PDA

View Full Version : Battery - disconnecting

SuperDave
12-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Is there a practical reason to disconect the battery while the boat is in storage?

metalmouth
12-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Hinrid, Two reasons come to mind. Some systems have ghost draw downs that can drain a battery from your radio or other source. The other reason is it may prevent some draw from across the terminals and cables that are not connected cannot corrode.
MM

drstressor
12-07-2005, 06:33 PM
He nailed it. Those are the two reasons.

916towerguy
12-07-2005, 08:35 PM
EFI motors will also drain on your batt. The easiest way to disconnect is set up a batt switch.

Klamdog
12-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Metal Mouth is right on! I disconnect if I know I'm not going to go out for a few weeks at a time. Maybe this is overkill, but I figure it won't hurt anything. Also, when the kids get in the boat to pretend their going fishing, I know they can't get to realistic!

Trout_Chaser
12-08-2005, 06:15 AM
I set my battery shut off so that it kills EVERYTHING in the boat except for 1. I have an auto bilge pump wired direct to one of the batteries so that is always functional. You never know what may happen when your not paying attention. I've seen pictures of boats with tarps/covers on them. the cover gets a hole or collapses, the boat is sitting there full of water for several weeks, and no one is any wiser. The pump is good insurance againt a flooded hull (or if you ever leave the boat in the water overnight)

fish4fun
12-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Hinrid, If you have electricity available where you store your boat, then there's no need to disconnect the battery. After reading your question, I wasn't sure whether or not this was the case. But if you do have electricity available, it's better to keep a charger connected to the battery(ies) and keep them fully charged. The charger needs to be the type that shuts off when batteries are fully charged and not the type that keeps a constant trickle charge going. I'd also recommend keeping power to the bilge pump if there's any chance of rain getting into the boat.. Larry