PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 160 Fishfinder

Maz
10-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Just installed a brand new Garmin 160 fishfinder this past weekend. Took it out to Pardee on Sunday, for the first 10 minutes or so everything worked great, then it just blacked out. It was still getting power because when you pushed buttons it still beeped but the screen was just dead. I know I wired it properly, I ran it straight into my fuse box, one hot wire, and one ground. I think it is fried, It was very hot to the touch when it went out. Here is my problem, my wife bought this for me last year, (Garmin has a one year warranty) and it just took me this long to get it installed (already had one installed and didnt need another one until now). Of course we dont have any receipts either. Anybody have any good ideas, or tips on how to get this thing fixed.
Thanks...Maz

SturgeonVirgin
10-03-2005, 07:21 AM
About all I can think of is to plead your case to Garmin.
Call em, get a person live on the line and let em know the whole deal. A good company should work with you to make things right.

Maz
10-03-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the input Mr. T, Garmin is going to be the first place I start. Oh yeah of course the 160 model is discontinued too.
Maz

fence_man
10-03-2005, 02:00 PM
make the power connection . If you have a weak power wire or ground it will do the same thing .It will beep when you hit power button then shut down.

Maz
10-03-2005, 02:26 PM
I will check that, I have it run straight into a fuse box. I am thinking it is fried, when it went out it was very hot to the touch. I talked to the Garmin folks today, and I think they are going to take care of me, at least I hope so.
Maz

innovate
10-06-2005, 05:41 PM
I have the 120 and it works great - even allows me to track where my downriggers are. Hopefully you can get your 160 in order :(

Roland

Maz
10-11-2005, 02:37 PM
The good people at Garmin are going to take care of me :D
I could not find my receipt but they are still going to handle it as a warranty issue. It took a few phone calls, but persitance paid off and I am a satisfied customer.
Maz