PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, or Nissan

trouttroller
10-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Which is the best four stroke midrange motor to purchase right now? Midrange meaning 40-50 horse.

drstressor
10-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Nissans (Tohatsus) are a cut below the others in smoothness and sound levels. But they are very reliable and relatively inexpensive. Hondas are great engines but the mid range motors won't get fuel injection until next year. Shop according to price and service and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Off_The_Hook
10-25-2005, 05:17 AM
I'd look at the Yamaha. They make a 50hp fuel injected 4-stroke. I have two Yamaha's that I am very pleased with. I have talked with many Yamaha owners at the ramp, and all have been pleased with their motors.

Check out:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/products/subcathome/2/home.aspx

Erreck
10-25-2005, 05:37 AM
My neighbor has the Honda 50hp. Before that, he had the Nissan (40hp I think). The Honda is much quietter at WOT than the Nissan, but I think the Nissan ran smoother at lower speeds.

All of the motors that you mentioned are great. You'd probably be happy with any one of them. But, I do have one question... Have you thought about Merc.?

fish4fun
10-25-2005, 06:21 AM
I'd go with the Suzuki, Honda or Yamaha. The Suzuki and Yamaha have fuel injection and the Honda doesn't. Fuel injection should give you a little smoother running at all speeds and perhaps somewhat easier starting. However Hondas have an excellent, well deserved reputation. If you're tiller steering the boat, I'd go with the Yamaha. It has the best tiller arm and a has a great feature that lets you very finely adjust the motor speed for trolling. However it doesn't have this feature when you're adjusting the speed via a throttle arm next to the steering console. In a nutshell, they're all good motors.

Fishtale
10-25-2005, 06:59 AM
I have a Honda 40 and wouldn't trade it for anything. Nice and quiet and trolls like a dream.

Klamdog
10-25-2005, 03:03 PM
I just want to add my Merc. 40 4-stroke EFI into the mix, I wouldn't trade it for any of the above! Just my opinion!