PDA

View Full Version : Entry Level Handheld GPS Questions

innovate
12-07-2005, 01:35 PM
I'm looking in getting a Handheld GPS in the near future and was wondering if anyone could suggest a basic unit that would work for charting waypoints on lakes and the delta.

I dont need anything that's too fancy - just something simple.

later, and thanks in advance,
Roland

sokoo
12-07-2005, 02:37 PM
My understanding is, for basic applications (marking waypoints, directing to waypoints, etc) the cheapest GPS models should do the job. I bought a Magellan 315 a couple years ago from ebay for about $100, more than what I need.

sunracer1957
12-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Check out Garmin they make a full line of hand held units.

http://www.marinegeneral.com/acatalog/Handheld_GPS___GPS_Radios.html

Maz
12-08-2005, 07:55 AM
I have the blue Garmin E-Trex, it does the job just fine for me. Took it to Japan last year and it had me going over 200MPH on the bullet train.
Maz

ll_kaidoy_ll
12-08-2005, 08:06 AM
I bought my dad the Garmin GPSMAP 76 for Christmas last year. It has the tides and celestial tables for any location. You can also buy different software for detailed maps of "fishing hotspots" and smaller rivers, lakes, and streams.

basil
12-08-2005, 12:20 PM
The cheapest GPS may do the trick for you but you might want to think about stepping up to one that is WAAS enabled. This will put you in the area of 150 to 200 dollars depending on how good a shopper you are.

WAAS GPS's will get you closer to your spot.

I prefer Magellan because my 200 dollar one came with a CD topo map and has been relatively easy to use on the ocmputer, for storing waypoints, making measurements and loading maps and details that I want for particular areas.

The computer is definitely better for loading in GPS points if you have a bunch GPS points that someone gave you. You can also save your GPS stuff in different files. Then you can download the one you need that day. You can also rename the points and do a lot of stuff that makes life easier.

Durb
12-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Check your PM

innovate
12-12-2005, 02:28 AM
Thank you all for the replies. I ended up getting a WAAS-enabled device: Garmin Etrex Legend...for Christmas, from my fiancee!!! :D I cant wait until the 'Eve. Woohoo!