PDA

View Full Version : Freezing weather  & outboards

vvbob
11-18-2005, 01:27 PM
I am currently at Eagle lake. I have been here for the week, & it has been cold.Last night it was >20 degrees.
I have a 9.9 Mercury Pro Kicker on my Lund
It wouldn't turn over this morning, something was frozen. It has a manual pull cord & that wouldn't budge either. After 10 minutes or so of massaging the pull cord everything broke loose, & I was able to start it electrically. It took forever to warm up, so it was really cold.
My question is: Should I leave the motor down in the water at night, or raise it up??
Also in the up position does all the water drain out??

Thanks in Advance
VVbob

SuperDave
11-18-2005, 02:08 PM
The water will not drain out in the "up" position. I would suggest letting it run for a few seconds after you put it in the up position to discharge the water still in the system.

drstressor
11-18-2005, 03:10 PM
Most likely your impeller/water pump was frozen. Keep your lower unit in the water when it gets well below freezing. Eagle Lake water is not really corrosive. It just forms deposits when it dries down on parts. Keeping you engines down over night won't hurt a thing and may actually be better than letting the water in the lower unit dry out every night or worse yet freeze.

You should check your impeller when you get back in case you broke an arm off by forcing something.

vvbob
11-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Doc
It is putting out a good stream of water, would it do this if the impeller were bad??
I have been keeping it in the water (down) overnight.

drstressor
11-18-2005, 08:42 PM
It's probably OK. As long as you see a good stream and you aren't overheating, you won't damage anything. Until next summer. ;) You should check or just replace your impeller every few hindered hours in any case.

vvbob
11-18-2005, 08:55 PM
I will check it when I get home Monday. Hopefully I won't have any problems in the morning....

SuperDave
11-19-2005, 12:53 PM
A VERY common late season issue at Eagle is small pieces of ice hitting the impeller blades and breaking them off. The plastic gets brittle from age or cold temperature. IF it every happens to you when you are there, the guy at the HWY 36 turn off to the lake has impellers. It is only about 30 minutes from the south end of the lake, 50-60 minutes from Spaulding.

vvbob
11-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Hinrid
thanks for the info.
It was 15 degrees up here this AM, that was colder than yesterday.
Kicker started just fine this morning. It was back to normal. After a short warm up I put it in gear & it idled down just perfect....so I don't know what its problem was yesterday, I mean I had to nurse it into gear & then go fast (MPH) for 1/4 mile before it would idle correctly ???
Spooks!!!