PDA

View Full Version : Latest gimmick discoveries

Rusty_Hooks
10-20-2005, 10:25 AM
While at the pyramidfest this year I saw a couple things that were great uses of materials that are around everyones homes and qualify as worthy of passing on...

1.pool toy "Noodles" used as a travel bumper by Hinrid on his VHF antenna...slip it over the antenna and let it down against the hull...too simple...yet BRILLIANT!!! ;)

2. Farrier Frank and pink boats use of pipe insulation(1" pipe) for slips "over the gunnel" lure holders....another simple but BRILLIANT use of common materials...anyone without gunnel combing can use this material and when it gets too chewed up.....get another piece.... ;)

Frank...got a pic of that jewel?

Simple ideas that make life alot easier!!

SuperDave
10-20-2005, 11:45 AM
Rusty, you forgot to mention how the "Noodle" can be color coordinated with the color of the boat. * ;D

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/623/antenna25fw.jpg

SuperDave
10-20-2005, 11:49 AM
My other "proud of idea" was the use of bicycle handle bar head lamps as bimini top lights to light up the rear deck. The handle bar clamp fits perfectly around the bimini top tube and lights up the back of the boat while I rig rods in the pre-dawn hours.

Rusty_Hooks
10-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Don't stop now Dave, those are just too good....

and yes, I did leave out the color co-ordination of the noodle to the boat....

very chique ;D

Pictures, pictures, pictures*

SuperDave
10-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Last one, and I really hate to give this one up, is for those that don't like downrigger hum. A mini Nerf football with a piece of 1/4" plastic tubing running through it, makes the best dampener you'll find. If I had more confidence, this one would be in the patent office and I'd be rich.

Set_The_Hook
10-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Here's a gender specific one that works pretty well,
Cut a section of 2" dia thin walled PVC pipe about 2' or so long (depends on boat gunnel thickness)and store in boat. When it is time to "discard" used coffee or barley pops while fishing, simply find a discreet corner of boat and aim down pipe. (aiming the pipe over board!)
Eliminates potential mishaps resulting from poor aim, balance, # of barley pops, stream pressure, and waves. Then rinse pipe in water and save for future use.
Simple ;D

Rusty_Hooks
10-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Redefines the terminology for "extension" ;D

I won't start up the other engine ;) ;D ;D :o :o

SuperDave
10-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Okay, I lied! This is the last one. Anyone that tried to trailer their boat on the Sunday of Pyramidfest can appreciate this one. The addition of this Trex deck material to the trailer side bunks has totally eliminated the frustration of a boat that won't line up. Whether it is wind on the lake or current on the river, this is the ticket. NO MORE SWAY!

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/3992/guideafter17cf.jpg

Sierra_hillbilly
10-21-2005, 01:47 PM
I like the leader holder that Doc showed me. I guess this is Hammers baby. But Use Pipe insulation with some tacks to hold the leaders. It works great.

wetdog
10-21-2005, 08:34 PM
See'n as you can't keep live trout in da boat my live well has become my BEER cooler ! ;) ;D

Budman
10-21-2005, 09:35 PM
Here's a gender specific one that works pretty well,
Cut a section of 2" dia thin walled PVC pipe about 2' or so long (depends on boat gunnel thickness)and store in boat. When it is time to "discard" used coffee or barley pops while fishing... ;D

"...yep, you're right, it is cold but not very deep..."

fish4fun
10-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Doesn't the 2" diameter seems a little small!!! ;D ;D

Sierra_hillbilly
10-22-2005, 10:47 AM
1" would be fine for you I forgot ;D ;D ;D :P

fish4fun
10-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Is that 1" diameter or 1" in length?? ;D

Steelhead
10-23-2005, 08:41 PM
This conversation just got real shallow ;D
The best leader storage is the Pips box. It will hold 20 comfortable and isn't much bigger than a can of snuff. Had one fall out of my waders and into the soup at a campground privy;
OUCH!

fish4fun
10-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Yep, Steelhead, I agree with you. Won't make any more of those kind of innuendos on Board anymore. If they're easy to delete, it's ok with me.. Larry

SuperDave
11-24-2005, 12:54 PM
I lost an expensive landing net to the depths this year. So I modified my replacement to float. I bought a can of Great Stuff foam sealant and put a foam plug at each end of the handle. The handle will now not fill with water and make the net sink. No weight was added, all internal and works like a charm.

drstressor
11-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Hey Hinrid, I'm glad that you brought back this thread. How do you prevent the piece of pool noodle from sliding off the end of your antenna when you are traveling?

SuperDave
11-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Doc, look at the picture I included on the previous page. It will fit nicely under the travel cover. Also, the base of the antenna is slightly wider than the hole in the noodle, so a friction fit is pretty tight and would work for trips from Pyramid to your house without putting the cover back on.