PDA

View Full Version : Need info on rebuilding trailer bunks

norcalfishslayer
09-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Last time out, I actually lost one when I launched and didn't realize it. Luckely, it had washed ashore and I was able to attach it good enough to get me home.

But alass, it is time to rebuild them. They are now 2x4's with carpet on them, which is what I'm gonna replace them with (easy!) My basic question s what wood should I use? I thought I might use redwood as it fairs better with water over time, but it's not very strong. Though, I don't know if it really needs to be that strong for what it's job is. Pressure treated would be ideal, but don' think I want to be sticking that treated wood in the lake everytime the trailer hits the water (arsanic, you know). Or I can just doug fir and put a couple of coats of marine polyurathane on it, but when I nail or staple into it, I compramise the sealing of the wood.

What do you guys do? Also, I have heard of the plastic sliders that go on top of the bunks that make it easier to load the boar on the trailer. The ones I looked at in West Marine said the were for aluminum boats up to 3500 lbs., and fiberglass boats up to 1500 lbs. I have a glass boat, and it weighs 2200 lbs. Are there any made that would work for me? Or are they really more made for aluminum boats? Any help would be appreciated! :D

Thenk... Frank

Set_The_Hook
09-22-2005, 09:58 PM
Frank,
I remember seeing something about the nylon? slides or silks in both cabelas and overtons. I am thinking about a set of them myself.
Bill

Durb
09-22-2005, 10:58 PM
The last bunks I did I used pressure treated wood. The new chemical they use on the PT wood is not so bad for the environment. *Probably not as rot resistant either. They should still last 5+ years. *Galvanized large head roofing nails or galvanized staples to secure carpet. I left the carpet off the bottom of the bunk so water could drain off carpet and off the wood faster. May help I don't know. Made sense to me. *I remember seeing a post a while back about a trailer supply in sac that had very strong plastic bunks. Might try a search. Cabelas sells the plastic pieces for the top of the bunks for eaiser sliding. *

Good luck

SuperDave
09-23-2005, 06:42 AM
How long are your bunks and what is distance between points of support? My trailer has trex deck material for bunks. No rot or carpet to wear out. If your bunks have a long span, unsupported, trex would need to be supported with a thin piece of metal.

LKTROR
09-23-2005, 08:21 AM
Alumaweld boats, I think, use recycled plastic on there trailers. I bought the two 2"X6"X8'pieces for $85.00. They will last forever. Couterbore the bolts from the top and the screws won't fall out the bottom.

Set_The_Hook
09-23-2005, 09:14 AM
Hinrid,
Great Idea on the Trex. I'm going to do that to my trailer.
Thanks

tdekens
09-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Hinrid, I never thought of that either. But if I was going for wood it would be redwood. If you were that worried about it rotting you could always tar it with that below ground stuff you put on fence poles below the dirt. I imagine even a galvinized trailer would fall apart before that. My problem is cutting the carpet attached to it. My strakes are really sharp and slice the heck out of it. I think I might give the TREX a shot. I used to live near where they build that stuff in Fernley, NV. Great idea.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

norcalfishslayer
09-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I think the trex would be great, but not nearly strong enough. Proabably will just go with redwood.

frank

tdekens
09-23-2005, 06:08 PM
norcal, how about inch thick trex glued and screwed onto inch thick redwood. trex on boat side/redwood on looks side. would support and last. ;) screw that too much work stick with redwood 2x4's. My wood buddy says make sure there is no white in it. The more red the longer it will last. Tell us how it goes.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

norcalfishslayer
09-23-2005, 06:28 PM
norcal, how about inch thick trex glued and screwed onto inch thick redwood. trex on boat side/redwood on looks side. would support and last. ;) screw that too much work stick with redwood 2x4's. My wood buddy says make sure there is no white in it. The more red the longer it will last. Tell us how it goes.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

Yeah, WAY too much work! I'll let you guys know when I get it done. Gonna try to hit the water tomorrow at Shasta. The dang North wind is blowing tonight. I hope it stops before morning! >:(

River_Runner
09-23-2005, 07:24 PM
I would contact DHM trailers here in Sacramento. I have a gray colored solid plastic material on my DHM trailer. They could probably sell you what you need.

norcalfishslayer
09-23-2005, 07:46 PM
I would contact DHM trailers here in Sacramento. I have a gray colored solid plastic material on my DHM trailer. They could probably sell you what you need.

River Runner, is your boat a fibreglass boat? With a name like River Runner, I would guess you have an aluminum rig! ;D

Some of those plastics I hear aren't recomended for glass boats. I guess I could give them a call and ask. Have a number for them? Thanks for the info...