PDA

View Full Version : Scotty 1101 downrigger help

trackertundra
08-31-2005, 07:35 PM
I recently purchased some electric downriggers and I have a few questions for those out there that are much wiser than me. I have the downrigger mounted, but can not figure out how to keep it locked down. Basically it still swivels
up and down. I can not imagine that is how you are supposed to travel with it. Also I have a question on the stop beads. Are those supposed to go up innto the motor housing and stop the unit or just to the end of the boom. Any help would be appreciated.

Tracker

sellhomes2fish
08-31-2005, 10:05 PM
My scottys are loose and will bounce around if you leave the snap hook dangling. If I'm transporting the boat with the downriggers mounted I will connect the snaps to the transom eye hooks and tighten down. Also, the stoppers do go onto the spool before the unit stops.

drstressor
08-31-2005, 10:09 PM
You travel with the Scotties in the "up" position. There is a little red latch under each rigger that locks them in the up position once you rotate them vertical. I've never had one fall down. They don't lock in the "down" position since the weight of the ball holds them in place.

You position the stops on the wire so that they are right at the detector (the little slot just before the wire enters the spool) when the weight is just below the surface. If you are going to stack, place a second stop on the wire 10 ft above the one closest to the weight.

The plastic stops tend to slide on the wire as they begin to wear. I sometimes put a metal crimp above and below the stops in order to hold them in place. Otherwise, just replace the stops once they start to slip.

FISHSTALKER
09-01-2005, 07:13 AM
Wow! Sounds like a lot of BS to deal with. I like my Cannons. ;D ;)

Mickey_Thomas
09-01-2005, 08:26 AM
I knew FISHSTALKER couldn't resist ;D ;D ;D Dale, have I told you I like my Scottys better? ;D ;D ;D ;D and I got both of mine for less than you paid for one ;) ;D ;D ;D

SuperDave
09-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Mickey, how could Scotty charge that much for some thing so ugly? Of course they were cheaper!

Mickey_Thomas
09-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Here we go again ;D I like the looks of the Scotty's better, short and fat, just like me 8)

norcalfishslayer
09-02-2005, 07:01 PM
Hey guys, my first post! :D I had to stop in and say that the fish can't see the downriggers until the fish are in the boat. :o

PS, did I mention that I just bought a couple of Scottys?

trackertundra
09-02-2005, 09:28 PM
Thank's for all of the info and advice. I have my new DR's and I am going to run over to berryessa on saturday to try them out.

tracker

somebody
09-03-2005, 09:57 AM
when you figure out how ugly and ineffiient they are and are going to give them the deep six remember a scrap buyer like myself will pay core value for them

trackertundra
09-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Somebody- I actually like the look of the scotty's much better than my old cannons. I took them fishing yesterday and I have nothing but good things to say about them. So it doesn't look like you will be getting a great deal from me anytime soon.

Tracker