PDA

View Full Version : metal cable on rigger get  rid of it?

fenton_chris
09-06-2005, 02:00 PM
i was told to get rid of the metal cable. this saves money having to buy a black box. and to use heavy fishing line or small rope. no more ele pulse. true or not?

Vance Staplin
09-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Hi fenton_Chris

The answer is true, the braided spectra lines will eliminate the voltage possabilities. *But, be careful with the spectra lines. *You WILL lose downrigger balls and gear. *

The spectra will not handle the shock of dropping the weight even small distances without breaking and it cuts pretty easily also.

Another advantage to the spectra is that the is no hum and less blow back with lighter weights.

I found Power Pro to be the best.

Vance

fish4fun
09-06-2005, 08:13 PM
I think an advantage to having metal downrigger wires is that you CAN use a black box to attract fish. I used to own a fiberglass boat and my current one is an aluminum boat. The "natural" voltage of either of these boats was not in the ideal range to attract fish. Having metal downrigger cables allowed me to tune the voltage into a fish attracting range with a black box. Based on these two boats, it doesn't seem that the "natural" voltage of many boats is going to be optimal.. Larry

kstone44
09-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Vance what weight line are you using for your cable. Have you had problems with the releases that pinch on the cable damaging to power pro line? I have looked at doing this for awhile now, with the advantages of being able to use lighter weight DR ball, due to the Diamter of the power pro line not causing all the drag. Without using the black box are you just running your lines just back a little ways further?

Set_The_Hook
09-15-2005, 02:52 PM
I know very little about the voltage output and all that but I bought some braided line from Cabelas and couldn't be happier. My aluminum boat no longer hums and the rigger balls appear to drag less in the water. I forget the name of the stuff but I have used it for the past 2 years and it is working great. Only problem was I had to add new line counters to my sport troll riggers. The one on the boom head wouldn't work with the braided line.
STH

freon
09-15-2005, 08:20 PM
I have been testing with braided on one of my riggers for over awhile now. So far a buddy lost one weight on the ss line at pyramid, but I still havent lost any weights on the braided and it does drag less and less noise, thanks again chick and brian.
Freon

fishguts
09-16-2005, 04:07 AM
I am certainly no expert on this subject but I am using the cable and have caught plenty of fish without the black box and next to folks who appear to be using them. I guess its a matter of deciding to stop spending a million dollars everytime for the latest gadget. My DR weights are coated so that may be making a difference in electrical current transfer.
I like the hum of the downrigger and it helps me know sooner that there is a fish on or that something is wrong when the tone changes. I don't think its that loud.
I just thought it would be good to have an alternate opinion on the subject.
I do value Vance's opinion with high regard so its nice to see he chimed in.

Empire
09-16-2005, 05:24 AM
Has anyone called Scotty or Canon to see if the warranty is voided by using something other than SS cable?

fenton_chris
09-16-2005, 09:08 AM
im not sure im gunna do it. i was just wondering.

Trout_Terminator
09-17-2005, 10:41 PM
speeking if DR's, what type of scotty should i get, and where is the cheepest i can buy it at?

Set_The_Hook
09-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Trout,
Check the sniffer classifieds. I saw some posted there the other day. Some looked like really good deals.
STH

fishguts
09-18-2005, 03:50 PM
I would go to e-bay and see whats there.

kstone44
09-19-2005, 10:51 PM
According to the email I received from Scottys it voids their warranty.I had asked about using the power -pro line and they said it was their policy that only the stainless steel cable be used. He mentioned the stretch in the line closing up and damaging the spool.Even though I had mentioned *that it has zero stretch( as advertised). This could be one of those polices that was put in when people tried mono ect.... Perhaps *now with all these zero-stretch lines availible this to might change when they put out there own line with their name on it. Then it will be OK

Vance Staplin
09-20-2005, 07:56 AM
HI Guy's

I haven't looked back on this thread. So I missed your question. I have gone back to cable because the Power Pro caused too many questions at the show's.

When I was using the braids I added the line to the end of the steel cable so the line wouldn't make contact with the spool and would allow the counter to be accurate. Then I taped over the steel cable with black electrical tape for a cushion between the two lines before I spooled on the power pro.

The reason I switched to the braids was to be quieter. I ran five downriggers at the time and I wanted to go down to three pound weights and have no cable hum. It worked, but if you use Scotty electrics you have to have the newer single belt downriggers to descend that light of weight. The older two belt downriggers need at least 6 pounds of weight and probably should have 8 pounders. With manual downriggers there is a huge advantage because you can go down to two pound weights.

If I was not in promoton, and just fished myself and friends I would still have the power pro on today.

Hope this helps

Vance