PDA

View Full Version : Boat Security

tjfish
10-13-2005, 05:58 PM
I am hearing more and more stories about people having Kicker motors, props, tackle, etc. stolen from their boats. Does anyone have a alarm system (like cars) or other security devices installed on their boats? I would like to hear what you have and the brand if possible.

Thanks,
TJ

Rusty_Hooks
10-13-2005, 06:29 PM
240v at 80 amps ought to do it :o :o :o :o :o :o :o >:(

ITUKAWAL
10-14-2005, 07:17 AM
240v at 80 amps ought to do it :o :o *:o :o :o :o :o >:(

Instant crispy critters - oh yeah ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

vvbob
10-14-2005, 08:04 AM
I have put locks on all my compartments, I have have a security lock on my LCD depth finder. My kicker motor is bolted to the hull.
When I come in from fishing I stow all my equipment.I also cover my boat when in a dock.

Don't make it easy for a thief, bolt stuff down. If they have to have tools to get it off they will go on to something easier.

FishMischief
10-14-2005, 10:24 AM
I was kinda bummer that my new minn kota didnt have a way to pad lock the bolts. My last Minn kota had holes in the bolt handles and I used to lock them together so the could not be undone without removing the lock.

I also lock everything up in compartments with pad locks and put my tackle box in the car. I have been padlocking my trailer coupler as well since All Fish had his whole boat stolen.

Off_The_Hook
10-14-2005, 05:26 PM
I have often wanted an alarm system, much like that in a car. My boat is normally within earshot, so an alarm would work for me.

I have researched it a little, and have given serious thought to putting in an alarm with a proximity sensor. I have talked to a few stereo shops, but haven't trusted anyone I have talked to. I'm not so sure that the electronics would stand up to the marine environment.

I would like to hear anyone's thoughts on that.

tjfish
10-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Off The Hook,

We are at the same point. I just don't know for sure what is the best alarm to have installed on a boat. Some of these new alarms will send a signal right to your room (if you have the controller with you)if someone is messing with your boat. The Circuit City people tell me that they install a lot of these alarms on boats.

Thanks for your reply. I am still hopeful that more information will be available soon.

fish4fun
10-14-2005, 09:58 PM
I just lock my kicker to the transom with a padlock through the handles. This has worked for the last 3 years. It's not foolproof. If someone wanted to they could cut it off. Bolting the kicker to the hull would be a little better if there's a way to lock the bolts and nuts up so they can't be removed with a wrench. Sounds like an alarm might offer additional protection. Let us know if you find a good alarm.. Larry

FISHSTALKER
10-15-2005, 04:06 AM
Big Guard Dog. ;D