PDA

View Full Version : Who uses a prop guard on their outboard?

fishalot
09-19-2005, 09:45 PM
I have a 81 15hp evenrude on my small aluminum. I was thinking of installing a propguard for protection while on the Sac. River Does anyone have one and how does it effect your outboard?

drstressor
09-19-2005, 09:51 PM
I have one on my 8 hp trolling motor. It is primarily to keep the downrigger wires out of the prop. But I use the kicker to maneuver close to shore and I've found that it protects the propeller from rocks very well. They slow the boat down but they don't hurt the engine in any way.

metalmouth
09-20-2005, 07:26 AM
Doc, I wouldn't mind slowing my kicker down a notch, anyway. I've been thinking about going to a smaller prop, to that end. Perhaps I could kill 2 birds with one stone. Are they generic or is your prop guard brand specific.

drstressor
09-20-2005, 09:09 AM
They are generic. Each model tells you which engine type that they will fit. Everybody in Canada uses these things for downrigger fishing. I've never figured out why they haven't caught on around here. They even help to keep fish from wrapping the line on the prop during the fight.

Mickey has one on his boat. ;D

SuperDave
09-20-2005, 11:58 AM
The darn things cost about as much as a prop. What's up with that? Having cut a downrigger cable off last year in extremely rough water, I like it for that aspect alone, just wishing it was about 1/2 the cost.

shotgun
09-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Be carefull!!!. I bought a "river runner" which is basically a piece of metal that bolts onto the skagg and then sticks out behind the prop (can you tell I am not a mechanic!). It worked great on snags. But at Woodson, I got low on the gravel. the boat went backwards a bit and the pressure broke the skag. cost $200 to replace. So I bought a stainless steel prop for $270 and am hoping for the best.
\

Set_The_Hook
09-21-2005, 06:32 PM
fishalot,
I am looking into one I found online for my 15 hp. It looks pretty good. Just gotta find out from the Mrs. if I really want it or not. ;) http://www.propguard.net/ From the claims on the website I may have to add a decent trolling plate though.
STH

fishalot
09-21-2005, 07:25 PM
The mechanic that services my motor says he takes them off. The guarde will eat some of the performance of my 15hp. I was told only to put one on if I was fishing around large rocks or under water trees.

fishalot
09-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Hey shotgun I fish Woodson Bridge too. When the water goes down at the end of summer those gravel bars emerge, I have grounded on them. Do you have a small outboard? I would like a stainless prop for my 15hp. Is there much improvement on performance?

SuperDave
09-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Stainless steel prop is ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY THE WRONG MOVE in the face of obstacles and rocks. SS props are brittle and unforgiving. With small outboards there just isn't enough power to get power gain for the money.

fishalot
09-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Thankyou for the info. I thought they where tougher and cut through the water better. A eye opener :o for me thanks!

drstressor
09-21-2005, 11:00 PM
Hinrid is right. If you hit a rock with a stainless prop the impact is transmitted to the gears in the lower unit. Replacing a prop is cheaper than replacing a lower unit. You may want to look into the new composite props with replaceable blades.

Go with a prop guard. Sure you will lose some top end speed. But if you're running a river, that's a good trade off for increased prop protection.

Silver_Streak
09-22-2005, 10:30 AM
I run a prop guard on my Merc 9.9 kicker. It's great like the Doc said for protecting downrigger wires from the prop and also rocks. I found a good quality prop guard made from stainless steel. After doing some research on them, I found that there are a lot of cheaply made ones out there. The brand that I went with is from Adventure Marine. Their web site is www.adventuremarine.net. Hope this helps. ;)