PDA

View Full Version : What side of bow to mount trolling motor?

Klamdog
09-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Just a thought! I was starting to mount my new power guide, and I was wondering... Is there a right, and wrong side of the bow for your motor to go into the water? Or is it personal preference? It seems like most guys have it going in the right (drivers side) of the bow? Thanks!

sellhomes2fish
09-28-2005, 04:21 PM
That's a good question. Mine is mounted on the port side, meaning the motor when deplyed is on the starboard sie and most boats that I've seen are mounted on that side too. I believe they can be mounted on either side and might depend on if there are any obstacles that might be in the way.

FF_MYRL
09-28-2005, 07:19 PM
also decide what foot you are more comfortable to control it with and the angle the controller will set(with the cables).

fish4fun
09-28-2005, 08:06 PM
You might also want to think about how a front fishfinder would fit in with the bowmount electric motor. Quite often a fishfinder and trolling motor have to share the space together.. Larry

survivor
09-28-2005, 08:37 PM
:)I generally see them mounted on the port side. Now, I operate the trolling motor with my left foot and I fish on the starboard side of the boat normally. You want to mount your trolling motor as near to center as you can and still have enought room on the bow to either mount your depth finder or to have a step to get off your boat with. Either side make sure you feel confortable with it, I hate drilling holes in my boat, so check and check again. Also a work of caution, make sure when you come in to the dock, to make sure your trolling motor is off or unplugged, a friend of mine almost took his finger off accidentally hitting his foot control. Just my 2 cents,
Paul aka Survivor :)

Brettskih
09-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Portside away from cockpit

SuperDave
09-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Also a work of caution, make sure when you come in to the dock, to make sure your trolling motor is off or unplugged, a friend of mine almost took his finger off accidentally hitting his foot control. *Just my 2 cents,
Paul aka Survivor :)

I'd like to meet your friend, we could compare scars!