PDA

View Full Version : Need help with hydrofoil stabilizer

Klamdog
11-24-2005, 07:08 PM
I have a stabilizer on my 40 hp Merc. 4-stroke. The guy I bought the motor from had it on a 16' Fisher, in hopes of planing faster! I have the motor on my 15' Klamath (a much lighter boat)! I have always had a problem with the boat wanting to lean to the right at higher speeds, sometimes to the point where I feel like I'm going to roll the boat over! I can correct it by trimming the motor up, however not completely, especially if the water is rough at all! I always attributed this problem to more weight being on the drivers side of the boat, I can't do much about this if I'm fishing alone! Is it possible that this stabilizer is causing the problem? I sure would appreciate any input! Thank You!

Durb
11-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Klamdog.

I have noticed the same thing with my 16' Gregor side console. It is not real bad but noticeable. I do not have a hydrofoil on my 45 hp Honda. I do have a trolling plate though. I am thinking it is the difference in weight when fishing alone. I would think the hydrofoil would help, but apparently not if you are having the problem. Maybe someone else will chime in.

dandeuce
11-24-2005, 11:07 PM
The hydrofoil is most likely NOT your problem , all aluminum boats I've owned tilt to the side the driver ( if solo ) is on or the side most weight is on if not solo . Next time your out solo try sitting in the center of the boat to see if your lean goes away . I put my battery , anchor , ice chest , etc. on the opposite side of the boat when I'm solo . Also I have a tiller steer so I mounted my seat a little closer to the center line than I might have in a side console set up .

Good Luck , Dan

Sardine
11-25-2005, 06:38 AM
My 14 foot Gregor with a 15 hp on it will do this too. If you looked real close at the seats in my boat you would see that they are not perfectly centered. The rear seat is off to right a little bit, it's steered by tiller so this helps me be more comfortable while under way. Then I offset one or both of the front seats to the opposite side so we are balanced when I have a passenger or two. I can also see better because they are not directly in line of sight for me. When solo I load the gas tank & two trolling motor batteries off center to the other side & that fixes the problem then. Under high speeds we move the second passenger to the center seat position because it will bow steer pretty bad too with to much weight up front. With 3 of us on board the lightest person goes up front.

Klamdog
11-26-2005, 07:15 AM
Thank You Guys,
As I said, I always figured it was a weight distribution problem. I was hoping someone would have told me it was being caused by the stabilizer. That would have been a quick fix!

survivor
11-26-2005, 07:41 AM
;D ;DKlamdog, you ought to know nothing is easy, lol. I have owned a ton of boats, only due to the fact I'm so dang old, and have owned a lot of Lumies(aluminum) boats. Weight and weight distribution is everything in keeping your boat level. I even used to put a sandbag in the boat to keep it evenly balanced. You might get a handle extension for your motor so you're able to scoot yourself to the center of the boat and still be able to steer okay. I'm sure you'll solve this problem easily. Just my 2 censt,
Paul aka Survivor ;D ;D

Chetco_Indian
11-26-2005, 08:01 AM
Klamdog the handle extension survivor suggested should take care of your problems as for the Bag she and I split the sheets now I lean. ;D ;D

Klamdog
11-26-2005, 09:54 AM
Survivor&CI,
Thanks, but this is a side console/steering! I'm stuck on that side! I'll have to look into the bag/s of sand. ???

willbilly
11-26-2005, 12:02 PM
I have been told I can be replaced with a sand bag ;D *;D

Do not forget the HITCHHIKER board IMHO a hitchhiker could be better than a sand bag. ;)

SturgeonVirgin
11-27-2005, 08:11 AM
Same issue with my boat, just me and she leans pretty good cuz I'm fat. Just adjust weight to compensate for it. You'll be fine.