PDA

View Full Version : North River Seahawk question

plattj1
09-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Anyone out there running an 18' Seahawk? I am wondering if a 115hp 4 stroke is enough motor. I have had dealers try to sell me a 90 horse and others tell me a 150hp was needed. Also, I have heard that the 18' model has porposing issues, has anyone out there found that to be true? I was hoping the offshore bracket would smooth things out. I would like to know before any decisions are made.

My other choice is an Arima 19' Sea Ranger, I know they are a completely different type of boat but I really like them. I plan to fish lake Shasta, the delta and perhaps the Eureka/Trinidad/Shelter Cove area.

Thanks,

JP

Mickey_Thomas
09-06-2005, 07:33 PM
plattj1, I have a 20' North River (150hp) Sea Hawk, and it does porpose at full trottle at 45mph. It's easily corrected with the trim and it smooths out great. TS just brought an 18'er with the 115hp but he's on vacation. ??? He did tell me the 115 is plenty of motor for his. I really like the off shore bracket and have installed a live minnow set up on the back. Welcome to the boards, let us know what you get. 8)

Chetco_Indian
09-07-2005, 06:55 AM
JP If you plan on fishing Eureka etc the Arima is the best with a little canvas and a heater you can fish all winter on Shasta.I fished my arima in Seattle great boat just get power trim and a 90 hp.

survivor
09-07-2005, 07:28 AM
;D ;DI thought Indians used canoes.
Paul aka Survivor ;D ;D

fishguts
09-07-2005, 10:12 AM
I've got a 20ft. seahawk with the 115hp yamaha on it and I thinks thats plenty of power for it, and have pulled kids around the lake on tubes and knee boards with no problems, They "suggested" I buy the 150hp but I am a person who doesn't need to go a trillion miles an hour across the water. Just get me there and back safely.

2inTow
09-07-2005, 01:28 PM
This is my first time participating on the board. plattj1, I just purchased a Seahawk 18 with a Yamaha F115 off the offshore bracket. The boat originally had a F90 but I opted for the larger engine since the weight difference is minimal plus I plan to pull my kids around when I'm not fishing. With the F115 top speed is around 45 mph riding solo. Planing speed is in the mid to low 20's. As for porposing, adjusting the trim corrects the issue. I also opted for the drop down curtain which heats up things just like a green house.

Mickey_Thomas
09-07-2005, 04:10 PM
2inTow, I can't wait for the winter fishing to put my back drop curtain on and crank up my heater ;D ;D ;D, I think the 115 is the right motor for the 18' Seahawk, the 90 will work but if you fish at elevation I feel it would dog down and with 4 on the boat it might take forever to get on plane ??? proper prop pitch is also very important, my 150 Yahama came with a 19 pitch, I opted for the 17 pitch and when I fished Tahoe 6000'+ it still jumped out of the hole and onto plane in a matter of seconds. ;)

plattj1
09-08-2005, 05:17 AM
Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like the 115 is plenty of engine, now I just have to make myself spend the $$$$. I am looking at a used Arima 19 Sea Ranger this weekend. Nice boats as well, I cannot figure out if I like or hate the cuddy. Maybe a little of both depending upon the day?

JP

fishguts
09-08-2005, 05:35 AM
Don't forget the kicker motor.

MoMoney
09-08-2005, 05:49 AM
Go with the North river.That 115 on the 18 sounds good.I wouldnt trade my seahawk for any other.The down side is if you want it to look nice its more work keepin the aluminum boat polished.My boat is now about 3 1/2 months old with 92 hours on it and Ive polished the sides twice.My glass boat I had previously was easier to clean.But I like mine to look like a mirror on the sides and most people let theirs dull out.You cant go wrong with the arima either.Have fun shopping!!!

Mickey_Thomas
09-08-2005, 06:22 AM
Hey Mo, will you come and polish mine too? ;) ;D ;D What are you using on yours?

Vance Staplin
09-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Hi Mo,

This boat of yours is so shiney every time I walk by it I see myself like I'm looking in a mirror. In fact, it is just blurry enough to make me look good.

Vance

fishguts
09-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Hey MO
Only 92 hours, I've got over 200 on mine already and I am just warming up !!!
;D That NR smile......

MoMoney
09-09-2005, 05:46 AM
Mickey,I use mothers polish.It can be found at Kragens for about 7 dollars for the big can.i would have more hours on the boat but I coach 2 soccer teams and commute .But the commute is almost over.200 hours a year is usually about all for me.Good to see your usin your boat alot.I tried to sink the boat 2 weeks ago in the ocean but it wouldnt go down.We were gettin hammered from 4to 5 foot breakers crossing the north bar and my crew was gettin a little scared but I knew we were in in good hands.That is one bad as? boat!!

Mickey_Thomas
09-09-2005, 06:38 AM
Thanks Mo, I'm still amazed on how mine handles rough water. Now I have to find a cheap (inexpensive) radar to venture a little farther off shore ;)

MoMoney
09-09-2005, 08:46 PM
That day I was refering to the plan was the farallones but after 7 or 8 miles I decided it would be best left for another day.I know the waves are worse on the bar but it was rough in the morning and I had no buddy boat to travel with so the islands in my little boat needs to have excellent weather.I do have backup everything vhf,gps,phones, batteries,bilges,a self bailing deck,etc.I do love the thrill but am very cautious also.

Off_The_Hook
09-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Gotta agree with Mo and Mickey. Go with the North River! The Arima is nice, but the North River is nicer. Lots more fishing room, and now that I have gone aluminum, I won't go back to fiberglass. I had a cabin on my old boat. I though I would miss it, but I don't. I only used it for storage, but the North River has lots.

I didn't want to be polishing my aluminum to keep it pretty, so here is what I did.. I ordered it painted. It looks nice, but the Mothers polish would have been a lot cheaper!

http://www.geocities.com/mkerm8@sbcglobal.net/Seahawk.jpg

TS5655
09-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Plattj1,

I have the 115 on the 18' Mariner, not the Seahawk. It is plenty of motor on the Mariner.

TS

Vance Staplin
09-13-2005, 02:51 PM
Terry,

How was the trip? Where is the fishing report? Is the boat broken in?

What is the scoop?

Vance

Vance Staplin
09-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Hi Off The Hook,

I like your paint design and striping. Was that done at the North River Factory?

Vance

TS5655
09-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Vance,

The trip was great. Got a little fish blood in the boat but not a lot, it can always be better. Tell me again why I got that big motor. Heck, never used it! I still need to put a couple of more hours on the big motor but the kicker is broken in for sure. That DHM trailer is sweet! It took me a couple of landings to figure out the correct depth and then I just put it right on the money each time. Remember that smile I had on the river? I think it was frozen on there all last week.

;D ;D

Terry

Vance Staplin
09-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Hi Terry,

I think that smile is now in the medical records. I call it the North River smile.....I see it every day. :D

Vance

Off_The_Hook
09-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Vance,
Yeah I ordered it like that from NR. I'm real happy with it. They did a nice job. I really like how the silver paint looks instead of the aluminum. I have not seen another one like it yet, (so nobody else do it!) It gets a lot of compliments at the ramp, as all North Rivers do...