PDA

View Full Version : Striper v. Trophy

dirtydan
11-09-2005, 11:07 AM
Thinking about getting rid of the big boat (26' Bayliner) and getting a smaller fishing boat. I want to stick with glass - and I like the (small) cuddy on the trophy and stripers. I'm probably going with the 21 foot boat - I like the trailerability and versatility of it.

I realize that Stripers are a higher quality boat - at least I hope so cause they cost more. But - dollar for dollar - what's the better boat and why? Does anyone have experience with the 21' version of either brand?

Motors - outboard or I/O? why?

I stopped at looked at a few stripers - nice boats. Some have a composite outdrive (no corrosion), internal cooling (except exhaust) and a salt-neutralizer injector for the freshwater exhaust components.

How about prices generally? These guys are all over the board - it's like they're making it up as they go.

Thanks guys.
-D

mercury89
11-09-2005, 03:02 PM
I persomally think that the striper is definitely a better boat- but you are right, it is more expensive than a trophy. If you liked your bayliner, the trophy is made by them.
I would look at something with an outboard. The units dont infringe on cockpit space like an i/o engine would, also if you ever need to repower its just a matter of bolts being removed and a new engine being put in place of the old. The newer direct injected 2 strokes (mercury optimax) or a 4 stroke are lighter and will get as good as or better fuel economy as an i/o. The outboard is also easier to work on if you do your own maintenance.
I think a 21 foor boat is a good size, I spent a good deal of time on a 21 foot Boston Whaler and it handled 30 miles offshore no problem, also they go pretty fast with moderate power, 150 horsepower is about good.\
Have a look around your area for whats available-good luck in your search.

AM

Fishmeister
11-09-2005, 04:18 PM
I've been looking too. Pretty much down to the same manufacturers. It looks to me that the Stripper has a much better finish and layout than the Trophy. I have a SeaSwirl open bow now. Bought it new in 83 and still as solid as the day I bought it. I've been looking at the 23 foot. Started shopping the used market. Pretty scarce but those listed seem to be about 30% less than new for a 2 or 3 year old boat. I prefer an I/O. Don't like all that hardware hanging behind me. Makes it harder to use for skiing and tubing. Don't think that the I/O takes up that much room the way the boat is designed. The outboard does float different though.

dirtydan
11-09-2005, 04:23 PM
I finally went to look at Trophys today - and you can tell the difference. As for the I/O vs. outboard for "roominess" - I looked at both and there is no measureable difference in cockpit space - for what its worth. I've always disliked trailering an outboard . . . something about that 600# hanging off the back of the boat. :o

fishguts
11-09-2005, 05:23 PM
I had a 2002 trophy model 2052 walk around cuddy (bought new) and liked it very much, I used it alot in the Bay, off Bodega and pulled it down to Santa Cruz, but spent most of my time in the lower delta area. I've even anchored up near the American for salmon.
I didn't care for the fish boxes in the floor since the pumps never seemed to get rid of all the water and they were a pain to clean and always filled up after washing or when it rained. I thought the cabin was comfortable and slept in it and my boys loved hanging out in it and playing games around the table. I also think they could have put the live bait well in a better place but I didn't use it that much to really care. I do think it lacked rear space for actual fishing so the number of people you can fish off it is deceiving.
The only way you will get some extra fising room with any boat is to go with the outboard on an offshore platform.
Depsite some of its quirks I did like it and it performed well.
I also like the striper models too and I think they look nicer comparitavely. If you know of anyone that has both models, go out in them and see how they do in an actual fishing situation, its really hard to judge looking at them on the trailer with a salesperson hovering nearby. I am sure there are plenty of trophy and striper owners on this board that would love to show you their boats.
I don't own my trophy anymore and replaced it with a 20ft. NorthRiver Seahawk. Its all a matter of what you want to do with it.

robert_long
11-10-2005, 10:42 AM
I had a Striper 1995 2150 IO V8 cuddy/walk around with a hard top for about 5-6 years. It was a good boat, used it off shore for salmon and tuna. It had a 83 gal gas tank and got ok gas mileage. Biggest tuna trip was 140 miles round trip, and still had gas left. The motor box was no problem at all, in fact some of my wimpy buddies would sit on it will bringing in a fisty tuna.

Robert

Steelhead
11-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Anyone had wiring problems with these boats? Haven't owned either but have had fishing days cut short by both due to wiring problems.

drstressor
11-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Saltwater and/or humidity = wiring problems.

It's not brand specific. I used to re-wire my Grady Whites every 3 years in Florida whether they needed it or not. Wiring problems went away.