PDA

View Full Version : Boat Doesn't Run at Idle..

donzitroller
11-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Got bored this weekend and brought my boat home from storage. It runs well at RPM's over about 2000, but cuts out and dies at anything lower than that. Anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Does the carb need a good cleaning? When it was in the shop a while back, the guy there said he thought there might be water in the fuel. Seems to me that with water in the fuel it wouldn't run so smooth at higher rev's. Thanks in advance!

Mickey_Thomas
11-27-2005, 07:00 PM
I'd run the gas line dry and add an additive to the gas tank, crank it up again and see if it helps, it sounds like bad gas to me.

FishMischief
11-28-2005, 12:23 PM
I would suggest running from new gas entirely. A fuel stabilizer wont necessarily fix bad fuel.

FishMischief
11-28-2005, 12:29 PM
If new gas doesn't work you might want to try this before a cleaning...

http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=000006

My 2 strk outboard doesn't load up at idle anymore and runs smoother at idle after I did this.

Mako
11-30-2005, 01:20 PM
I just completely rebuilt my carburator. It used to run rough at idles and extended trolling I would get soot on my stern. Since I rebuilt it the idle is great, no more soot, and I get better fuel efficiency. Runs extremely smooth and more power. I can't believe I didn't do this earlier. I would recommend yhis if your boat is older. It can't hurt with todays gas prices.

ghostfish_slayer
11-30-2005, 02:22 PM
if it runs on pump gas not mixed you can add a table spoon or a little more of rubbing alcohol to the fuel tank it will allow the water to burn through the carb instead of floating around in puddles clogging up your float bowl and fuel line pickup in the tank.

donzitroller
12-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Guys, thanks for all the input.. I have a full tank which is a bummer, but I think I'm going to scrap the plans of saving the gas and completely empty the tank and start over with good gas.. after all, it's down to $2.26 a gallon now! FISH ON!

freon
12-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Donzi, hook up a small gas can and run that and see if it clears it up, if it does, its your gas, if it doesnt, then its probably your carb, probably your float sticking due to old gas or the jets clogged up. Just my two cents worth.
Freon

FishMischief
12-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Not sure what type of engine your running there but on my 8HP merc 2 stroke if I mixed in too much oil it would do that as well but it was also even just hard to get started as well.

Freon is right, try new gas beofre you dispose of that. If it is water you can get a waterseperator to run inline. Not sure how much they cost but it may be worth it.

Mickey_Thomas
12-02-2005, 04:33 AM
And where can you take old gas to get rid of it? ??? like the guys said, try new gas first ;) I'm sure the old gas will cost you more than new gas just to dispose of it ???

Mako
12-02-2005, 10:31 AM
I have never had a gas problem, just don't ask my wife. Especially if you run your boat year around. I put an additional in line filter in with a glass so I can see the fuel, or if I picked up anything from a fuel station. I still recommend the carb rebuild if you rboat is older and have never done so. If you don't feel you can do it yourself (parts about $20) then yu can take it to the Carburator Factory in Sacramento and they do a 1 day turnaround for about $160. With the price of gas these days it will pay for itself.

Happy Trolling !