PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Hull Transducer

kytransplant
11-22-2005, 06:13 PM
Anyone using these? I'm about to get a new fishfinder/gps and need to know if this option (Through-hull transducer) is worth-while. If it can save me drilling holes in my boat and work the same as a transom unit, I'm going to get it. But this is the beauty of the fish-sniffer, getting the latest info on fishing by those that know the best! Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

drstressor
11-22-2005, 09:42 PM
When you ask about a though hull transducer, do you mean a "shoot through the hull transducer" where you don't drill a hole or a "through hull transducer" where you drill a hole?

BITE_ME_II
11-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Hey Doc !! I saw the new Lowrance you should get at Sportsmans Warehouse today ;D ;D ;D

only $2199.00

It was like watching a flat screen T.V.

I took Remington shopping ( ok I didn't by anything but we walked around for an hour ) gotta break him in right!!!

BITE ME II
8) 8)

blue_chrush
11-24-2005, 07:55 AM
shooting thru the hull works....
you have to find a flat area that will see
straight down and then it has to be smooth
so the contact is flush and then you have to
glass it into place or epoxy it in....
this is kinda tuff on some boats...
one draw back is you won't get temps/speed
for this style unit...
the little paddle wheels help in slow trolling
speeds. and the last draw back is the cost of
the transducer, as it usually cost double what
the rear mount ones cost..
thats it....

blue_chrush
11-24-2005, 08:00 AM
ps....
if you want a color unit that has gps/plotter
this unit for the money is the hottest out there
right now for the money....
around 600, with the transducer..

http://www.lowrance.com/Marine/Products/LMS-337CDF.asp

go to the site and there is a test area you can do
on you computer and try it out...
I have had one for 3yrs and its awsome...

kytransplant
11-24-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks for input, and I was talking about a shoot-thru. This helps and I didn't even think about the temp. That might just make the difference. I already have a fishfinder on the boat, an older bowmount lowrance that is full of water.....hehe, anyway, I'm going to find a used one to replace that one. Looking into a dual color split screen, which is actually going to be a gift (woohoo).

The shoot-thru would come with the new at no extra charge, so if it was a big advantage, I would have gone to it, but I think I'll stick to the transom mount. Wish I had $2000 for a fishfinder, but that would be almost half of what I paid for my boat! Ahhh, someday!