PDA

View Full Version : Attention Ford truck owners. Need advice.

SturgeonVirgin
09-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Anyone have epxerience with late 80's ford p/u trucks?

Have a 1986 that will just tool on down the road, then after getting warm, she dies. Let her cool for about 30 minutes, fires back up. Happens a lot more in hot weather than cold, almost feels like vapopr lock, but its an injected motor. Did research and found there was a recall for the TFI module on these things, replaced that, same thing.

Got a code reader, but it seems to be gibberish coming out, no relation to the symptoms. Anyone got any ideas?

FISHSTALKER
09-08-2005, 04:21 PM
Older model Fords the electroinc ignition is famous for doing that. The engine gets hot and the ignition modual quits. When the engine cools it will fire up again. The next time it happens check your spark output with a test light. You must be careful though because of the high DC voltage system.

fishkiller
09-08-2005, 08:13 PM
8)T this so simple open the hood go to ignition module remove two screws turn over if the plastic mold has any color distortion and or big bubbles close to wire entry it is bad replace and keep one under the seat. the part cost 25 bucks. I had a 76 and a 85 both had the same problem after 60k 8)

SturgeonVirgin
09-08-2005, 10:24 PM
8)T this so simple open the hood go to ignition module remove two screws turn over if the plastic mold has any color distortion and or big bubbles close to wire entry it is bad replace and keep one under the seat. the part cost 25 bucks. I had a 76 and a 85 both had the same problem after 60k 8)

Not sure I follow; the TFI is the ignition module, that is why the recall took place. Ford mounted it on the distributor instead of the firewall or fender to save a few bucks, knowing they got too hot there. I already replaced it, (costs a lot more than 25 bucks these days, low of 55 high of 115!) and the symptom is the same. What module are you talking about?

Oh yeah, its a 5.0 fuel injected V8. EEC-IV control system. *

SturgeonVirgin
09-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Older model Fords the electroinc ignition is famous for doing that. The engine gets hot and the ignition modual quits. When the engine cools it will fire up again. The next time it happens check your spark output with a test light. You must be careful though because of the high DC voltage system.

Thought the same thing, but a new module does exactly the same thing.... thats whats got me bugged here.

ghostfish_slayer
09-08-2005, 11:17 PM
some vehicles have fuel pump relays that do that too.our old 83 or 84 ford had a problem inside the distributor.i think it was a ignition modual or pick up in the distributor that caused that.

fishkiller
09-09-2005, 06:03 AM
8)mine was mounted on drivers side fender wall small silver is cast aliuminum box maybe 4inch by 4inch square just plugs into wiring harness. turn it over it is like someone poured plastic in itusually an off brown color, turn it over it would be black burnt and have bubbles from the heat. the replacement for my 76 ford were cheap yet they only lasted about a year. 8)

SturgeonVirgin
09-09-2005, 06:34 AM
wish I could swap one out that easy, the one on the distributor is really hard to get at, needs a special offset ratchet to get to it. wut a pain. Gotta figure this out, its the tow vehicle for the derby....

huggyspot
09-09-2005, 07:17 AM
the pickup inside the distributor will do the same thing when it gets hot as the its a little harder to change I would chang the whole dist. a rebuild doesnt cost that much more good luck

DinoBlaster
09-09-2005, 09:17 AM
I don't know if this will help but I used to own an 86 F-250 it was a 460 carb motor. It kinda did the same thing..it would run for a few minutes than die..wait a few fired it back up and would run again. I found a burnt 15amp fuse that controled the eletric fuel pumps and cruise control system. Re-placed the fuse and all was fine. Just another easy place for you to check, hope this helps. DB :)

jackstraw
09-09-2005, 10:00 AM
I had a similar issue with 1985 F250. It would drive normally for awhile, then shut down. It turned out to be the fuel tank switch near the front fuel tank.

SturgeonVirgin
09-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Thanks for all the responses, so far the only common thread among them is that ford trucks like to run for little while and then DIE!!!!!

donzitroller
09-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Have you had the CAT checked? I had the same problem, turned out that the cat honeycomb was busted up into golf ball sized chunks that would clog up the cat when it got hot and the motor would die. When it dies does it act like it's running out of gas? Maybe way off base, but could be another possibility.

SturgeonVirgin
09-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Have you had the CAT checked? I had the same problem, turned out that the cat honeycomb was busted up into golf ball sized chunks that would clog up the cat when it got hot and the motor would die. When it dies does it act like it's running out of gas? Maybe way off base, but could be another possibility.

wow another option for the runs but dies phenomonon!!! One this one, you'll pull up to stop light, it dies, After that, once you get it to restart, you will be driving along and the thing just dies cold. 30-40 minutes later, fires right up and off ya go.

Albacore
09-10-2005, 09:18 PM
What codes (if any) came out when you had them pulled?...back then I know Ford had 2 digit troubleshooting codes...you have to check the hardfault codes and start there..also,was die-electric grease put on the new module when installed?,...you can also pull the cover off the module and look inside the silicon jell to see if any circuits look burnt...another option is the fuel pumps..usualy Ford had 2,1 low pressure and the other is a high,even though the pump sounds like its working sometimes it can either loose pressure or volume after awhile,seems like it by-passes for some reason,a fuel pressure gauge can check that,you can tap into the fuel rail going to the injectors.check the man. specs for the pressure limits...one more thing..the fuel pump relay(s)....when those heat up they can make the pump stop working...and as you may have guessed,yes I have ran into this before with mine...drove me nuts!....now I am one!....Good Luck and Happy Fishin.....

SturgeonVirgin
09-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Yeah I got a nice coat of dieelectric goo on there before putting the new one on, not too think, not too thin.

All the codes I got, (3) total were related to the EGR system, the EGR valve was replaced by the previous owner to get the truck smogged before sale. Pretty sure they are leftovers.

Been told a bunch of times that the TFI issue does not give a code, of course that only means I have to guess about whether or not the thing is what is failing.

Fuel pressure at the rails, now thats a new one, sounds like it could be an issue....

Man, one more for the list!

Thanks again! ;)