PDA

View Full Version : Favorite River Boat?

shotgun
10-03-2005, 03:32 PM
I have a 16ft Lowe with a 25 hp prop. I got it because I didn't want to commit to a full blown river boat before I was sure I was hooked on the river. I like the boat and the economy of fishing for 4 hours on two hours of gas is GREAT. But I am pretty limited as to where I can go.

Well, I think I'm ready. So what's your favorite river/jet boat for say under 25K AND WHY. Above that, I think I'll just keep the prop boat and be limited as to where I can go.

fishkiller
10-04-2005, 03:59 AM
8)If your thinking of buying a river sled with an inboard jet 25k will get you a nice used one, even the v6 modeles start at 28-29k no options plus tax frieght prep a full blown river machine outfitted looking at 50k and up. 8)

tdekens
10-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Shotgun, I know you are a little further up than me as I live by Gray Lodge Wildlife area. Anyways I can show you my alumaweld I bought it used from a guy in Glenn. I am not hooked on Alumweld but checked out most all of the other brands. Alumaweld sells the most heavy guage aluminum boats on the market. My advice is this: 1) get one used, 2) buy it in oregon, 3) Whatever brand you get you will love it. Its just how safe you feel is all. Oregons prices seemed to be 20 percent cheaper than here. There is no sales tax so you can pay it when you get back here same as if you bought here. They will write you a second bill of sale for DMV to save a couple of bucks. Check out www.iboats.com and you can see some prices and whats out there. I can show you mine and tell you what I liked and didnt like about others. Check that high end aluminum boat post out if you havent yet.

2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

jethrobfsn
10-04-2005, 02:29 PM
2shakes, I am about to buy a 19' alumaweld stryker with a 115 salt merc prop drive and an extended 9.9 merc kicker. also will be getting 2 elec. downriggers, ff with gps, boat cover, livewell, trailer,swim platform with ladder welded on the boat and extended warranty. all of the above tax/ lic. and fees for 31,500. What do you think of the price? what do you think about your alumaweld? thanks.

tdekens
10-04-2005, 03:08 PM
I love my Alumaweld. I bought it used. Had about everything I wanted. It is a 94 but only had 200 hrs on the engine and 200 on the kicker. I now have 265 on the main and 402 on the kicker. Less than a year mind you. That is trolling and motoring which doesnt even include still bait fishing. It changed me and so did the $3 a gallon gas. :'( The price seems good to me. One thing I love about the boat is it had the TR1 www.nautamatic.com If you backtroll for salmon, troll for stripers or trout it is awesome. I end up fishing alot by myself for solitude and because the days I work. It is a really cool thing but I think its around 4 grand for it. I paid $22k for mine used. It saves room to have an outboard but I looked at the cost of them at around $15k. I figured at $4k for a new pumper then I dont even know what a new redline engine costs but hopefully its around $4k when it comes time for that. I just sent in a request to see how much one is so I will know when I see one. I looked at them new and for what I wanted they were about $50k. After I got through crying :'( The wife said just go ahead and get it. I said no and opted for one used. I had a deal worked out in Oregon but the boat got hit by a car on the way to get a tune up. :'( It was a 19 footer but it was only $18k They were asking in the low 20's so I made a lowball offer they took. The guy was desperate for money. I almost bought a center console and glad I didnt as well. 31.5 for a 19 footer loaded like that with tax/lic seems like a good price. One thing I wished I would have bought was the remote control minn kota autopilot. Alot of guys use that instead of the kicker for backtrolling. I have a motorguide that came with it. I will get it when I get the chance and bucks. The TR1 is awesome make sure you go to the site to check it out. The guy was actually thinking about taking out the inboard and modifying it for an outboard. :o I wouldnt even think of that but thats me. I love it and the 21 foot is an awesome roomy machine I dont get crowded up. We should just have a boatfest or something so people can see each others boats and get ideas for mods or whatever.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)
2Shakes

jethrobfsn
10-05-2005, 12:12 PM
:P2shakes, thanks for writing back. here is the sad part of my story. got a call from duckworth and they will match it with and added battery and charger unit. no swim platform or boat cover. they will put the fresh water 115hp Yamaha . they will up the motor to a 150 yamaha for 2k more. what to do? so much $ with so many options. who did i pick? ???

Brettskih
10-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Check out DesignConsepts in Chico. I love mine!

River_Runner
10-06-2005, 02:58 PM
I agree with Brettskih!!! Go check them out. ;D

MSzychulda
10-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Oh those Design Concepts are incredible! If I had the $$$$ I would get one. A friend has a 20 footer and it is a well thought out fishing machine! My buddy Ron has a Custom Weld, also a very nice and comfortable boat. Well until I become rich :) I am stuck with my 17 foot outboard jet.

River_Runner
10-10-2005, 12:04 PM
PENN321 You’re right they are nice boats. I have one and a few friends with them and they are really well designed and laid out. We fish out of Woodson during Salmon season and really enjoy the time on the water.

dandeuce
10-11-2005, 12:28 PM
shotgun ,

I have the same set up as you and don't understand why you are limited as to where you can go . Is it because the motor is propped and not a jet drive ? I see you live farther up the river than where I fish and I'll assume you can get into some skinny water . I also thought about getting a river sled , but even at entry level ($20,000) I decided I could not justify the cost , only use it a few times a year for salmon and maybe 6X for shad , not that I could not use it for everything else also .

Tight Lines , Dan

shotgun
10-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Yes its a prop. Its not practical to put a jet on a 25hp because the 40% loss wont let me get on plane quick enough. to put a 50 HP Jet costs about 9K and upgrading to a 17.5 ft with a 90 hp Jet is about 14K. At that level, may as well just pay the extra for a river sled. Can get a 18ft design concepts river runner (new) for about 28K.