PDA

View Full Version : Weak spot in floorboard

FishMischief
09-14-2005, 06:34 PM
There is a weak spot in the floor of my boat. Its not in a commonly stepped on spot. I am planning on taking up the carpet after PyramidFest and want to deal with this problem then. My guess is I would find treated plywood with a rotted spot. Use a Sawzall and remove the affected area and cut out a piece or treated plywood to fit.

Any tips?

drstressor
09-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Yeah. Let's rip your entire boat apart at Pyramidfest. You seem to be having all sorts of problems. Be sure to bring that Sawzall. ;D

FishMischief
09-14-2005, 06:45 PM
LOL! ;D Just trying to get as much as I can for the Fest and then save the big stuff until after. I bought a very used boat and really need to get ahead of the maintenance. ;D

norcalfishslayer
09-15-2005, 08:12 PM
There is a weak spot in the floor of my boat. Its not in a commonly stepped on spot. I am planning on taking up the carpet after PyramidFest and want to deal with this problem then. My guess is I would find treated plywood with a rotted spot. Use a Sawzall and remove the affected area and cut out a piece or treated plywood to fit.

Any tips?

Hey Fish, I have the same problem with my old scow. Except, I need to replace about the back half of the floor. If you get some good tips, let me know. Gonna dig into mine after the good fishing season is over.

frank

FishMischief
09-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Kewl bring it to pyramid fest and we can chop em up there!!! ;D

Seriously, I will pass anything I hear your way.

Brettski
09-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Be sure to check your stringers once you have cut the plywood loose! Take an ice pick and poke it into the stringers.If it's soft under the fiberglass wrap you may need to go further.It's common for them to rot because it never gets dried out well.Just a thought, Brettski

HOOF
09-17-2005, 03:08 PM
I had the same problem and ended up doing the entire floor and the strringers(my boat is pretty old).Whatever you do make sure you buy marine plywood and cut out enough to get to the stringers and definatly check your stringers.I replaced mine with braziallian mahogany called "iron wood"-Spendy but it is the only 100 year wood after it is cut and it is STOUT!!