PDA

View Full Version : How long to flush fresh water thru outboard?

bluestar
10-11-2005, 05:10 PM
I must admit I did not have a habit of burning up residual gas in the fuel line, and I want to start doing that. Today I tried to burn up gas in the outboard fuel line and using that idle time to flush the saltwater. Having disconnected the tank, I started the motor; and it ran for no more than 30 seconds before shutting down.

This seems like a very short time to burn up the gas. Is this normal? I have a a Nissan 9.8 and at the time the outboard is in near horizontal position.

2nd question is, is flushing the motor for 30 seconds enough to get all the salt water out?

ghostfish_slayer
10-11-2005, 05:27 PM
we have unhooked the gas line then ran the motor untill it dies.been doing that for over 20 years now.

bluestar
10-11-2005, 06:33 PM
After fuel tank is disconnected, how long does your motor idle until it runs out of gas?

ghostfish_slayer
10-11-2005, 06:40 PM
long enough to flush the salt water out.at least a good min.or two.some times we run it,wind it up a few times then unhook the line.then let it idle out.the neighbors really like that,that's ok though.they make noise too.

somebody
10-11-2005, 06:47 PM
do i understand you to say the motor was tilted up and you were not running water thru it? you didnt have it vertical? it wasnt in a tub in neutral. the tub was full of fresh water or hose was running water in. you burned up your water pump? you dont have manual?

ghostfish_slayer
10-11-2005, 07:26 PM
at least run the hose to it.with the muffs on.or the newer style conections.blast it with the hose/fresh water in the prop down runing position and let it run.run it long enough to flush it out.as soon as it starts pissling out the p hole it is flushing.then unplug the gas and let it idle out.some poeple even run corode x in a flush bottle through their motor.you should search for and follow what the manufacture recomends for that motor.

Off_The_Hook
10-11-2005, 08:54 PM
After saltwater use, I flush mine at the ramp with fresh water for at least 10 minutes. Longer if I can.

I run it again when I get home, or even better yet, drop it in a lake for some trout fishing.

just_hooked
10-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Hi, I run my motor long enough to allow the thermostat to open, this way everything gets flushed.

drstressor
10-11-2005, 10:17 PM
That's the key. You have to let the engine run long enough for the thermostat to open in order to get a good flush. That takes at least 5 minutes. Often longer.

SuperDave
10-12-2005, 06:24 AM
Either my Yamaha has a giant bowl or burns little to no gas. It will run a good 5 minutes after I unhook the fuel line.

dandeuce
10-12-2005, 11:30 AM
My Yamaha 25hp 4-stroke runs 4-5 minutes after I unplug the fuel line . I have a hose / connector built into the motor that lets me flush the motor when the engine is not running although I have used that connection with the motor running also if I need to burn off the gas in the floatbowl .

Dan