PDA

View Full Version : Weathered fiberglass boat

Fat_Freddy
12-02-2005, 06:51 PM
I recently got a 12 ft Sears fiberglass boat that's about 30 years old. It's in pretty good shape, but it has been kept outside and has tiny fiberglass splinters sticking up that stick me if I run my hand over the hull.

Anybody know what I should do about this?
Sand it?
Coat it with something?
Paint it?
Ignore it?

somebody
12-02-2005, 07:09 PM
i would get it upside down in about 70-75 degree enviroment and use a paint roller to put a coat of resin all over it. then sand off the bad places,drips etc.

sashimi_express
12-02-2005, 07:14 PM
;D Hey Fat. First I would sand it with a paper just rough enough to knock off the fibers( use a dust mask goggles and gloves) fiberglass is nasty. Once you have knocked down the fibers change the grit of your paper to a much finer grade and sand it again. Keep doing this until all the scratch marks from the sandpaper are gone. You will probably need to wet sand it at this point. I know this is a whole lot of sanding but it will be nice when you are finished. After all of the scratches are gone use a good polishing compoud with a electrtic buffer to polish out the rest of the finish. Just my .02 worth

somebody
12-03-2005, 12:28 PM
one thing iknow there is a lot of knowledge in these fish sniffers there will be more ideas. myself when i sand fiberglass i itch so bad i usually have nightmares i am in poison oak fighting fires. if i was going to sand as is i would keep it wet with a soaaaker hose .

HSUSteelie
12-05-2005, 04:56 PM
I had a similar situation with my '48 Wizard. I did just what the rest of the guys have said - sand, sand and more sanding. It was a ton of work, but it was worth it. I also laid new cloth down along the keel and the front portion of the hull and then put a few coats of resin on the entire underside.

Fat_Freddy
12-05-2005, 07:20 PM
A ton of work is what I would like to avoid, but I have to do something as I keep getting glass splinters in my hand when I touch the hull.

That sure is true what Somebody said about the itching though. I spent a couple minutes this morning and sanded a little spot about 6 inches square as a test. It smoothed it down alright, but my hands are still itching and burning. I'll wear gloves next time I try it.

drstressor
12-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Make sure that you use a face mask and eye protection as well!

To cut down on the work involved, you could just do a rough sanding job with a machine sander and and paint the hull with Awlgrip (http://www.awlgrip.com/awlgrip_pages/default.htm).

It isn't cheap but its just like a brand new gel coat.

Fat_Freddy
12-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks for that AwlGrip link. Lot of useful info there, but if I used the product it would cost twice as much as I paid for the boat!

drstressor
12-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Awlgrip is the Cadillac of topside paints. It's really an aircraft paint that just doesn't wear off. I hadn't checked the prices recently!

There are other sources of polyurethane paint. Years ago I used Interlux topside polyurethane to do the bottom of a boat that had been stored in the water for years. It was going to be kept at a high and dry marina, so I didn't need anti-fouling bottom paint anymore. I paid to have the bottom paint sand blasted off, which left a rough finish. I just smoothed it out a bit with an orbital sander and brushed on 2 coats of polyurethane paint. It gave a smooth hard finish that was still in good shape when I got rid of the boat 7 years later.

http://www.stemtostern.com/catalog/DisplayInventory.asp?DepartmentID=74&Grouping=Poly urethanes#Grouping

HSUSteelie
12-06-2005, 08:56 PM
I second Doc's suggestion of interlux, that's what I used and it still looks great almost two years after I finished it. I think I got mine from West Marine. Good luck, the work is worth it!!