PDA

View Full Version : Re: Fishfinders

Off_The_Hook
06-23-2005, 07:18 AM
I have a Lowrance LCX-19c, which is a 7" color model. I know it is common to see the downrigger balls on the screen, but the ball on the transducer side completely washes out a 10 to 15 foot section of the screen with a thick red line. If I lower the sensitivity to get rid of it, it gets rid of everything. This problem is only at kokanee speeds. If I speed up slightly, the ball goes out of the cone, and I just see the faint black line. It would sure be nice to see if there is fish where I am trolling...
Any suggestions?

Thanks

djh
06-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Your transducer is angled slightly too far toward the rear. Simply loosen the locking screw and rotate the ducer one "click" forward at a time, testing the performance each time. You may lose a bit of high speed performance. With a transom mount ducer, there is almost always a tradeoff between high and low speed optimum performance. I adjust mine to perform optimally at trolling speeds.

Master_Baiter_Tom
06-30-2005, 02:42 PM
I have a portable humminbird POS 200dx that i have never been able to figure out. Every time i try to use this thing i can only get dots all over the screen. I have tried mounting the transducer everywhere with no luck. Ordered a new one and had a similar expierence. What am I not doing right? I am running an electric motor in a 12 foot POS aluminum boat from the 70's. I can't mount the transducer on my motor so therefore i suction cup it under the boat. Is there a better fish finder thats easier to set up and easier to read or have I've been dealing with a f'd up finder and never knew it? Any help would be greately appreciated. Any question just ask! :o

Off_The_Hook
06-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Tom, sounds like it might be time for another fishfinder. Sorry, I'm not familiar with that model. Here is a great web site for fish finders if you give up on the one you got. http://www.jollyannsales.com/

You may also want to post this question as a new topic in this forum so it gets seen. These people are very helpful.

Irish
09-17-2005, 04:49 AM
I have used the Humminbird matrix units in the past and have been less than pleased. I am now using the Lowrance LCX-26c HD and of the units I have used in the past this by far the best I have seen. Its pricy, around $1900.00, but worth every penny. The pre-loaded map and charting software is the best on the market. You might check it out at www.lowrance.com.

Empire
09-17-2005, 05:13 AM
I have an X15 Lowrance, and I am pleased with it. The X15 has been replaced with the X17, which has even better resolution.

I wish I had a 26C like Irish, nice unit! :'(

Off_The_Hook
09-17-2005, 09:45 AM
I have the Lowrance LCX-19C, and I have no complaints. I am very happy with both the fish finder and the GPS. The color screen is very nice, and easy to see in the sunlight. My only complaint is my unit sells for $600 less this year, since there is a newer model out. If you are trying to save a few bucks, this would be a good time to pick one up.

FishMischief
09-17-2005, 02:19 PM
I have used Eagle, Humminbird and now just bought a low end Lowrance. *I can't afford $1900 or even $600 or even $300. *I bought a sub $200 unit and am extreemly pleased. *The resolution is good, the features rock and I can see everything I need to.

The Eagle units were good for the basics and definatly got me started. *The Lowrance is very easy to use. *I use the stock ducer.

I looked at the BottomLine Tounament 320. IT was very temping because of the low price and had great features. I just wanted a quality unit and I knew Lowrance would be that. Fishermans wharehouse is having a seminar next month on Cannon Rigger and BottomLine Finders. Might be worth checking out.

TS5655
09-17-2005, 04:37 PM
I use the Lowrance LCX 15 too and love it. I tried a Bottomline 480 and took it back for a full refund (thank you Alan) after three uses as it failed every time. A person from another board had the exact same problem. Bottomline was completely non-responsive to any inquiries about my problems.

I believe somebody has an LCX 15 for sale on the classifieds at a good price. It is not the current model anymore but still a very good unit. Make sure to keep the software upgraded.

TS

Trout_Chaser
09-17-2005, 08:01 PM
I am using a Lowrance x-125 and am quite happy with it. The resolution is decent and it seems to pick up quite a bit. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles that some have but it does do what it's supposed to do and i didn't have to sell my gold fillings! (I think it was about $300) If your fishing really deep (ocean depths) maybe the 135 would be worth the extra...more power etc.

MrFisher
09-19-2005, 03:25 AM
I had a Lowrance back then. Looks like its still one of the best. Don't think the wife let me do the $1900.00 job for lake fishing. LOL Sure sounds good thow.
Thanks for everyones input.
Robin

SturgeonVirgin
09-19-2005, 06:12 AM
whats a cheep fish finder that works and wont give me much troubles? i will be using it mainley for trout. and mabey something on the bottom. any suggestions?

Check out the Eagle Fishmark 320 or 480, both under 2 bills, great bang for the buck. Had one and loved it.

Fishmeister
09-19-2005, 09:25 AM
I have a Lowrance LMS 320 and really don't like it. Can't seem to get the sensitivity adjusted. It either shows huge schools of fish or nothing. The 200 MHZ transducer is worse than the 50 at all depths. Don't trust what I see. It keeps losing bottom and can take an hour to find it again. The GPS keeps losing signal and won't stay on the location you are at when you turn it off. Am I doing something wrong or are these bad units?

I had a Ratheon, now Raymarine, inexpensive unit for a couple of years and loved it. Wanted GPS so moved to the Lowrance.

Trout_Terminator
09-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Check out the Eagle Fishmark 320 or 480, both under 2 bills, great bang for the buck. Had one and loved it.

where did you get yours at? becouse these ones at cabelas read at like 210+ :o. lol, thanks for the suggestion though. but what do the slashes on it mean? (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0017744015697a&type=product&cmCat=sear ch&returnString=_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2F CabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=%2Fc abelas%2Fen%2Ftemplates%2Fgiftcertificate%2Fgiftce rtificate.jsp%3Fid%3D0005586990011a%26podId%3D0005 586%26catalogCode%3DIB%26navAction%3Djump%26indexI d%3D&_D%3A%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNu mberFinder.giftCertificateURL=+&QueryText=Eagle+fi shfinder&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch% 2Fsearch-box.jsp.form9&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchal l&Nty=1&Ntt=Eagle+fishfinder&noImage=0&returnPage= search-results1.jsp) do they mean fish?

fishwithgary
02-10-2006, 12:48 PM
The best initial education is to look at the catalogs such as Bass Pro shops and Cabelas. And www.lowrance.com site is really good. They show you all of their products, but also have tutorials on how to use their fishfinders. And if you decide on a unit, you can download a simulation for that very product to try on your computer. Also you can download a copy of the owner's manual for that specific product. Essentially a fishfinder is sonar that beeps out a sound wave that bounces off objects and returns them. That process is handled by a transducer which is attched to your boat - usually off the transom. The display unit is connected to the transducer by a special cable that comes with the unit - usually a 25' cable. Essentially fish show up because of the fish's air bladder, because the sonar does not pass through air.
Everyone will tell you to buy the most you can afford, and to try and max on pixels - the intensity of the display. And most of us really love the color. True more expensive, but much easier to read. Nowadays the FF are all very good with more bells and whistles than you could ever use. The trend (which I do not like) is to combine them with a GPS - I prefer a separate FF and a separate GPS. I would if I were you simply go with the basics. After you get comfortable with that, then you may want to "move up." My first FF was a small humminbird. I attached the transducer to a 1x3 stick, then attached the stick to the transom with a C-clamp. For power I used a little 12v garden tractor battery. I kept the battery in a plastic tool box and mounted the screen on top of the tool box. It worked. :D
Gary

FishMischief
02-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Allot is really going to depend on how big your budget is. *Lowrance units will cost about $200 minimum unless you find a discontiued unit on sale. *Eagle (owned by lowrance) makes some good entry level fishsinder between $100 abd $200. *If you have the bucks I would really recommend lowrance.

Also Lowrance and Eagle have demos that you can load on your computer to see actual features of the unit. *I used these in my last purchase to make sure the fetaures I wanted were there and that I liked the menuing system.

As a new user of fishfinders you will need to start learning the advanced options and probably dont know what your looking for. *For me the important features besides power and depth were being able to zoom and use manual depth in split screen mode. *Where one side is auto and one side is zoomed in with manual depth.

I recently recomended the Fisheasy 240 to a friend on a budget. You can find the unit online for about $105 and it has all the same specs as my Lowrance x51 which sells for $200.

jetcraft18
02-12-2006, 09:56 AM
ive got a lowrance x51 with mounting bracket and a dust cover,but you will have to get the tranducer.I had it mounted in the bow and used the tranducer on my minn kota.How about 60.00 bucks?

shotgun
02-17-2006, 12:25 PM
most brands are good and reliable. I do suggest making sure it has a water temperature feature. Very valuable.