PDA

View Full Version : Salt water in delta

wet_n_ready
12-04-2005, 05:12 PM
We want to start fishing in the delta. At what point below Antioch do we need to be concerned about salt water in our water intakes on our outboard. We have 2005 Yamaha's.

Why don't we have a Delta fishing forum?

Dennis
12-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Ask your question about a Delta fishing forum on the 'Ask the Sniffer' forum.

Or use this link.
Ask the Sniffer (http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?board=sniffermsg_main;action=post;title=St art+new+topic)

viper2
12-05-2005, 10:38 AM
It gets pretty salty by the time you get out to Suisun Bay and the Mothball fleet. I get some salt build up out by Broad Slough.

GN.
12-05-2005, 08:08 PM
I've had the same question. I wonder if there is a salinity chart somewhere. Soneone has to have measured it at some time. Maybe average salinity could be found for a given location.

fredrickj
12-06-2005, 06:43 AM
If one travels from the fresh water down into the salty areas, will going back through the fresh to return to your dock be enough to protect the boat and engine? This would of course depend on knowing how much salt resided where.
I would guess tides have a lot to do with this as well.

Sardine
12-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Back in the late 80's when I lived in Discovery Bay we encountered salinity as far up as the Antioch Bridge from time to time. I would imagine they are pumping more water now than they were then since they have at least one more dam now, Los Vaqueros, so it should even be going farther up than the bridge especially in drier years?

dirtydan
12-06-2005, 09:18 AM
For those interested - here's a link to an older publication by DWR - the Delta Atlas:

http://baydeltaoffice.water.ca.gov/DeltaAtlas/04-WaterQuality.pdf

This is the water quality section - it has two maps, essentially showing pre and post "project" salinity in the Delta. The info goes as far back as the early 1900s and up to around 1990, I believe.

-D

GN.
12-06-2005, 10:03 AM
dirtydan
Thanks for the info. I wonder what has happened it the last 15 or so years. It could help to explain some of the changes in the fish population in the delta.

penn_yan_bill
12-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Good point Fish-n-again. Maybe if the water quality was improved there wouldn't be talk of new regs.

Salinity: I can only speak to Mare Island Strait. Used to measure it as part of my job as a naval architect. Summer months it would be straight salt. Winter months (with rain) it would be straight fresh. Would vary in between. Last time I checked was 10 years ago before the yard closed.