PDA

View Full Version : Cannon Line Realeses

Big Ken
10-25-2005, 02:17 PM
I just got my Mag 10's installed on my boat & I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is the best kind of line releases to use.. What works best for you guys? I will be using my downrigger for Browns,Kokes, & Macks if that matters.

fishnphool

Dennis
10-25-2005, 04:01 PM
I like Seps releases. *I also like the tubing around the cable. *It seems to keep the cables from kinking.

http://www.seps.com/images/Products/SEPS%20PRODUCTS%202005%20039%20surerelease_small.j pg

krzyfshrmn
10-25-2005, 04:09 PM
I've never been a big fan of Cannon releases. You can't go wrong with the Scottys ;)

Off_The_Hook
10-25-2005, 04:12 PM
I have tried a couple, but like the small Scotty releases the best.

http://www.alltackle.com/1170_1179.jpg

TS5655
10-25-2005, 04:22 PM
I use Vance's releases with Seps and Scottys second. I don't like the Cannons.

TS

RonM
10-25-2005, 04:47 PM
I use the smaller Sep's for trout and Kokes. I didn't care for the Cannon's.

fishguts
10-25-2005, 07:28 PM
I've tried it all in my learning phases and like the Vance's as the most consitant and reliable. So I use the others as backups if I lose one over the side.

fish4fun
10-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Vances and Seps both use the same yellow Off Shore releases. So, there's no real difference in how well the release clip itself works. Seps recently came up with the releases that Dennis had in his picture. Thats my favorite release for a couple of reasons. For one, it's long.. about 18 inches. This makes it a lot easier to grab out of the water and hold it at gunwhale height and put the line from my rod in the clip. Second, the plastic tubing over the wire traps a little air and floats the release on top of the water making it easier to grab hold of. When you get old like me little things like this make a difference ;).. Larry

Mickey_Thomas
10-26-2005, 03:42 AM
I use the Scotty's for everything, never tried Vance's or Seps or Cannons, never felt the need ;) I do like the idea of the rubber cover on those new Seps ones, maybe I'll try Dennis's if I can get him out on Fri. ;)

Mark_Damron
10-26-2005, 03:53 AM
Fish4fun nailed it!! The Sep's and Vance's are the same as far as the release itself,yellow part. I use the Sep's with the black tubing and they work great. I set the the adjustable spring light when fishing shallow and a heavy when fishing deep to keep from releasing when loading up the rod. PHM

Silver_Streak
10-26-2005, 04:25 AM
I agree with you Fishforfun. Those two releases appear to be the same, just different labeling. I buy the Vance's brand and am happy with them. The releases that they give you with the Cannons are usually the big ones for a heavier application that what you're looking for, I think. I usually only buy the ones that have the stacker release clip on them, even if I'm not stacking the lines. That way, I can put the clip anywhere on the cable. ;)

Mickey_Thomas
10-26-2005, 04:35 AM
I usually buy Vance's products because he's a member of our forums and doesn't push his stuff, he's a fisherman just like the rest of us (except for the custom boats ::)) Sep might be a sneak reader ::) no way of knowing but if he isn't a member it's his fault. Same with Steve's fishing supplies, members who are actually a part of our forums should get consideration when you have a choice. But that's just me. ;D

wetdog
10-26-2005, 05:15 AM
Anybody tried the Gismo release uses a rubber band ? made by a guy from Placerville . ???

fish4fun
10-26-2005, 08:25 AM
Ever notice that if you buy the stacker clip and a line release clip separately, the total cost is less than a line release already attached to the stacker clip? At least this is true in the stores I shop at. For other reasons than saving a dollar, I prefer to buy them separately. When they're separate you can still clip the line release to the stacker clip and have the combo. You can also use the line release without the stacker clip. More fishing flexibility.. Larry

Dennis
10-26-2005, 08:28 AM
fish4fun added all the reasons why I like Seps. *

Mickey, I think Sep is a sneak reader. *He's mentioned more than once that the Fish Sniffer has the best board around. *But then again his wife might be the one on the board. *No way of actually knowing. *Like you aluded to it's his loss. *I'm ready for Friday. *I even put the top in the boat just in case you want to take mine. *

wetdog,

I've looked at the Gismo's but I just don't know. *It would be nice if someone posted about it. *One of the con's is that you'd have to reach over the side to get to it. *I'd also like to hear from Oxbow and others *as why they like the Roemer releases. *

Maz
10-26-2005, 06:34 PM
I just picked up a couple of Vance's stacker releases with the yellow offshore release clip. How do you adjust the spring for sensitivity..
Maz

Dennis
10-26-2005, 08:45 PM
There's two ways to adjust the sensitivity.

One: Put the line only partway into the clip. About half way through the round dot like impression is a good starting point.

Two: Slide the spring either forward or back.
Moving the spring gives more or less overall pressure. Can't remember if forward is less pressure or more. Try it and you'll figure it out. BTW some of the smaller diameter lines will not work well. I've found that it's better to use 8# for the main line and then use lighter leaders when appropriate.

Erreck
10-27-2005, 04:45 AM
I must be weird, but I really like the large Cannon releases. I use them for rainbows, browns, macks, and salmon (coho/kings). For kokes, I like to use the small "light weight" releases. I'm not really brand loyal on the small ones, but tend to buy Sep's when I can find them.

Maz
10-27-2005, 07:07 AM
Thanks Dennis..I will give that spring a slide and see what happens.
Maz

Set_The_Hook
10-27-2005, 07:33 AM
I use an old version of the cannon release. They came in a pair. They are more like clothes pins than the other releases. The have soft rubber pads the line rides in. You don't adjust any little knobs just experiment on how far the line is clipped in the release. I will try to remember to take pics when I get home and post them.
Bill
They look like the ones in the link
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166&id=0019078010604a& navCount=3&podId=0019078&parentId=cat20985&navActi on=push&catalogCode=IF&rid=&parentType=index&index Id=cat20985&hasJS=true

SuperDave
10-27-2005, 08:02 AM
Question for those using the Seps release. I recently started using the new, longer release with plastic shield over the wire. It seems to me that the release rides high, maybe 45 degrees above the ball clip point. Anybody else notice this? Adding a foot to your drop?

Dennis
10-27-2005, 08:06 AM
Yes but as most people tend to fish below the fish a foot or two above the ball is probably going to hook up more for most. Remember fish will move up to a bait more often.

fish4fun
10-27-2005, 12:15 PM
Hinrid, I don't quite understand the problem you are describing. But when a rod in the downrigger is tightened up enough to put a bow in the rod, this pulls the line release up above where it is attached to the rigger. So line releases most always ride high. Then most lures run a few feet deeper when being trolled. When all is said and done, the lures are probably a few feet deeper than where the release is attached to the rigger. So when you troll for fish you're marking at say 40 ft, you want to set the rigger so the point where the release is attached is 7 to 12 ft above the fish. Like Dennis said fish can see up but not down and will come up to attack a lure.. Larry

Oxbow
10-27-2005, 09:34 PM
OK Dennis, Just for you!

I have been using the Roemer release, "roemerrelease.com" for over 20 years. *During that time I have tried any number of what I call "pinch" type releases plus 2 or 3 other styles but I always go back to the Roemer release. *What I like about the release:

1. *It is the best piece of engineering for a fishing release that I have come across.
2. *Within reason, you can set the tension to a near infinity of different pressures so that a small bluegill will release it or set it tighter and you get a good hookset on a large striper or salmon, no need for 2 or more different releases.
3. *I can bend my limber trout rods nearly down to the water to help take up any bow in the vertical section of the line when the line releases with a fish on.
4. *You can buy parts for the release if anything wears out from the Roemer website. *I have never worn one out but have had to replace a small item or two on rare occasion.
5. *They are easy to stack as received and need no other attachments.
6. *Once the tension is set for line size and size of fish you expect to catch you can fish for weeks and never touch the tension again.
7. *I never have early releases like I have had plenty of with the "pinch" type releases.
8. *It is easy to self release the line by taking up any slack and giving a sharp upward jerk.
9. *The release is put together with tapered pins and is easy to disassemble if you need to replace anything.
10. The release is attached directly to the cable and the line goes straight back from there i.e. the line does not ride higher or lower than the attachment point to the cable because there is no wire or cable holding the release a foot or so away from the rigger cable.

That's all I can think of just now. *The only reason I buy new ones is when I hang up a downrigger ball and have to cut the steel cable. *I have donated about 6 or 7 releases and rigger weights just in Melones over the years.

Good luck to all with whatever release you choose, I'll be using the Roemer's and hope they have them in the big fishing lake in the sky whenever I get there.

Mickey_Thomas
10-28-2005, 03:21 AM
All good points Ox, but I hate the name of them ;D ;D ;D Tell everybody the real reason you use them, you can't get the hang of anyother kind ;)

Oxbow
10-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Well Mickey, I felt that a legitimate answer to a legitimate question from a fellow sniffer was a useful endeavor and other than increasing your post count the usefulness of your post was? Just wanted you to know that I can also enjoy funning you in a sarcastic manner as well.

P.S. Just to make sure this post serves some useful purpose, you are still invited to come down and catch some of those big bows at Melones, just let me know when!

Mickey_Thomas
10-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Sorry Oxbow, couldn't resist ;D I was barely awake so I took a shot and left. Dennis told me you'd get even 8)

Oxbow
10-29-2005, 07:25 AM
;D