PDA

View Full Version : Question for guys running Scotty manual downrigger

norcalfishslayer
09-17-2005, 09:02 AM
Just got a couple and had them out a few times. What is the best way to lower them? I have been using the clutch, but having to "palm" the downrigger spool to keep it from going to fast and tripping my release, or giving me a wild backlash on my reel. It doesn't seem like the clutch has enough adjustment, or is fine enough to just do it with the clutch. Do my clutches need to be adjusted? The "palming" deal isn't my favorite, as my hand gets hot from the friction. :o

Thanks..

frank

fishkiller
09-17-2005, 10:35 AM
8)they are useally done with 2 hands but most use 1 after awhile.Hold handle pull clutch brake handle back turn crank handle to lower. If you are palming , and the releases pop you are dropping to fast, or your drag on the reel is to tight. When you are lowering the downrigger weight your pole should not have a sharp bend to it , it should be very little bend, then when at depth adjust your drag reel to desired tension . Most people new tend to put to much tension on the line causing pop off.Never put your reel in free spool, leave in gear and loosen drag.Keep working on it dont get discouraged you will be a pro in know time. ;D

norcalfishslayer
09-17-2005, 10:48 AM
8)they are useally done with 2 hands but most use 1 after awhile.Hold handle pull clutch brake handle back turn crank handle to lower. If you are palming , and the releases pop you are dropping to fast, or your drag on the reel is to tight. When you are lowering the downrigger weight your pole should not have a sharp bend to it , it should be very little bend, then when at depth adjust your drag reel to desired tension . Most people new tend to put to much tension on the line causing pop off.Never put your reel in free spool, leave in gear and loosen drag.Keep working on it dont get discouraged you will be a pro in know time. ;D

T hanks Fishkiller. That is basically how I hve been doing it, wi one hand on the crank. It would be nice if I could adjust the brake so I could just use it and not have to also use the crank to lower it. Do you know if that is possible?

Empire
09-17-2005, 01:56 PM
I use Scotty manuals.

I set the clutch/brake very loose, then use the handle to crank the weight down. One hand on the reel, one hand on the handle.

Very fast and very easy.

FishMischief
09-17-2005, 02:15 PM
I put my reel in freespool with the clicker set. This seems to be enough drag where I dont get any backlash yet not enough drag to pop the clip. I put the pole in the holder and then attach the line to the clip. Now I have two hands free to work the rigger. 1 hand in the handle to control the decent and the other on the clutch. Using the clicker setting allows me to keep my drag set so when I take up the slack the drag clicks in before it pops the clip with also seems to be good for fighting fish.

gfishes
09-18-2005, 08:48 PM
If you are just learning to use the downrigger, I would suggest that you use a Shuttle Hawk...that way if your line releases, you won't have to raise the rigger,..the Shuttle Hawk will rise to the top...just re position your line in the clip and the Shuttle Hawk will send it down again. The problem I had with my Scotty manuals was that I tried to let the weight down too fast...take your time and you should get used to the speed of desent...you should not have to use two hands to lower any downrigger.

norcalfishslayer
09-18-2005, 09:12 PM
If you are just learning to use the downrigger, I would suggest that you use a Shuttle Hawk...that way if your line releases, you won't have to raise the rigger,..the Shuttle Hawk will rise to the top...just re position your line in the clip and the Shuttle Hawk will send it down again. The problem I had with my Scotty manuals was that I tried to let the weight down too fast...take your time and you should get used to the speed of desent...you should not have to use two hands to lower any downrigger.

I just got a shuttle hawk and will try it next time out. I also adjusted the clutch on both of the downriggers and will see how they reform when I get on the water. My only concern is that I may have too tight and they may not slip in a hangup situation. I'll watch closely.

Vance Staplin
09-19-2005, 12:25 PM
I use a reel with a clicker to prevent back lashes. As far as the descend it only takes one hand. Just put your thumb in the spool and apply presser down when you pull the release handle. Keep your wrist low to miss the spinning handle. After a few trips you won't even think about it anymore.

Vance

FishMischief
09-19-2005, 12:46 PM
Call me a whimp but after getting my wrist knocked a few times and my thumb buned I'll use two hand with the pole in the holder.

FreshwaterFrank
09-19-2005, 01:17 PM
Familiarity breeds contempt. Also, pride goes before the fall.

On a good day, I set the rod in the holder, clicker on...and use the red clutch lever to zip down to whatever depth. Backlash is not a problem doing it this way...for me. Knowing your release & having confidence it won't cut loose is important, experience is the best teacher here. Fishing solo is a factor, idiot fishing buddies can really screw the pooch if they aren't well trained.

norcalfishslayer
09-19-2005, 08:21 PM
I use a reel with a clicker to prevent back lashes. As far as the descend it only takes one hand. Just put your thumb in the spool and apply presser down when you pull the release handle. Keep your wrist low to miss the spinning handle. After a few trips you won't even think about it anymore.

Vance

Hey Vance. I thried the thumb thing. That is how I origionally did it. But sometime the friction is just too much, and too much heat builds up.

I did re-adjust my brakes and will try them next time out. Thanks for the tip...

frank

Big_D
09-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Nor Cal

I use the same method as Vance. If your burning your thumb just use a combination of constant adjusting of the clutch handle and your thumb to smooth out the descent. After the first 6 or 8 trips you get a pretty good callous built up or you burn all the skin off your thumb! Either way if the fishing's good you won't care ;D

Big D

norcalfishslayer
09-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Nor Cal

I use the same method as Vance. If your burning your thumb just use a combination of constant adjusting of the clutch handle and your thumb to smooth out the descent. After the first 6 or 8 trips you get a pretty good callous built up or you burn all the skin off your thumb! Either way if the fishing's good you won't care ;D

Big D

:D Got that right!

dandeuce
09-21-2005, 09:44 PM
I use the same technique as Vance , works the best I've seen so far . If your getting a burnt thumb , stick it ( thumb )in the water and slow down your decent a little . The water cools off the thumb and also acts as a lubricant .

Dan