PDA

View Full Version : Forgot to tilt up the motor!

sokoo
10-31-2005, 12:51 PM
Made the most stupid mistake so far. Went out Saturday, (what a nice day!) came back flushed my motor, then backed onto my driveway..... Oops, something hit the driveway. Oh no it's the motor, I forgot to tilt up after flushing!

Now I have a bent guard plate (is it named that way? anyway it's the aluminum plate in front of the propella), slightly twisted. Bent angle is probably 20 degrees, in an gradual arc.

I assume I am not the most stupid boater in the world, so maybe someone else had the similar experience. Can I use clamps and two pieces of sturdy metal plate or something to correct it back? I guess with the bend the boat won't track straight.

SuperDave
10-31-2005, 01:35 PM
The fin in front of the prop that extends slightly below the prop just did what it is designed for. *It is called the skeg. *It deflects debris and scratches the surface of rocks hopefully before your prop does. *I have drug mine up a boat ramp or two. *It really isn't designed for tracking. *If you have a propane torch, try heating it up and putting the clamps on it or tweaking it with a large pair of vice grops or cresent wrentch.

Maz
10-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Search for the skeg guard thread on this board. I think thats what you will be needing.
Maz

somebody
10-31-2005, 03:35 PM
everybody makes mistakes. if you dont do anything you wont screw up or get a suntan

kstone44
11-01-2005, 03:04 AM
I'll top that one I normally keep my motor trimmed down on the motor totter when traveling but for some reason I don't recall I had my 150 merc trimmed all the way up , I had limited parking in my drive way and I had it dialed in when I lined up my rear tire to the split line of the conrete drive, way as Im am backing up and watching the line and tire I hear a crunch :o ??? :-[, that was the sound of the lower end now sticking through the garage door. I mangled the skeg. The skeg was cheep to fix. They have rebuild or fixer kits for them I think I got mine at Basss Pro. I tried straightening it out but it did affect my tracking . Unfortunatly the garage door was not as easy to replace or explain to my wife

Sardine
11-01-2005, 05:06 AM
On the last boat I bought someone had worn the skeg down on it. It's an outdrive, 260 Mercruiser with a 350 Chevy. Anyway, that boat wondered all over the place as it was. So I bought a replacement skeg from Iboats.com for about $20.oo & welded it on & that corrected the wondering problem & I regained some prop protection too. So, in my case it did have an effect on the steering. This drive must have been dragged a considerable way because it wore off about a foot of the lower unit. It sounds like yours is just bent so if you can straighten it you should be okay. Most of the time I mess around with straightening aluminum it cracks on me.

somebody
11-01-2005, 02:59 PM
i got to the gas station one time about 7 miles and a guy said what are you dragging--there was my battery charger bangded up but still worked for another 3 years

SuperDave
11-01-2005, 03:06 PM
i got to the gas station one time about 7 miles and a guy said what are you dragging--there was my battery charger bangded up but still worked for another 3 years

That's some tough rearend aligator clips! Now tell me you didn't pass or see another car the entire 7 miles before the gas station. >:(

sokoo
11-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the replies, I think I will try to bend it back, and in the worst case if the lower thin part breaks I can still put a skeguard on it. Having someone to straighten it costs at least the price of the skeguard anyway. Don't have any idea how much heat I need to apply on the bent area to straighten it back with a clamp or something, though. Any suggestions?

Talking about mistakes, I just corrected one. I had the dealer and my friend and my wife check the trailer lights and they all said it was good. Now, when I finally checked myself last week I found the turning signal was flashing at the opposite side. Either the trailer was wired reversed, or the instruction for installing the trailer wiring kit was wrong. I had been out with the wrong connection several times, people behind me must had a good time laughing at the stupid turning light. ;D :-[

Erreck
11-02-2005, 02:35 AM
I'll top that one I normally keep my motor trimmed down on the motor totter when traveling *but for some reason I don't recall I had my 150 merc trimmed all the way up , I had limited parking in my drive way and I had it dialed in when I lined up my rear tire to the split line of the conrete drive, way as Im am backing up and watching the line and tire I hear a crunch :o ??? :-[, that was the sound of the lower end now sticking through the garage door. I mangled the skeg. The skeg was cheep to fix. They have rebuild or fixer kits for them I think I got mine at Basss Pro. I tried straightening it out but it did affect my tracking . Unfortunatly the garage door was not as easy to replace or explain to my wife

LMAO! I did the exact same thing last year ;D. My reasoning, or lack of, was related to an slight excess of adult beverages, but the outcome was the same.

SuperDave
11-02-2005, 07:21 AM
LMAO! I did the exact same thing last year ;D. My reasoning, or lack of, was related to an slight excess of adult beverages, but the outcome was the same.

Don't be so hard on yourselves, fellas. If your woman was out there helping watch and direct, it never would have happened. So, it's not your fault!

Mickey_Thomas
11-02-2005, 07:40 AM
So, it's not your fault!
Even when I'm by myself "its not my fault" ;D ;D

FISHSTALKER
11-02-2005, 08:04 AM
The older you get the more prone you are to forget little incidentals like raising the motor / outdrive. That's why Mickey says it isn't his fault. ;D

My last boat, and this is some years ago now, I dragged the out drive up the launch ramp twice. It would have been a perfect time for Holly's "STUPID" rubber stamp on the forhead.
Both times my wife was with me........ I'm not saying that's my excuse but every time we recovered the boat after those expeirences she would yell out "IS IT UP", "IS IT UP". Of corse I knew what she was referring to but the on-lookers did have questioning looks on their faces.

Now I have two fairly new Aluminum boats and I'm proud to say there hasn't been any incedents where the "STUPID STAMP" would come into play. 8)

somebody
11-02-2005, 08:18 AM
at a welding store they have a chalk to put on aluminum that changes color before it collapses like alum. does. maybe ask someone in a prop repair shop

Sardine
11-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Somebody made a good point. I was just going to reply about that too. Aluminum is very tricky when it comes to appling heat. With aluminum horseshoes I would frequently get them to hot & the aluminum just crumbles away into sand like granules. I don't know if your propane torch will get it that hot or not but I'll bet farrier Frank knows about that. Be careful about that.

sokoo
11-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Update: tried heating and correcting the bend in the skeg, only corrected a small part of the bend. The ultimate solution: leave it as is, becasue I took it out in the bay and the whole thing performed just fine, not a bit difference.

somebody
11-05-2005, 07:49 PM
i came across that battery charger today, the gauge is still broke but i get a spark from the clips so am charging batteries now. that mistake was over fifteen tears ago.

Mr_Ed
11-07-2005, 11:05 PM
SOKOO; You go off easy....... Wait till you put the boat in ,take off, then notice you forgot the "PLUG" !!!

Ever watch someone trying to put a boat on the trailer when its sinking ?

I always ask: Plug, boatkeys, FFinder; Driggers & hitch&chain !!! (I,m also an Old Fart )

SuperDave
11-08-2005, 07:09 AM
SOKOO; You go off easy.......

I always ask: *Plug, boatkeys, FFinder; Driggers *& hitch&chain !!! * *(I,m also an Old Fart )

Mr_Ed, you just named MY worst... I always keep my boat keys on the boat. My wife insisted that i take them off so somebody didn't steel the boat. "Honey, they can't drive it down the street." On a trip to Eagle Lake, we are 2 1/2 hours from home and my wife says, "Do you have the boat keys?" I believe you could honestly see the smoke curling out of my ears and nosterils. 5 hours from the time I left, I'm back in my driveway.

Mickey_Thomas
11-08-2005, 07:47 AM
Hinrid, it burns me up when I have to turn around 100' from my driveway ??? ??? your story made me cringe :-X :-X

sokoo
11-08-2005, 01:16 PM
These are exactly the things I worry about all the time too. Luckily so far I haven't had an open drain hole or lost trailer yet. For the keys, I keep my spare key for the van I use to tow the boat and the boat key together, then never use my regular car key when going fishing. This way, if I don't have the boat key I can't start the van to tow the boat out. Another terrible thing I feel could happen any time is forgetting the wheel block (I park the boat on driveway) and drive the van away. That could send the boat and trailer into my neighbor's house! ;D

I am not too optimistic about avoiding future mistakes. I have only been out 4 times using my new "real boat" and have already made 1 good size mistake plus many smaller ones. I have been using a porta-bote for a few years without any big embarrassing mistakes, but that one have no drain holes or trailers or keys to deal with.

garypcv
11-30-2005, 11:54 AM
Nothing to do with motors but...................went out one evening with buddy into suisun bay. had humingbird turned on and found FANTASTIC spot to fish. fish where everywhere...i noticed something kinda odd on first cast but slipped to back of my mind...short time later i KNEW something was wrong when i noticed some cranes standing in water not to far from my line...to make a long story short, i didnt know the damn fish finder went into DEMO mode if ya pushed the power button twice... :o

ratss427
11-30-2005, 06:06 PM
* Even when I'm by myself "its not my fault" ;D ;D
i have an "I'm with stupid "shirt that i wear when i fish alone. ;D

sunracer1957
12-02-2005, 09:11 AM
Leaving the plug out of the boat brings back memories, went out with a friend of mine on Lake Erie we were on the water for a few hours and got ready to change spots and the boat wouldn't plane, I asked him if the plug was in and he realized that it wasen't so I was holding his feet while he got wet putting the plug in, ran the bildge and got on plane after that. :P

wet_n_ready
12-04-2005, 07:08 AM
My boyfriend and I did the same thing. I insisted on cleaning off the covers of our new Yamaha's and lowered the outboards. I didn't raise them again before my boyfriend backed the boat out of the driveway (now we blame each other!). Our's bent exactly like Sokoo's. We tried to straighten it but broke off a 4 sq inch piece!!

We found a place called Thomas Marine propeller in Rancho Cordova who welded it back on, painted it and it looks exactly like a new lower unit! Very pleased. This place was spotless and well organized. Excellent business.

The covers can stay dirty!

Reel_Lost
12-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Hell I fished for two hours for all those fish below me before I realized the damn fish finder was on simulator. By the way the skag story, I bought a jet, you can't hit the ramp with that thing.

GN.
12-05-2005, 08:05 PM
I'm guilty of most of these 2pid things you all are mentioning. I put a spare boat key on the ring with my truck keys so I can't get to the water without one. Saved my A$$ a few weeks ago. I forgot the plug twice now. Both times in darn cold water. You have to put your head under water to screw it in. Darn cold on Silver lake in fall. I also forgot to put the drive up once at silver. My skeg is about 1/4 in. shorter. I got lucky.

I've also developed a checklist I go over before I leave the house. Still I forget things sometimes.

What can I say. We're all human. I think.

SuperDave
12-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Some days are so dead on the water, I think I might try the fish finder in demo mode just for encouragement. Thanks for the idea! ;D

GN.
12-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Hinrid

I like that. LOL. I might give that a try if next salmon season is as slow as this one was.