PDA

View Full Version : Kicker motor control

Trout_Chaser
12-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Has anyone had any experience with those electronic control boxes for your kicker motor. With the slack in the cable it's mighty hard to keep just the right speed on my T8. Was wondering if any of you have any input about those trolling control units or other suggestions to help.

SuperDave
12-05-2005, 08:15 PM
What system do you have?

jrj
12-05-2005, 08:26 PM
I have the TrollMaster Digital on my Yamaha T8 kicker. *It works great, provides a increase and decrese in speed with minute changes. *After using it I would not want a kicker without it. *It is very simple to install and use. *I purchased mine directly from TrollMaster. *They are very helpful. *Their web site is
:http://www.troll-masterpro.com/ *You can go to their site and look at the installation and instruction manuals.

Trout_Chaser
12-06-2005, 05:50 AM
Hindrid, I have a 04 T8 yamaha with the controls at the stern.
It takes quite a bit of playing back and forth to get the speed were you want it (especially when trying to stay under 2.5) and about the time you get it there, you make a turn and get to start all over again!

Wentfishin, thanks for the input. I've been looking at the same unit through Cabelas. I'll give the troll-master guys a call. It's always nice to deal with the direct route when possible. I know Vance had told me that he experiences the same "up and down" game with his trolling motor, so I'm assuming that this is fairly common.

Empire
12-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Thanks for posting that link Wentfishin. I did not know that they made those units for the different brands. Good info!

Mickey_Thomas
12-06-2005, 06:37 AM
Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but my T-8 has a seperate control and stays at the RPM that I set it, I did have a separate tach installed next to the big motor tach so I could watch the RPM's. I do change speeds quite a bit so maybe I'm missing something ???

tdekens
12-06-2005, 10:11 AM
TR1
www.nautamatic.com
Find someone on the board who has one close to you and check it out. If you troll or backtroll why would you want anything else? Yes they cost a couple of bucks but what doesnt for a boat?
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

metalmouth
12-06-2005, 11:01 AM
I second the TR1 Gold being great. If you troll in the wind, you will be amazed at how easy it becomes with the TR1. Maybe if you ask your local dealer, they will recommend someone you can contact for a test run. It will make trolling a relaxing time.
MM 8) ;D 8)

jrj
12-06-2005, 05:08 PM
The TrollMaster is a great system. I was at Rollins today and tried the RPM range on the engine. You have complete adjustability from idle to full rpm. What makes it great is how smooth and easy the adjustment is. I also have a Auto Pilot, but rather than spending $3,000 for TR1 unit I used my Minn Kota 75 PD AP unit. I made a bigger aluminum fin for the motor that bolts on. I put the PD in the water, without turning on the PD. I only use the AutoPilot feature and use use my Copilot to control it. Flawless autopilot for a lot less money. I learned this trick from a friend. Works great.

svtfish
12-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Im useing the Troll Master on my 8hp yamaha and it works very well.If you need one,I'll sell you mine.It has only been on the motor for about a month.The TR-1 gold is on sale for $2000 or 2299 with the wireless remote and FREE shipping till Dec. 31.
Richard ;D

Trout_Chaser
12-07-2005, 06:37 AM
richard, I'm sending you a PM

metalmouth
12-07-2005, 11:01 AM
I started out with the wired remote. I still find that I use it the most because of all the settings that are on the wired unit, that are not on the wireless. My reason for getting the wireless was that I fish alone quite alot. I felt that if I fell overboard in big water it would be nice to be able to call the Fish Whisperer back around to catch me.
MM 8) ;D 8)

fish4fun
12-08-2005, 01:11 AM
I've had a TrollMaster hooked up to my Yamaha T-8 for about 3 years. This setup had some trouble making small changes in speed when I was trolling for kokanee. I typically troll from 0.8 to 1.5 mph and want to be able to control the speed in 0.1mph increments. I had used the same TrollMaster on a Honda 5 hp kicker before and never had this problem.

I called TrollMaster about the problem with the T-8 and got some really good support. They agreed it was difficult to finely control the trolling speed on the T-8. This was because a very small change in the throttle position inside the T-8 resulted in a fairly large change in trolling speed. But TrollMaster was willing to answer all of my questions about the TrollMaster circuitry. As a result, I was able to modify the TollMaster circuit and can now easily vary the T-8 trolling speeds by 0.1 mph.

I would have to say that TrollMaster makes a good product and is more than willing to support their customers.. Larry

Trout_Chaser
12-08-2005, 06:10 AM
thanks for all the input guys. I think i'll be giving the troll-master a try. The TR1 sounds awesome, but a little out of my league for now. Maybe someday when the boats paid off! :D

svtfish: I'll take that unit, talk to ya soon.