCoast_Angler
06-12-2006, 08:21 AM
I had a pretty rough weekend.
Fished from 10-6 on Saturday and only landed one fish. I lost a couple, including a huge fish. Definitely the biggest fish I've hooked from shore. I fought him through 2 potential snags and struggled for about 5 minutes before losing him 10 feet away. Crap! Broke my line 4 times Saturday.
Then I fished for a couple hours Sunday, from 2-6, for only one measly fish! Broke my line 6 times.
So...my total for the weekend was 2 fish for 10 break-offs. Wow! That is a bad ratio. Oh well, At least my friends got a couple nice fish.

compadrejt, you couse SEE the fish?! I will have to check out that spot!

And yes, I usually cast out pretty far. Especially now that I've got my 10 footer in action. But...the 2 fish I caught this wknd were only about 20 feet out. A small black+yellow and a small blue.

Better luck next time,
PK

CJC
06-12-2006, 08:42 AM
compadrejt, you couse SEE the fish?! I will have to check out that spot!

Check your pm. Go get them!! ;D

Rusty_Hooks
06-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Somebody need some new string ::)

CenCoast_Angler
06-16-2006, 08:21 AM
Went shore rockfishing on the central coast after work with compadrejt and a couple other friends. Fished with frozen squid on hi-lows, dropper loops, and 3-way swivels (not all at once, of course) from 5-8. The tide was receding the whole time we were there but the low was only about 2.9 so it wasn't down that far. There were some big waves rolling through but it was sunny and not-too-windy. Definitely the first day of "no-shirt" weather. Yeah, summer is finally here!

Well, we fished one spot pretty hard for an hour or so and only had one fish to show for it, a 14 inch rock greenling. So compadrejt and I decided to walk down the beach to try a spot I hadn't fished before. As soon as I got there I baited up, cracked a coors, and began looking for a good spot to cast. I saw a good looking break in the kelp about 50 yards out so I put my beer down and began walking out to the rocks. The tide had receded and exposed many slippery rocks. I nonchalantly made my way out when all of the sudden I took a wrong step on a lettuce-covered rock and SLIP! I totally bailed, hard, on my right side. Couldn't brace myself because I had my new rod in my right hand, so I just took it. BAM! I quickly jumped up, grabbed my rod and moved back away from the rock and just sat down to catch my bearings again. Fortunately, nobody saw me fall. I've seen every one of my friends fall and up until now I had been lucky enough to avoid a big spill.

After taking inventory of my wounds, possibly broken fingers, severely bruised arm and shoulder, completely soaked right side from falling into a tidepool...I thought, "Ahh, it ain't that bad. In fact, I should just throw out my line and be a trooper. How cool would it be to catch a fat rockfish moments after breaking my hand in a gnarly spill!" So I picked up my rod and began the walk back out to the casting spot. Threw my line in and waited.
One of my friends came over to see if I caught anything. I told him about the fall and showed him the blood dripping from my fingers. Just then, I felt the old familiar, TAP TAP TAP and set the hook with a vengence! After a quick battle, I got a nice 16 inch grass rockfish to shore. I was stoked! It turned out to be my only fish of the day but I definitely paid for it and in the end...It was totally worth it!

All in all, it was a great day, weather-wise. Good day of fishing. Not so great day of catching though. Back at the other spot, our friends caught a nice black+yellow and another greenling and a small cabby that was released. We kept the other fish because my friend's dad is in town from Conneticut and they wanted to cook up some fish for dinner.
I don't have any pics because i forgot my camera again. But I think compadrejt might have gotten a pic or two.

Going back out again today after work. Wife is outta town so I'm fishing Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. In fact, Saturday I'm going for the Man-Day Marathon, which is fishing in the morning and golfing in the afternoon!!! Sweet!

PK

PlugROCKSTAR
06-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Can you tell us what bait you were using for these cabezones? Thanks!

This beast was caught on frozen squid on a dropper loop setup with a 6/0 octopus circle hook and 3 oz torpedo sinker. 20 lb test on a 7 foot spinning rod/reel.

Fish_R_Us
06-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Yeap, Taking a slip from the slimy rocks sorta goes along with the terrority. Similar to that saying about motorcycle riders - Those who havn't gone down, will go down some time! Hopefully no broken bones or sprained ankles to speak of. I've got so many scars on my shinns from all the minor slips and slides. I once broke the tip off my favorite pole. That was a real bummer. The grass around here is pretty high and the ticks are out in full force.

Other than that, It's time to catch some rockfish!

CJC
06-16-2006, 11:19 AM
As CCA said earlier it was slow for me. I only had one bite all day and it ended up shaking my hook. But it was sure a nice day out.

And CCA, I hope you did not break anything. I slipped on a rock the last time we went out and I can relate to that. I had a big bruise in my behind and a 1" diameter scrape off my elbow. Not fun!! :P :P

Here are the pictures. I think the first 2 were from your friend:

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/2518/p10102850bd.jpg
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7722/p10102867mu.jpg
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2449/p10102878or.jpg

CenCoast_Angler
06-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks compadrejt!
That pic of me and my grass RF is awesome. Beautiful scenery. And the rock greenling pics came out good too.
You can kinda see the bloody knuckles on my right hand, from the fall.

PK

bobby
06-16-2006, 03:46 PM
what spot is that there in the last pic, looks familar, nice pic!

MB_Kevin
06-17-2006, 10:19 PM
I went out here today in Pacifica. Not as nice as where you are all fishing. I did pull out one eel and one small rockfish that came off the hook right when it came out of the water. It was a nice day.
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/195/0617061249a4dn.jpg

Uncle_Sam
06-18-2006, 09:48 AM
July 1 is approaching. Has anyone tried skiff fishing in the Bodega Bay area for rockfish? I was thinking about trying the Estero Americano area about a mile from Bodega Harbor. The charts have the word "foul" in small letters near this area. I guess that means it's a good place to foul your propeller. I was thinking about putting the outboard in an up position and rowing in.

bobby
06-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Went out sunday on the cliffs of the west side in santa cruz, I got a big fat goose egg. NOTHING.

My rig wont cast very far.... sux

CenCoast_Angler
06-19-2006, 02:07 PM
I had a rough weekend of fishing...again. Fished off the rocks Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Saturday the wind was flying down in Big Sur so we moved back up the coast to a slightly-more protected spot. The waves were still big but the wind was down and it turned into no-shirt weather. Unfortunately, it was also no-fish weather. We got a couple small blues. Sunday I tried to fish a spot only accessable during real low tide. It looks like an awesome spot but the waves were like 15 feet!!! GNARLY! Fished there from 10:30-12 then moved spots and tried a new rock. Bailed! For the second time in a week. The new rock looks really good but the waves were still too big to fish. Went home and watched baseball [ GO A's! ]

It looks like the seasons are a changin. I probably won't be going rockfishing 3 times a week anymore. Maybe limit myself to 1 RF trip per week. Its time to start chucking the beaches for stripers. Saw a pic of a fatty striper that a friend caught this wknd from Del Monte. On a fly nonetheless! Plus, July 1st is coming up fast---I need to practice my kayak fishing skills.

OK, thats all for now. Good luck everyone!

PK

CJC
06-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Not as nice as where you are all fishing.

Seems pretty nice to me! You guys have the Pole poking down to a science. ;) Nice Eel.

CCA and Bobby,

I guess it's not just me then! ;D Not making fun of you guys. But I was kind of thinking I was doing something wrong. I hope this fishing starts getting better.

bobby
06-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Hey,

PK, where u located out of?

yeah I fished all day long, nothing but a few small bites!! Beautiful out though, it was a bit windy on the cliffs though.

Going to throw in a line tonight and have a beer and see if anything takes the bait!!

piemel
06-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Total fishing noob here....

This whole thread makes me want to go out there and try rock fishing from the shore. I am located in Marin County... Can anyone give me clues if there any good spots for RF from the shore?

There are also some piers lcoated here (Sausalito, China Camp etc) but I guess pickings would be slim there due to overfishing? Not sure if there are any rocky areas anyways near those piers

Time to practice that dropper loop knot :)

wading2fish
06-24-2006, 07:06 AM
Total fishing noob here....

This whole thread makes me want to go out there and try rock fishing from the shore. I am located in Marin County... Can anyone give me clues if there any good spots for RF from the shore?

There are also some piers lcoated here (Sausalito, China Camp etc) but I guess pickings would be slim there due to overfishing? Not sure if there are any rocky areas anyways near those piers

Time to practice that dropper loop knot :)

are you kidding me? Marin Co. has some of the best rockfishing I have found up here in the Bay Area. check your pm

piemel
06-24-2006, 12:08 PM
are you kidding me? Marin Co. has some of the best rockfishing I have found up here in the Bay Area. check your pm

Thanks, much appreciated.

Never really fished before let alone from the shoreline/rocks so it'll be an interesting learning curve this summer.

I am surprised that rock fish get so close to the shore... I always figured only small baitfish would make it that close.

Is there any good info to be found on the web how to catch these suckers from the rocks/beach?

I kinda figured out what the setup is (either a dropper loop with hook or alternatively tie a hook at the end of the main line and use a lightweight leader for the sinker to be able to break it when snagged)

Thanks for all the great info here on this board... makes me a little less nervous ;)

Rusty_Hooks
06-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Well, that was some welcome ......... :-/

Welcome to the boards piemel.....lots of good info here and lots of good leads for someone just getting started.

This is a pretty good thread going here and some good info about the central coast. Keep em coming....

don't let W2F give you a hard time ;)

Fish-on
06-24-2006, 02:44 PM
I was wondering if any of you usee those spreaders for 2 hooks. Not the sort that you troll with they are the ones that you attach snelled hooks and lead attached to the bottom. I was going to try them up around Mendocino next weekend for either perch of some sort or rocks if I can find some water deep enough. BTW what sort of areas shoudl I be loking for sandy bottoms or rocky - rocky probably but how do you keep from snagging every cast?

wading2fish
06-24-2006, 03:53 PM
piemel, I got your pm, no problem you're welcome. always glad to share some info. not sure what rusty hooks is talking about tho? :-?

Rusty_Hooks
06-24-2006, 06:28 PM
My mistake :-X

salmonbyte
07-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Ok, guys where are you fishing? A couple of fish tacos sounds nice...JT

fishingfool
07-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Anyone ever try baby octopus as bait?

Rusty_Hooks
07-29-2006, 08:34 PM
The best bait you can get!! ;)

bob80
02-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Hi All,

Is there shore rockfishing this time of the year close by. Have never fished for rockfish from the shore. Would appreciate any pointers. Was reading that fort Ross is good for rockfish but have no clue if its good this time of the year from the shore.

Thanks,
Bob80

tarbuckle
02-14-2007, 07:02 AM
Ocean can be a bit rough this time of year. If you can find a day with a minus tide and calm seas, you'll do fine

Fish_R_Us
02-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Conditions are pretty rough this time of year, however if you can find some protected bays and coves, they would be the places to try. Somewhere that has some rocky areas that take the energy out of the 5-10 ft combined seas/swells. There are alot of areas between HMB and Santa Cruz that satisfy that criteria (as well as most of the Calif coast). Just pay attention to the waves at all times or you may get wet or worst. Summer and fall are better times to learn about the surf, or if you are planning to take kids down to the ocean.

Now is prime spawning time to the Chinas, Black & Yellow, Gopher , etc. RF's so I usually throwback those species ( from Dec-March) because if it's a female, chances are that she is carrying eggs. Alot of RF's are real close to shore because there's light fishing pressure due to the winter weather. You can see alot of egg clusters attached to rocks and kelp in the intertidal zones.

Just be sure to read and understand all the state & federal groundfish regulations and closures (or bring a lawyer friend along to decypher the regulations) or you may find that the DF&G wardens might want to have an up close and personal chat with you, check your bucket, and leave a bill (invitation to meet the local judge at the county seat) at the end.

Other than that, catch some fish, enjoy the sunny weather, and have a nice time out there.

tarbuckle
02-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Heres a good link for the regs.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mapregs1.html

bob80
02-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Conditions are pretty rough this time of year, however if you can find some protected bays and coves, they would be the places to try. Somewhere that has some rocky areas that take the energy out of the 5-10 ft combined seas/swells. There are alot of areas between HMB and Santa Cruz that satisfy that criteria (as well as most of the Calif coast). Just pay attention to the waves at all times or you may get wet or worst. Summer and fall are better times to learn about the surf, or if you are planning to take kids down to the ocean.

Thanks Fish_R_Us! Appreciate the detailed response. I was not aware that the regulations were more complicated for shore rockfishing. I will look up the 2007 regs. I did rockfish out of Sant Cruz last fall from my 16' Bayliner and the only thing I kept in mind was the lingcod size limit and the canary RF.

On locations, I have read about Fort Ross and stillwater cove as possible places where I could get the kind of sheltered water that you described above.
It would be great if there was stillwater cove like place nearby near HMB or Santa cruz like you mentioned. I am not familar with the coastline here. Could you point me to one or two locations in this area? Even GPS co-ordinates would be great.

While fishing from the boat I was using a 4-8 ounce diamond jig with a teaser above it with a plastic or squid. Did not have snags too often as you have more control over the terminal tackle. While shorefishing I would possible be dragging the lure over the rocks on the bottom. So would I be better off using a shrimp fly jig with a 3-4 ounce weight at the bottom?

Thanks again,
bob80

bob80
02-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Ocean can be a bit rough this time of year. *If you can find a day with a minus tide and calm seas, you'll do fine

Thanks tarbuckle! Just downloaded the regs.
bob80

tarbuckle
02-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Bob,
If you have to cast to a spot you'll get hung up A LOT. Find a spot ( easier said than done) that you don't need to cast out. Squid works great. A 1 ounce weight works for me. As far as lures go, I've had much better luck with plastics ( storm lures) by jigging them rather than casting and retrieving. Nothing beats watching a huge cab or ling come out of nowhere to smack the lure.
It goes with out saying, when fishing a reef you need to bring your'e common sense with you.

Rusty_Hooks
02-15-2007, 06:46 PM
It goes with out saying, when fishing a reef you need to bring your'e common sense with you.

And eyes in the back of your head ;)

tarbuckle
02-15-2007, 09:42 PM
[/quote]

And eyes in the back of your head ;)
[/quote]

And an ear towards the ocean to hear that large wave coming your way. ;D
Yep, Been beat up pretty bad out on those rocks. Including equipment.
Been going to one particular spot now for several years. In that time I've broken a finger, fell in a few times, broke my camera ( camera, cell phone , etc. stay in the truck now) , broke a fillet knife, had a pole washed in by a wave along with my tackle box, been hit by waves several times, tore up a brand new pair of cargo pants, lost half my pole on the hike out, plenty of punctures from rock fish ( the kelp bass mostly ) etc.
Did I forget to mention the 40 minute walk in sand to get out their? And the walk back facing the NW wind is always fun. Yet in spite of this, If the tide is right on my day off I'm there.

bob80
02-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Sounds like you have had your fun doing this!
Thanks for the soft warnings there...will make sure I keep these things in mind. Really makes sense on jigging vs. casting.
Will wait till one of you guys give me pointer to a good spot :).
-bob80

Fish_R_Us
02-16-2007, 04:26 PM
bob80,

Most of the rockfishing fishing spots are located south of HMB. They start at Martin's beach (private access fee required) but the public spots start at Pescadero SB. Bean Hollow SB has a couple good spots. There's some deep channels that are just north of the BHSB parking lot. Best access is right off of SR-1. There's a couple of turnouts just north of the beach. There is about 4-5 deep holes that hold fish. Follow the channels where they drain into and fish the holes. You should be able to cast and spend 15 minutes at each hole and cover that area in an hour. Another place is at the south side of the main point at the south side of the beach. If you have a crabnet try throwing it out into the sandy beach via the rocks on both sides of the beach. There's some good holes south of the beach, just hike across the sand beach, hike up and over the rock hill and the other side has enough places for another 1-2 hours. The normal rig is a 20-30 lb leader and 2 hooks and 2 3-5 oz weight at the bottom. Bait is the preferred method, mussles, crabs, squid or cut bait works good. If you don't get any hits/fish, that means that somebody beat you to the spot. Time to go (or wait it out for the next high tide). Pebble Beach is so-so, but there's alot of traffic - the school field trips have the buses stop there so there's alot of activity during the weekdays.

There's alot of turnouts south of Pescadero SB. Look for the areas that have small turnouts, enough for a car or two. You might have to get out and hike over a rise to see the places.

Pidgeon Pt. has alot of good places. Fishing the main rock is good, however it is accessible during minus tides and there's usually a guy or 2 to deal with. The good thing is that it's a big rock and there's alot of fishable waters on the way to the rock. Be careful to watch the tide when at the Rock- you need to start leaving when the tide is 1/2 way to HI tide. Any later and you may be swimming back to your car. This area is so close to Ano Nuevo and because of the Elephant Seals- it's Great White Territory. Take the south access road to the lighthouse. The holes start about 2/3 way down from the highway, and both sides of the lighthouse are cliffs where you can get at some deep water. Park at the parking lot south of the Rock, it's the closest access to the Main Rock.

Past Gazos Creek SB, thru Ano Nuevo are good places but you need to hike down from the highway. This area is where you can find alot of places via mtn. bike. There's alot of ticks in the grassy trails that lead down to the ocean.

South of Davenport offers alot of steep cliffs that look fishable, if you dare to climb down. Don't do this when there's big S-SW swells unless you have a survival suit (joke here - just don't do it in rough weather).

Crosssing over the countyline into Santa Cruz Co. The terrain changes from rocky bluffs to sand/beaches so there isnt much deep holes until you get close the big point just north of Santa Cruz. There are probably some deep places but I don't venture past Ano Nuevo SR.

I'm sorry, I don't have any GPS cords for you. Usually we don't drift over the holes using the boat type hardware (Hex & Diamond bars w/ Cod rig flies) the places are too snaggy. We just hit the holes with bait, if no bites, go on the next hole, don't spend too much time unless you find fish.

Good Luck and let us know how you did.

bob80
02-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks Fish_R_Us!

Tat is very helpful. This does me enough to make a few trips. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,
bob80

Toxic_Waste
02-18-2007, 07:02 PM
What worries me about California shore fishing (but especially for rockfish) is that it might all come to an end what with the plan to create a continuous line of marine sanctuaries from one end to the other. I know that there will be a lot more restrictions according to area, but I'd read someplace that it could also possibly ban fishing up to 3 miles offshore.

Guess I oughta feel shame for pulling 5 little perch out of the breakers the other day, and whip myself bloody. NOT! ;)

40oz_to_freedom
05-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Does anyone know what happen to CenCoast_Angler ? I live in the same area as him and wanted to start rock fishing from the shore. I thought maybe he could show me some pointers and help me out. I see he has not been on the forums in a long time.

titelinez
05-28-2008, 12:33 PM
The mere mortal CenCoast_Angler is no more. He is now Sin Coast, god pirate of shore fishing (and other stuff too). ;D

-TL

Fish_R_Us
05-28-2008, 02:42 PM
The good ole MLPA (and all their cronies) want to preserve the nearshore for everybody to go down to the seashore and say "Gee, how nice it is" and have a picnic, look around and then go home. That is what they call a good time.

Funny how they punish the ones that impact the local fisheries the least.

Anyways, went out on monday. I did my deed last saturday, so monday was open.

Headed for a couple places between Pidgeon Point and Pescadero since the whole area from Gazos Creek to Ano Nuevo is now closed. The surf was real mild, no swells till afternoon. Ended up fishing the morning and hauled in 16" 3.5 lb. Cabezone and a 24" MFE, let the undersized Cabs and some greenlings go. I was back home by almost noontime. That's about it for this weekend.

realdeal
05-28-2008, 05:50 PM
what were you using?

Fish_R_Us
05-30-2008, 08:24 AM
I was using the typical 2- dropper loop w/ 3 oz sinker and a large chunk of squid on the top and rubber swimbait on the bottom loop.

SurfRider8
05-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Anyone want to fish tomorrow in santa cruz? PM me and lets meet up. I would be happy to drive over 17 we can meet in los gatos. talk to you soon.

mandre800
06-01-2008, 08:35 AM
I live in Marina, CA and i want to get into surf and rock fishing a bit more. Can someone explain the setups a lil more to me and also PM me some good local spots

Sin_Coast
08-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Anyways, went out on monday. I did my deed last saturday, so monday was open.

Which deed was that? ;D

And why is this the only thread in the Pier Shore Board--it's a pretty old thread? What happened to all the other threads? Maybe I missed something.
PK

SteelHunter
08-14-2009, 11:41 AM
wow...this was a very informative thread.* I never saw it when it ran its course over a year ago.

glad I came across it this time.

SinCoast....thanks for sharing all this great information.* I'm actually going on a camping/fishing trip next weekend to the Sonoma Coast, so all this info should really be helpful.

It will be my first time trying to fish along a rocky coastline.* It should be fun no matter what happens.*
:D

macnone
08-27-2009, 03:50 AM
Great source of info!
I was just looking for some info on rock/butt surf and if there are any chances ... No I have to find a place that can offer some sand for my kid and some rocks for me :)

Got the dropper loop up to 2 inches ... now need to make some bigger once and see what is 6/0 octopus circle hook looks like :)

"Keep trying - you might get lucky!"

isdaann
08-27-2009, 04:06 AM
macnone,
if you want rock for you and sand for your son, try Doran Beach. There might be some stray hali around.

macnone
09-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Looks good ... but it's a bit far (2.5 hrs driving) :-/

I was looking towards Santa Cruz area. ::)

Sin_Coast
09-04-2009, 02:36 AM
Lots of good structure north of SCruz. Including a few that fit the bill of "sandy beach for mom+kid and kelpy-rocks for me." IMO that's the best type of terrain...where a combination of sand, rocks, and kelp converge.
Oh, and I've been using smaller hooks lately, like 3/0 to 4/0 octopus. Also been playing around w/swimbaits more successfully too.
Good luck!

unicycle1234
09-08-2009, 12:42 PM
totally new here:-) took my son fishing Labor day, and he caught his first fish (and some more) at the dock next to the half moon bay marina. Now I'm thinking about somewhere a bit more natural, so are the "good structure" for kids fishing north of santa cruz the stretch between the natural bridge state park and the santa cruz pier? or north of natural bridge?

Furbait
09-08-2009, 01:53 PM
totally new here:-) took my son fishing Labor day, and he caught his first fish (and some more) at the dock next to the half moon bay marina. Now I'm thinking about somewhere a bit more natural, so are the "good structure" for kids fishing north of santa cruz the stretch between the natural bridge state park and the santa cruz pier? or north of natural bridge?

I may be mistaken, but I think the coast from Natural Bridges west through Wilder Ranch is closed to fishing. I think it opens up again around 3 Mile Beach. I think...

If in doubt, I suggest checking it out on the DFG website first...* :-/* FB

Surf_Samurai
09-09-2009, 04:47 AM
We went rock fishing in Carmel/Big Sur rocky shores over Labor day weekend. We ended up hooking up really good quality rock cods, a couple of fat cabbies and a huge ling cod. We also let go of smaller rockies safely back into water.

We just drove down south on PCH 1 searching for a place where kelp bed meets the rocky shores. First of all, it is absolutely beautiful drive period. And I tell you there is a million awesome rocks to stand and yell, "Fish On!" if you are willing to hike down to the shores.

My tackle set up for rock fishing is a pretty heavy. I use 11 ft G-Loomis Surf Rod (1324S) with 200 lbs power swivels to 80 lbs power pro braid main line to 100 lbs Cajun anti-abrasion/invisible leader to 5 oz torpedo leads. I know a lot of people are complaining about losing a plethora of tackles & rigs when it comes to the rock fishing. I go way over board to over come these snagging problems.

When you gear up with my set up, 80 lbs braid line cuts through the kelps like a sharp knife. If you get snag onto the rocks, 100 lbs anti-abrasion leader simply bends or straighten the hooks, yet you still get your whole rigs back (I just bend back my hook to the original angle with pliers or simply change my hook - very cheap).

By the way, I exclusively use frozen anchovies onto 5/0 Octopus hook then wrap it with a magic thread to secure the bait. I prefer anchovies better than squids or octopus because it's silver scale flashes to attract the fish more like lures and it's distinctive fish smell helps, of course. Also, I can cast it far more than chunky squids. I can fling it about 120 yards or more easy into the kelp bed. But I also know that many fellow fishermen have a great success with squids like rock fishing God, aka, Sin Coast!

Anyways, the following pictures are some rockies, cabbies and a linger we caught over the weekend. We made some fish tacos, burritos and ceviche. Also, marinating some filets for BBQ.

Forget about fishing like a sardine packs on the party boat then get a sea sick. Pack a nice lunch, 6 packs and some snacks on a beautiful day then hit the rocky shores with your fishing buddies. Enjoy the beautiful pacific coast and catch some monster lingers, cabbies and rockies!

Carpe Diem and Ichthy,
Surf Samurai

http://www.flickr.com/photos/surf_samurai/sets/72157622196615841/show/

;D

trishalynn56
09-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Great fish! Can you tell me if your sinker is on the bottom of your line? Thanks.

Surf_Samurai
09-10-2009, 02:02 AM
Great fish! Can you tell me if your sinker is on the bottom of your line? Thanks.

Yes, the sinker is on the bottom. Hope it helps! It's like the following (except I'm only using 1 hook to minimize the snagging problems):

http://www.hammondfishing.com/reports/images/dropper-loop-1-5-0-hooks1.jpg

<mainline>-----<swivel, leader>------------<single hook dropper loop>-----<torpedo sinker>

SteelHunter
09-11-2009, 03:47 AM
those are some great fish, Surf Samurai.

my last shore rockfishing adventure I came up with a big fat goose egg.

thanks for the report!

jeep1886
10-16-2009, 07:16 PM
what ou guys are fishing low tide some one told me to only fish 2hr before and 2hr after high tide is low tide a better time i am usally on the south jetty of humboldt bay

dpshim
11-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Good afternoon everyone,

I've enjoyed reading all the posts especially on this subject!! I live here in Monterey Bay and enjoy all types of fishing, mainly saltwater.

I've done some shore rockfishing with mediocre luck, but it's my fishing buddy who is the lucky one lol. He and I have gone a couple times go near Big Sur or the coast guard pier, but we'd like to try some other areas. I was hoping that some of you would be kind enough to point to other areas. Appreciate your time!!

MontanaN8V
11-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Shrimp flies on a slip bobber, small sinker on the bottom. Not many snaggs, and mucho on da bendo! ;D

jeep1886
11-22-2009, 06:37 PM
what do you just let it sit there for a while with that bobber and shrimp fries and also what kind of bait do you use if any

MontanaN8V
11-23-2009, 01:42 AM
I put a strip of squid on each shrimp fly, there will be two of them. The sinker about a foot or so below the bottom shrimp fly, but not much weight. You dont want to pin it to the bottom, that defeats the purpose, just use a large enough sinker that your bobber will still float. The motion of the water will move it around, and wammo! Heavy kelp is tough, but if you know you are over rocks or near structure, or next to kelp beds, you will do fine.