PDA

View Full Version : Seps release clip problem

Empire
10-06-2005, 05:40 AM
I have and use several of the Seps downrigger clips, the kind that attach anywhere on the downrigger cable using a metal clip.

I have found that if I put too much bend in the rod, and the boat is going fast, the clips can slide up the downrigger cable.

Anyone else have the same problem, and if so how do you fix it?

Chetco_Indian
10-06-2005, 06:09 AM
A little line stop made of brass that is crimped on works great.If you are not able to find them give me an EM and I'l get a phone # for you they come in a pack 20/30 .These stops work with all the downriggers I have ever used.

fishnmike2002
10-06-2005, 06:56 AM
The other thing you can use is the little plastic beads that Scotty sells for the auto stop feature on thier electric downriggers. Just put a couple of them on your downrigger cable at the locations you set your clips and you are good to go.

FishnMike

Silver_Streak
10-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Thats just what I was going to suggest, Fishermike! Empire, my problem with Seps clips is that the clips self release at times (with no fish on). I now use another brand of clip. Now if I could only remember the name?????

somebody
10-06-2005, 08:18 AM
I use rubber core sinkers to stop the slide up and they seem to work fine. A split shot crimped onto the new downrigger non metalic line should work as aa weight stopper on scottys

Off_The_Hook
10-07-2005, 08:16 AM
I use the Scotty releases, with the metal clip that clips to the downrigger wire. As mentioned above, the little plastic Scotty auto stops placed on the wire just above your downrigger clip will solve the problem. Also, they are easy to move if you need to change your release placement on the wire. I'm not seeing them in the usual online places, but any place that sells Scotty will have them. They come in a package of 6 for about $5 I think.

Empire
10-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Thank you everyone for the responses. I had not even thought of putting something on the DR line, I was too busy trying to think of how to modify the metal clip itself.

I have some splitshot in the boat I will try out. It would be nice to get something more permanent, like the Scotty stops.

Back to FW for more goodies.

Vance Staplin
10-07-2005, 02:42 PM
HI Guys,

It is not necessary to install stops on the dr cable. *All you have to do is bend the clip farther in so it increases the grip when applied to the cable.

Worst case scenerio is just ad some heat shrink tubing over the clip and heat it down.

Hope this helps

Vance

fishnmike2002
10-11-2005, 06:38 AM
Once again, the Man (Vance) makes this all too easy for us. Thanks bud.

FishnMike

fishguts
10-11-2005, 01:37 PM
He didn't say it for obvious reasons, but I will, I've played with all the different releases while learing this year how to use my DR out there and found that Va...'. seem to the work the best, for me anyway.

Maz
10-11-2005, 01:41 PM
I just picked up two of Vance's stacker releases. With all of the good advice he gives around here, I am betting on a good product.
Maz