PDA

View Full Version : Depth Finders - Sonar ?

dandeuce
10-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Was just over at the Inland Salmon/ Steelhead Board and a fellow was asking about depth finders scaring fish , everyone said this was nonsense . I'm not so sure this is correct , let me tell of an experience I had lately . I was getting a inaccurate reading on my FF so I reached over to check the transducer to make sure it was clean . WHAMMO !!! Just like grabbing onto a sparkplug wire , granted I had a slight cut on my finger making the signal more intensive . Got my hand off that sucker very quickly . Seems to me a fish's lateral line should be able to pick this up easily .

Any ideas ? Am I off base in my thoughts , any thoughts on maybe my transducer being either cracked or defective ?

Thanks , Dan

somebody
10-08-2005, 06:49 AM
they say .6 to .65 volts on a downriier wire will attract trout. that is from .4 to .65. more than that will chase fish away. read articles from dick pool and cannon or scotty downriggers. hang a bare wire over the side with a weight on it down about 10 feet and not touching any metal, now take a volt meter with the negative to the negative on your battery or engine and the positive lead to the wire. set your volt reading to 20 volts d.c. hope this answers your questions.

fishkiller
10-08-2005, 08:45 AM
8)You should not of been shocked by the transducer, I have moved them before in the water and never been shocked.You might have a direct short or pinhole in your transducer and is letting water in, thus causing your erratic or false readings. 8)

Erreck
10-08-2005, 08:51 AM
8)You should not of been shocked by the transducer, I have moved them before in the water and never been shocked.You might have a direct short or pinhole in your transducer and is letting water in, thus causing your erratic *or false readings. 8)

That's exactly what I was thinking... It sounds like a dead short.

dandeuce
10-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Thanks for your replies , been thinking the transducer might be on the way out . Also been getting some 600' readings in water known to be under 100' deep , plus never has functioned in salt water the way it does in freshwater . Its a couple year old Hummingbird 100SX ( junk ? ) , what would be best to replace it in the under $400 range ?

Dan

fishkiller
10-08-2005, 07:28 PM
8)lowrance ;D