PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki outboards, how good?

firetrout
11-15-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm looking at buying a boat with 115 hp 4 stroke 2002 model and heard they are chain geared? as opposed to belt driven power head. Does anyone have pros and cons on this brand of outboards?
Thanks

Trout_Chaser
11-16-2005, 05:28 AM
I don't know about the gear/belt info, however, I do know that a couple of people I have talked to who own Suk motored boat are really happy with them. Reports that I have heard are that they run really quiet and comparable to Yamaha in performance. Someone else may be able to verify, but I think Yamaha actually makes the powerhead for those. Vance Staplin know a bit about those motors. You might want to give him a call or PM. I would just make sure that you have a reliable shop for parts and maint. service. If the price is right, I wouldn't be afraid to buy one.

drstressor
11-16-2005, 09:21 AM
Suzuki makes their own engines. These are the same as the ones sold by Bombardier under the Johnson brand. They are very good engines that typically cost less on the new and used markets than the other brands. Their technology and manufacturing quality is right up there with the others. The lower price has to do with the fact that Mercury and Yamaha control most of the new boat market in the US. Suzukis have been priced aggressively in order to try to gain market share.

viper2
11-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Does Suzuki make a kicker? I am looking at something in the 8-10 HP range, but the Yamahas seem a bit pricey.

drstressor
11-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Yes they do:

http://www.suzukimarine.com/

As I said, the ones sold as Johnsons are the same engines. Both are cheaper than Yamahas, Hondas, and Mercs. I'm only familiar with the larger Suzukis, but I would imagine the smaller engines are pretty good also.

smithstation
11-18-2005, 10:09 AM
I have a 6hp suzuki(2 stroke) on a 12 footer. It is about 15 years old and it sat for 4 years. Mixed a new tank of fuel, 2 pulls and it ran as good as the day I bought it. I think it is a very dependable motor. My 2 cents.

Reel_Lost
11-18-2005, 08:32 PM
I have a 140hp 4 strk. with jet drive on a 19' Willie Predator. I just love it. Only about 100 hrs but it runs great is much lighter then the comp. and the power head sits 5 inches ahead of vertical shaft which puts it weight foward which is great getting up on plane. The editor of Trailer Boat magazine told me it was a great engine and he is in the business.

Set_The_Hook
11-18-2005, 10:58 PM
I have a 97 model 15 hp 2 stroke on my 14' alum. I like this motor better than my last merc 9.9 99 model. I appears well manufactured and designed. I have heard nothing but good about them since I bought mine.

wishn2Bfishn
11-23-2005, 01:19 AM
I have a 92' DT8C 2-stroke kicker thats been reliable and easy to use. The engineering and construction is very sound. I am happy with the power/weight/noise/fuel efficiency.

The only down side is getting parts for basic maintenance. It is a pain in the @$$ to get parts in the Sac area. More than once local shops placed an order for me and could not get a ship status out of Suzuki's distributer. I have been successful in Vallejo and at Brown's Marine on the web and now just order extra.

firetrout
11-30-2005, 09:20 PM
Thanks guys for all the info.

Durb
11-30-2005, 10:37 PM
Fire tout. Did you get the boat?

notime
12-01-2005, 06:37 PM
With all the money I spent on my boat I could have had any motor I wanted and I special ordered a Suzuki 115. *IMO they are the best, and not as heavy and bulky as a Honda. * I also would never own a Merc. *Every boat mechanic I know says they are no good.

firetrout
12-08-2005, 08:12 PM
Durb. Yes I did get the boat, and it looks like new with about 15 hours on the motor. and 5 hrs. on the kicker 9.9hp
I'll be sure to post it on this site soon.

Thanks for all the responses.