PDA

View Full Version : Oil change on I/O

leadcore
11-10-2005, 01:57 PM
I just purchased a use boat with a Merc I/0. I am in the process of cleaning it up and going through the motor and lower unit. What's the best way to do an oil change on an I/O. I would hate to have to let it drain into the sump and then out the drain hole. There must be a better way. I know all of you expert sniffers out there must have a better way of doing this. Please fill me in.

dirtydan
11-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Pump it out of the oil fill tube - that's how it's done. You can get a cheap manual pump, one that works on a drill, or go for the big bucks and get an auto pump.

robert_long
11-10-2005, 03:56 PM
West Marine has a nice vacuum container the holds about
5-6 qts , works great.

Robert

SturgeonVirgin
11-10-2005, 05:50 PM
I just purchased a use boat with a Merc I/0. *I am in the process of cleaning it up and going through the motor and lower unit. *What's the best way to do an oil change on an I/O. *I would hate to have to let it drain into the sump and then out the drain hole. *There must be a better way. *I know all of you expert sniffers out there must have a better way of doing this. *Please fill me in.

I set up a funnel with a hose that went out the drain hole, put the funnel under the plug, pulled it out and let it run through the tubing out to the collection can. I did not like the idea of sucking oil out of the fill hole, all the gunk is at the bottom of the pan and I wanted it out. Took a bit of doing but I felt a lot better about doing it this way....

Off_The_Hook
11-11-2005, 12:16 PM
I use the Pela 650. It works great.

http://www.pelaproducts.com/PL650-use.gif

shotgun
11-11-2005, 01:46 PM
I use one similar to the picture above. Got it at wally-world. saves a bundle on the price a shop. but don't forget to watch the level so that it does not overflow to the carpet. :(. Oh ya, I know a guy that happened to. :-[

While your at it, don't forget the lower unit. In case your new to it all, It uses different type of oil. there are two large screws on the lower unit. remove both to drain old oil. Then put the squeeze the oil through the lower hole until it flows out the upper. put the screw on the upper hole. the vacumn will be sufficient to allow you to put the lower screw on without much oil loss.

Good luck.

penn_yan_bill
11-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Hey Mr T,

I always was worried about just how much gunk came out with pumping out the dipstick tube too. However, when I re-powered my 302 I was amazed how clean the oil pan was. I re-powered in 2001 and it was a 1972 engine. I don't worry any more, just pump away.

drstressor
11-13-2005, 06:30 PM
Yep. The dipstick pumps work very well. They remove more oil from the sump than you would think. Any oil change leaves between 0.5 and 1 quart of old oil in the engine anyway. Just make sure that you warm the engine up before draining the oil.

Silver_Streak
11-14-2005, 07:14 AM
You might want to try the set-up that I have on my Kodiac Vortec. Instead of a drain plug, I have a fitting with about 3-4 feet of hose attached. On the end of the hose a fitting and a plug. In other words, the plug is at the end of the hose. To drain the oil, I run the hose through the drain plug (it hangs out side and below the boat), open the plug at the end of the hose into an oil pan by gravity and your done. I don't see why you also couldn't attach the pump at this end as well. It works great with no mess in the boat at all. One problem with sucking the oil out of the dip stick is that a lot of times you cannot reach the bottom of the pan in the engine. My engine came equiped like this from Kodiac, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for most inboards. The only drawback might be where you drain plug on your boat is located in relation to your oil drain plug. Hope this helps!! ;)

viper2
11-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Make sure you change the oil filter also or you will be changing the oil for little use.

I have a 4.3 V6 and it is a little messy getting the filter out with the oil in it. Be sure and put down some rags under it first.

norcalfishslayer
11-14-2005, 08:57 PM
My 4.3L V-6 doesn't even have a drain plug. I use one of the vacuum pumps like the picture above. Works great!

Frank

tdekens
11-16-2005, 11:44 AM
My 351 Redline is like SS's. Where the drain plug is there is a hose attached to it that usually sits on top of the engine. You merely just poke it out the drain hole of the boat and remove the fitting on the end. No pumps, no missed oil except the oil in the block. It just drains out into your pan. Put the cap back on the hose and stick it back up above the engine. I think though you would have to install that when the motor was out of the boat though like when you did a rebuild but something to keep in mind if you are doing that the next time.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

gfishes
11-16-2005, 08:26 PM
I recommend that you use synthetic oil in your lower unit.