PDA

View Full Version : prop question

kstone44
09-23-2005, 01:56 AM
Ok I have a question, its late and I haven't had to cut a gear or figure one out in years so here is the problem, I have a prop I use to run on my (close your ears Mickey ) Bass boat. Its a Spanelli prop and was way under proped for the boat I could yank two skiers with the boat still loaded with people. I think its in the 19" range. I eventually spun the prop and am thinking of getting it
rehubbed. But I would rather have an idea what the pitch is before I have it done. The prop shop is not close by and I don't want to waste the trip. I know with all the brains on these boards I should get quick response. I assume it will involve the angle of the blades and the diameter but??????

drstressor
09-23-2005, 07:22 AM
Propeller repair shops use a jig that is known as a pitchometer to measure pitch. These are not generally available in stores. ;D

I don't know of a way to measure pitch easily (you stumped the Doc :-[). But I found this PDF on the web:

http://www.soinc.org/events/wrightstuff/harlan/pitchgage.pdf

It's for model airplane propellers so I don't know if it would be useful.

Fishmeister
09-26-2005, 12:28 PM
Most props have the pitch stamped on them with the diameter. Such as 14 1/2 X 19 with 14 1/2 being the diameter and 19 being the pitch. Usually on the hub.

kstone44
09-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the reply Fishmeister but that would have been easy ,this is a custom prop that has nothing on it and the manufacturer is out of buisiness.It does have a serial # but nothing even close to anything resembleing a standerd # that I can desipher

Mickey_Thomas
09-30-2005, 06:30 AM
Kevin, make the drive to the prop store, or just buy the prop you want ;) stumping the Doc isn't easy ::) so I give you "props" for that ;D ;D

fish4fun
10-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Kevin, You might consider mailing the prop to a place like Phils Propellor in Redding or to another prop shop. It might be cheaper than driving given the price of gas nowadays.. Larry

fishkiller
10-02-2005, 09:09 AM
8)Kevin if Im not mistaken on the mercury site in props they explain all about props and pitch and degrees. I am not a fan of rehubing a prop cause most shops do not warranty them.But a custom prop is hard to come by. On the merc site they also have a place as a prop selector for engines and application check it out good info and good place to start. 8)