PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find comfortable boat seats...

RUFKM
10-31-2005, 08:45 PM
I have looked on Ebay, cabelas and do boat seats really cost $80 ea. plus mounting brackets, plus swivel seats. I have a 14ft. valco that I am trying to fix up and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Klamdog
10-31-2005, 10:07 PM
RUFKM,
Yes, that is pretty much ballpark! I have seen seats at walmart, for around $30. For a small aluminum boat, you might check them out. But you do still have to buy the swivel and mount! Good Luck!

RonM
10-31-2005, 10:18 PM
I have the one from Walmart (Wise Econo), it was only 25.00. The quality isn't great but it works okay. After sitting on it a few hours it seems like your sitting on a board. I was looking at West Marine and they have a nice B&M for 52.00, I was going to give that a shot. The Walmart swivel will work it was only 5.00. I used the Cuda mount spring clamp, it was 30.00 at Fishermans Warehouse. Walmart does carry a clamp screw style mount for I think 10.00.

dempsey
11-01-2005, 01:20 AM
Hi I also have a 14ft valco and I just bought a seat for it that I think is pretty comfy, It is called a COOL RIDE. I think I got mine at K -Mart. Yeah it was $39+$32 for the Cuda clamp +$7 for the swivel + TAX= about $80. it's a pretty cool seat though, it's not foam covered seat like most. It is a plastic frame with a tight woven mesh type material streched across the back and the seat part, that lets the air flow threw it for the "COOL RIDE", It is pleanty strong and is alot wider than the foam covered fold down type, I think it maybe a little lighter and IMO a lot more comfy as you dont have to sit up striaght like your sitting on the end of a broom, you can get that lean go-n-on . That was the most appelling seat I saw that was'nt in the triple digits and so far I'm happy with it, and I fish SAN PABLO BAY mostly and it has held up ot the abuse from the lovly white caps out there at full throttle. Check it out, you might like it.

RUFKM
11-01-2005, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the information! What is the cuda clamp?

RonM
11-01-2005, 07:52 AM
It's an aluminun seat clamp that's spring loaded so you can remove it without tools. You can just pull the seat back and the clamp will open so you can move the seat. If I'm anchored I pull the seat off and move it forward so I can sit looking back. It's cost more but I like to be able to move the seats to fit what I need at the time.

GCinGV
11-01-2005, 08:21 AM
“After sitting on it a few hours it seems like your sitting on a board.”
One of the biggest differences between the cheep seats and the more expensive ones is the cushion foam density. With the cheaper low density foam you just bottom out. Backrest foam needs to be soft but cushion foam should be pretty firm because it supports all of your weight.
One thing you can do that will greatly improve the comfort of the cheaper seats, if you’re handy with a staple gun, is to remove the cover, slice off about 1” of the foam with an electric carving knife and replace it with 2 layers of ½” re-bonded carpet padding. Use contact or rubber cement to glue the layers together. Put line-up marks on the cover and seat bottom to help get it stapled back it the correct position. The combination of the re-bond and the soft layer on top makes for a pretty comfortable seat that won’t bottom out.
GC
Former upholstery guy.

RonM
11-01-2005, 09:27 AM
“After sitting on it a few hours it seems like your sitting on a board.”
One of the biggest differences between the cheep seats and the more expensive ones is the cushion foam density. With the cheaper low density foam you just bottom out. Backrest foam needs to be soft but cushion foam should be pretty firm because it supports all of your weight.
One thing you can do that will greatly improve the comfort of the cheaper seats, if you’re handy with a staple gun, is to remove the cover, slice off about 1” of the foam with an electric carving knife and replace it with 2 layers of ½” re-bonded carpet padding. Use contact or rubber cement to glue the layers together. Put line-up marks on the cover and seat bottom to help get it stapled back it the correct position. The combination of the re-bond and the soft layer on top makes for a pretty comfortable seat that won’t bottom out.
GC
Former upholstery guy.

Great ideal, I have some of that sitting around....Thanks

basil
11-02-2005, 01:41 PM
At 80 bucks apiece, they are a deal. The seats you see at that price are made in Asia, by folks making a buck an hour. I am currently making seats for my boat ( I used to be a trimmer in a custom upholstry shop) and they will cost that much using wholesale materials and I will still need the metal mounting hardware.

It takes about 8 hours to make two seats and four yards of vinyl. So you have 8 times $40 plus materials at about 15 bucks a yard. That makes about $300 dollars. Then you have foam and wood and staples. So a pair of custom seats with mounting hardware could easily run you $500 bucks.

Another way to look at it is... If you have a twenty five foot boat and go fishing for one day it's going to cost you more than eighty bucks in gas for the boat and car, bait, beer, food and lures. Eighty bucks is dirt.

slowtroller
11-02-2005, 01:47 PM
RUFKM
I picked up one two years ago and found a great one at Bass Pro Shops. Price was right and they have a swivel bracket for less than 10 bucks. :) :)

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=7660&hvarDept=200&hvarEv ent=&hvarClassCode=4&hvarSubCode=8&hvarTarget=brow se

Sardine
11-02-2005, 05:24 PM
I got a very nice one on sale at West Marine for $49.oo. It replaced my K-Mart seat which was okay for the price.

Chapa
11-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Hey RUFKM

I have a 93 Tracker Deep V and a few years back I bought some high quality seats from Tracker and they were a little wide and when I would swing they would hit the side of the boat. Anyways I still have them and have no use for them If intrested I would take $75 for both. They are really comfortable. If intrested message me.

Chapa