PDA

View Full Version : Minn-Kota electric outboard?

Erreck
11-13-2005, 06:14 AM
That's right, "electric outboard"... Minn-kota has had a 5hp electric outboard out for a couple years now and I'd like to see if anyone here has used one? Likes? Dis-likes? Overall performance?

I'm thinking of getting one to use on my local electric only lake for next spring, but don't want to spend the $$ if it's not worth it.

willbilly
11-13-2005, 07:10 AM
I you want to get one ::)

I saw them re-con'ed at Cabela's last winter for a major price cut.

Erreck
11-13-2005, 08:45 AM
I you want to get one ::)

???HUH? ???

I saw the Cabelas deal also. Still pricey, but it might be worth it.

fish4fun
11-13-2005, 11:09 AM
I'm not sure how 5hp translates into pounds of thrust. I guess I'm wondering if you need 5hp and wondering about how long batteries will last on a 5hp. I've got a 74 pound thrust Minnkota that runs on 2 batteries(24volts). If I troll around 1.5 mph, the batteries will last for around 7 or 8 hours. If I had to use the motor to get around a lake at higher speeds and then for trolling, the batteries wouldn't last nearly that long. If the lake you're fishing is really small, then maybe it's not a problem. Anyway, just thought this info might be helpful in making a decision.. Larry

Erreck
11-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Battery power is not an issue (4 deep cycles on already). I'd probably run a 30lb. motor for trolling. I'm just wanting something to get me accross the lake quickly... And have some fun with ;). Do I "need" a 5hp electric outboard? No. I want one.

fish4fun
11-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Erreck.. Sounds like the 5hp Minnkota has your name written all over it. With 4 batteries on board.. no problemo.. sounds like a good idea.. Larry