PDA

View Full Version : Kicker: Wobble=Bent Shaft or Drive Shaft?

tdekens
09-26-2005, 08:57 PM
My outboard is wobbling. 98 yamaha 9.9 high output. I bought it used and it did have a ding in the prop at that time. Also I did whack the prop against my boat trailer when I was turning at the ramp. Its the kicker motor on my boat. I took the prop off and "relatively" beat it back into shape. I want to diagnose the wobble. Do I buy a new prop anyways to see if that changes anything? If it doesnt work I will use the old one as a spare. Then I know I have to replace the shaft as well. Both would run about 110 shaft and 90 prop. Can I pull the shaft and run a straight edge on it or ???? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

SuperDave
09-27-2005, 06:25 AM
Does it wobble while running without the prop on it? Here in Sac, there are a couple places that will re-true a bent prop, just another option to buying a new one.

drstressor
09-27-2005, 06:54 AM
Could you explain exactly what you mean by "wobble"? A bent prop causes vibration and changes the sound of the engine while running. But it doesn't result in anything that I would describe as a wobble. Wobble sounds like $$. :(

tdekens
09-27-2005, 07:53 AM
My definition of a wobble in this case it....
There is a vibration and the motor (can I use another high tech word here) jiggles about a half inch left and right. Now that I think of it maybe the TR1 hydraulics are actually dampering more of the "wobble". I think I am gonna replace the prop then if its still happening I will replace the shaft? I had found a company online that was deleting all of its yamaha stock and selling it for half price but have lost the website :'( Think this is a good plan?
2Shakes ;D ;D :o

PS Doc you need to go straighten out the Lamprey post.

Chetco_Indian
09-27-2005, 08:33 AM
2Shake talk to your buds and see if anyone has a micrometer.If you find someone have him/her check your shaft for run out.My money would be on a bad prop.

SuperDave
09-27-2005, 08:44 AM
Put the ear muffs and the garden hose on it and run it without the prop. I think the prop is out of balance but this test should confirm it without spending any money first.

tdekens
09-27-2005, 09:01 AM
Hinrid, Good point thank you I will try that. I love these boards :-*
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

huggyspot
09-27-2005, 03:56 PM
I think hinrid has a good idea theres a prop shop on oravill that does good work did mine for 45.00 look and worked great

drstressor
09-27-2005, 04:17 PM
I've bent props so badly that they wouldn't plane the boat and never had a "wobble". If the engine is in fact running OK and not missing on one cylinder, I would guess that you have a bent drive shaft, not the propeller or propeller shaft.

tdekens
09-29-2005, 12:40 PM
I am gonna pull it and put a straight edge on it. I have dropped the lower end 20 times messing with the impeller and stuff anyways. Thanks and i will post what I come up with. I have to make time to do it now cause one of my buttons on the remote control is bad so I cant use it anyways.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)