PDA

View Full Version : How Can i Slow the boat down?

Trout_Terminator
09-30-2005, 04:20 PM
Well, i was wondering if i could could slow a 15.6' Gregor with a 35hp motor down with out a trolling plate? is it possible? i heard you could throw out some buckets and it could slow it down. well, we tried that at amador, and it didint work. what could i do to slow the boat down to fish for some trout? any suggestions are very helpful.

Mickey_Thomas
09-30-2005, 04:55 PM
I'd say to turn down the idle on the carburetor, but I bet you knew that ::) It should idle around 800-900 rpm's and for most boats that's slow enough to troll for trout. I guess my question is why is your boat going so fast?

Trout_Terminator
09-30-2005, 05:40 PM
??? ??? ??? all of that kinda flew right over my head... but i will explain it to my dad, he will understand it. but i have no clue why its going so darn fast, i meen, we went on amador with it, and this thing was scootin pretty fast. owell, i guess i will try that, thanks for the help mickey.

FishMischief
09-30-2005, 08:01 PM
If your using rapalas your probably not going too fast. If the bucket didn't slow you down try a bigger bucket.

Trout_Terminator
09-30-2005, 08:06 PM
lol... mabey if i put 1 hole in the bucket, an added like 3 buckets... would that help at all? ow would it just be a waiste of buckets? ???

FishMischief
09-30-2005, 08:46 PM
Bigger bucket and you may need two if ya wanna slow enough for kokanee. For trout one big bucket does it on my Johnson 48.

johnbfishin
09-30-2005, 08:48 PM
I don't know if your boat has handles in the back or not.
On my 14' Gregor I made a couple of boards that would hang on lags screws in the handles and went 2'-3' into the water depending on the speed I wanted. Worked great and nothing dragging behind the boat.

fenton_chris
09-30-2005, 09:33 PM
i have a 17ft crusier with a merc 140hp how big a bucket i need? slowest it goes is 3mph.

Trout_Terminator
09-30-2005, 09:37 PM
I don't know if your boat has handles in the back or not.
On my 14' Gregor I made a couple of boards that would hang on lags screws in the handles and went 2'-3' into the water depending on the speed I wanted. Worked great and nothing dragging behind the boat.
so you basicaly put boards there to slow it down, hmmm, i will gt to you on that one, thanks for the advise.

sellhomes2fish
10-02-2005, 10:19 PM
A bucket or two should do the trick. Did you drill a series of 1/2" holes in the bucket? You could also try a drift sock/sea anchor.

basil
10-03-2005, 11:51 AM
A bucket or two should do the trick. Did you drill a series of 1/2" holes in the bucket? You could also try a drift sock/sea anchor.

Drilling holes doesn't do anything but let more water through and that means less drag, so you go faster. It all comes down to how much area the bucket has facing in the drag direction. You could make the bucket deeped but that wouldn't change resistence I bit.

If you could get a flat board to drag and not flip around that had the same area as your bucket the drag would be the same.

It take a lot of drag to slow a boat. For drifting in the ocean a 20 foot boat needs about a 10 foot chute to slow them in a decent wind.

Do you have a second prop for the motor? A two bladed prop with not much pitch would be slower. The trick is to find a prop that depowers you for trolling that doesn't cripple the performance of your boat when you want to haul out on a plane.