PDA

View Full Version : transom saver for a 200 lbs motor?

sokoo
09-28-2005, 08:35 AM
I have the 40 HP Honda (weighing 200 lbs) and the dealer plus the motor manual suggest using a transom saver to support it, supposably for the hydrolic system of the motor. Of course for the manufacturer and dealer it's never wrong to recommend something on the safe side, but I have also heard a professional saying a motor like this doesn't need transom saver, plus, it's just extra trouble attaching and dettaching the saver every time. I would appreciate some opinions on this from you experienced boaters. Thanks.

fresnofshfan
09-28-2005, 10:37 AM
When I bought my used Gregor it had two small cracks starting to grow. I track the cracks with a pen and since I added the transom saver they have not travelled. I have a manual tilt and I think it keeps the stress off the transom.

FFF

sellhomes2fish
09-28-2005, 10:54 AM
I have a 70hp on the back of my 17' Westcoaster aluminum and it makes me feel better that I use a transom saver. I think it does help support the hydraulics by taking some of the stress off. I also have a 5hp kicker attached directly to the transom so I thought it would be a good idea to support the weight load. It takes about an extra minute or two to connect and disconnect the transom saver. So far so good.

fishnmike2002
09-28-2005, 11:28 AM
As Fresno said, it helps the transome. Unsupported weight on the transome while traveling with the motor up will do what is called "oil can" the transome. If you remember the old type oil cans you can remember pushing the oil spout down into the can. If you did it wrong it would bend the edge of the can. You can do the same thing to your transome.

FishnMike

Oxbow
09-28-2005, 12:52 PM
sokoo, I have a 50 hp Honda on my 15' Gregor which is the same engine as your 40 hp. I junked the transom saver that the factory sent and purchased a "Swivel-eze" unit from Cabela's, get the one with the four pads rather than the one with the rubber "V" groove, and I'm very happy with it. It takes less than 30 seconds to remove and replace and is spring loaded to save the hydraulics. Works great! Good Luck.

survivor
09-29-2005, 02:06 PM
;DDon't leave home without it. Every bump and rut puts additional stress on your transom which could lead to transom cracks. If you have a small motor, the transom savers at Wallyworld at $20.00 would do just fine for you size motor. Just my 2 cents.
Paul aka Survivor ;D ;D

sokoo
09-29-2005, 02:48 PM
Looks like I should buy one for the motor, so far no voice on the opposite side. Thanks guys.

Klamdog
09-29-2005, 07:24 PM
I have a 40 HP merc. 4-stroke on my 15' Klamath. It weighs a little over 200#'s, and I won't go anywhere without my transome saver! *It makes me feel so much better when I hit those rough spots in the road, and that motor just sits there, and for around $40, it's certainly not going to hurt anything, it's only going to help! *