PDA

View Full Version : Marine grade wire! Is it worth the price?

Klamdog
10-01-2005, 06:35 PM
I've been meaning to ask this question. Is there really any difference between a marine grade wire (one you would purchase from any boating supplier), or something that you would purchase from any home improvement place? The price sure is different! What do you think? Thanks!

Off_The_Hook
10-01-2005, 07:57 PM
I really don't know if there is a difference or not. I have used both, and couldn't tell you the difference. With either wire, if you do a good quality wiring job, with good connectors, soldering, heat shrink, conduit, etc, you will have no problems. I'd just use the automotive stuff.

drstressor
10-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Marine grade wire uses tinned copper to resist corrosion and electrolysis. It also has at least twice as many strands as standard wire for any given gauge. This makes it more resistant to vibration and fatigue. The insulator material is also spec'ed to be resistant to gasoline, battery acid, etc. You can get away with standard automotive wiring on a boat that will never see salt water. But you get what you pay for.

Off_The_Hook
10-01-2005, 09:08 PM
That's good info. I learn something every day.

Chetco_Indian
10-02-2005, 07:31 AM
Just to add to doc's report marine grade wire also has much more nickle than reg wire.I would say the price is worth every penny.The coast guard is a long wait at times and it's real hard to paddle up river.

ratss427
10-02-2005, 05:52 PM
i agree with the guys.the exra strands.and the treating the copper gets it worth the extra cost on its own.but imho,what is as ,or more important,is the coating.short term they are equal.but over time the higher quality jacketing will stay supple and outlast the cheaper wire. in the long run,the more expensive wire today will prove to be a bargain tomorrow. ;)