PDA

View Full Version : Custom canvas shops in Sac area

wishn2Bfishn
09-13-2005, 03:33 PM
I want to upgrade my mooring/convertable cover on my boat to be able to stand underneath it in bad weather with zip in plastic windows from the windshield and sides to a bimini top that extends most of the way aft. The back would be a zipper access for fishing. I have seen these on Tracker and other fishing boats.

Any comments +/- on how they work? I fish most of the time, but do plenty of tubing and baording in the summer.

Any recommendations on a shop? I was referred to one near Eureka/I80 in Roseville who said they can do it.

My boat is a 1993 19'3" x 8' beam open bow DC Seaswirl striper outboard.

thanks for your insights.

SuperDave
09-13-2005, 06:33 PM
From a thread I posted a few months ago:

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?board=boats_motors;action=display;num=1116 528869;start=5#5

wishn2Bfishn
09-20-2005, 10:49 AM
My mom would be ashamed - I forgot to say thank you for the help. THANKS.
Any thoughts or +/- of this type of setup?

regards and thanks again,

SuperDave
09-20-2005, 11:04 AM
I think you better be sitting down when you get the estimate. It will likely make you think about buying a new boat that already has this feature. I wouldn't be shocked to hear this will cost you $1,500 to $2,000.

wishn2Bfishn
09-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Yep - the first "rough" estimate came in at 14+ change. Lot's of change. I can forego replacing the mooring cover and go with just a regular boat cover, but I still need a bimini for shade. Even my wife now recognizes that if "it" is for a boat, "it" cost $$$. I want to get a few estimates, then decide if its money well spent.
I'll take some smelling salt with me as I check around. Thanks

SuperDave
09-20-2005, 11:49 AM
You'll find straight shade bimini tops pretty affordable in Cabela's. Something custom with zipper sides and you'll be back at your previous number.

FF_MYRL
09-20-2005, 06:10 PM
CALL BIMINI ISLE IN TRACY, CA. I HADTWO SIDES AND A THREE PIECE BACK MADE FOR MY BOAT FOR UNDER $500.00. AND THEY WERE FAST. THE DRIVE MAY SAVE YOU SOME MONEY. WITH MY BOAT I DROPPED IT OFF ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND PICKED IT UP ON MONDAY MORN.

Dennis
09-20-2005, 06:25 PM
For what it's worth... A design consideration

Take a look at the tops on the North River Sea Kings. They have zip open panels on the front that let in a lot of air. The panels practically convert the top into a Bimini. I think it's a good design as it's probably a lot cooler in the summer months.

I know what you mean about standing underneath it. I have a Lund and my head just touches the top when I'm standing and I'm only 5'8". When/if the canvas gets old I'll probably have it modified to be a bit taller.

Good luck!

wishn2Bfishn
09-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the recommendations. I took some pictures of top I liked at Auborn Outboad Marine. I think they were on the crestliners. I'll lookup North River. Do you know who carries them locally?

Thanks again