PDA

View Full Version : Gimbal bearings

STURGEONSTOMPER
11-06-2005, 09:23 AM
What causes them to go bad? I just had them replaced 2 years ago and now they are making noise again >:( Why :-/

SturgeonVirgin
11-06-2005, 09:43 AM
What causes them to go bad? I just had them replaced 2 years ago and now they are making noise again >:( Why :-/

Alignment; course the way you drive might have something to do with it as well ya know....

Coulda been a bad set that went in, not installed correctly, lot of things could do it.

STURGEONSTOMPER
11-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Yea I figured as much. I was told that going from neutral to foward/ reverse to suddenly will cause them to fail also. Man I do not want to go through that again >:( Better slow down huh :-/

somebody
11-06-2005, 09:51 AM
basically there re three reasons--#1 you dont grease it--@2-if it was put it in backwards the grease cannot get into the bearing---#3 if it is not lined up where the drive shaft goes thru it the driveshaft will load one side of the bearing and you should have a vibration. #4 to many hours fishing and if that is the problem -oh well , dont tell your wife; blame the mechanic

STURGEONSTOMPER
11-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Yea I do that anyhow :P

SuperDave
11-06-2005, 07:28 PM
The one time mine went out, it was about a year and a half after the previous owner had replaced it. Maybe bad re-installations? The shop I had replace it it told me all it takes is a small pin hole leak in a seal for water to get in and they will burn up. My boat was 12 years old so I could believe seals would be old and crack. Apparently, even debris in the water can cause it.