PDA

View Full Version : Penn 320 gt2

hqly2001
11-27-2005, 01:39 AM
i just got my first conventional reel and yup.. u guessed it... after my first cast.. my line is all messed up..
after cutting out half my new line.. i still can't cast the thing... each time i cast.. the reel would spin and the line would be all messed up.. i'm use to the spincasters... can anyone provide advice for this reel?
i think i'm suppose to leave my finger on there and apply pressure... but if i apply too much.. the cast doesn't go far.. if too little then i would have to fix the line.. help!!!!

thumbuster
11-27-2005, 07:54 AM
I'm new to casting with baitcasters also but what I've found is you need to adjust the tension on the spool so that your lure will slowly drop to the ground with no over-run. They are also hard to cast with lite lures. One other tip... Practice,Practice,Practice!

SturgeonVirgin
11-27-2005, 08:08 AM
one thing to keep in mind is that the cast on a convench reel is not the same as a spinner. In a spinner, you have that flick at the end of the cast to get the lure/bait to go where you want it to. Do that on a convench reel and you get a birdsnest....

Try a smooth acceleration to the end of the cast, more of a lob, to get started. Once you get the hang of it, start to add power and work up to it. Its different for sure. Go to walmart and get some cheap line in bulk, its like 3-5 bucks and spool up on that, then go to a park and practice casting over grass till you are able to cast like you want to. Then go to the good line and go fishing

Keep in mind a 320GT is a good reel, but don't expect huge distance from it. Big reels are made for big rigs, not always big casts. Remember the rule in casting distance is that it only has to hit the water!

DragonSlayer
11-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Mr T has some good advice on how to get better at casting a big reel and like anything else practice makes perfect. But IMO the fist thing you want to look at is the way the reel rolls when you open the free spool. First put on whatever set up your going to use IE slider, hook set up, weight and so on. Then with your thumb on the reel, raise the rod tip about four to five feet off the ground switch to free spool and and let it drop. If you reel birds nests a little (which is better then a lot :))you can adjust your free spool with a knurled knob right behind the star drag. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/p1283033reg.jpg Too much and it won't cast well too little and it will nest up so bad you may throw it overboard :o ::) You should have it set to drop to the ground and stop. This will take a little time to get just right but with that set right and your thumb ready to touch the line as it hits the water you should look like a Pro in no time. ;) ;D

DS 8)

fence_man
11-27-2005, 02:54 PM
practice ,thumb control on spool, I thumb the spool on one or the other less thumb burn on long cast.I cast a 15 ft. Lami glas one pieace rod . up on the colombia r.you rocket it out!! Also carry a pocket comb it works great for picking out birdnest...

mjonesjr
11-27-2005, 08:23 PM
DS layed it out well for you. Also learn to get those backlashes out. That's part of how you learn to remove them easily. Also try a push/pull spring tool. They run like $4 and can help a ton. With one of those I don't think there's a backlash I can't get out. I keep one in my tackle box just in case.

http://www.tecratools.com/pages/service/graphics/22123l.jpg

Screaming Reels,

mjonesjr

hqly2001
11-27-2005, 09:03 PM
thanks for advice..
do you put ur thumb on the line when it hits water or as you are casting it?
i've been keeping my thumb on the line .. which slows it down.. but doesn;t cause a big backlash now.. but i still get a little birds nest.. i;ve tighted the knob though.. hard times ..... :-[