PDA

View Full Version : New vinyl flooring

freon
08-28-2005, 12:07 PM
I am planning on installing new flooring, and redoing the front deck. What I want to do is to install new vinyl (linoleum)on top of the flooring. I currently have carpet and want to be able to clean the boat and have the wood last longer. Does anyone know where to buy the boat linoleum? It has to have the small nubs and cant be slick and I havent see that around anywhere. any help would be appreciated.
Freon

Durb
08-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Freon
Cabelas has what you are looking for. They also have the marine type glue. Good luck

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21276&rid=&indexId=cat35 0015&navAction=push&navCount=12&parentType=index&p arentId=cat350015&id=0001359

Mickey_Thomas
08-28-2005, 01:58 PM
James, when you install the new flooring make sure you have all the old carpet glue scrapped off the wood, also make sure you use the right glue, marine type will do it but if the old glue isn't gone you could have a reaction and blow the whole thing. PM me when you are ready and I'll talk you through it. Being a retired Lino guy I have a few tips to share. Sniffer buddies helping Sniffer buddies, that's what it's all about ;D

Silver_Streak
08-29-2005, 09:41 AM
freon, look at Cabelas. I've used this product and marine glue. Works good with good results!! The vinyl is not smooth therefore not slippery. It's the same material used in my Jetcraft. The only bad thing I can say about it is it's a little hard to clean, need a brush. Also, it's a little on the soft side. Hope this helps ;).

SuperDave
08-29-2005, 10:22 AM
When I was looking for carpet for my old boat, I did google on boat flooring and marine flooring. You will find a much bigger selection than what Cabela's offers. The vinyl flooring will come in a variety of thicknesses.

FishMischief
08-29-2005, 02:50 PM
I need to do the same thing. Carpet is easily messed up and gets dirty fast. I dont know how the bass guys do it.

Let me know how your project goes...

Mickey, since your retired and experienced you must need something to do. Will pour margeritas for flooring work... ;D

freon
08-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all of the info guys, just what I was looking for. Mickey, I will indeed use some of your expertise. I have installed linoleum before, even recently for a habitat for humanity house. but this is my boat were talking about here,lol. I actually plan to replace the flooring, build a platform up front with storage, do something with the windshield and steering wheel, would like to build new housings and then install a water hose system to clean it all up with. Might take a bit to complete it all, at least a day or two, dont ya think Mickey? I was thinking I need to go with 3/4" marine grade plywood for the floor, but that stuff is heavy, anyone have a better and lighter substitute?
Thanks again all,
Freon

DinoBlaster
08-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Thanks for all of the info guys, just what I was looking for. Mickey, I will indeed use some of your expertise. I have installed linoleum before, even recently for a habitat for humanity house. but this is my boat were talking about here,lol. I actually plan to replace the flooring, build a platform up front with storage, do something with the windshield and steering wheel, would like to build new housings and then install a water hose system to clean it all up with. Might take a bit to complete it all, at least a day or two, dont ya think Mickey? I was thinking I need to go with 3/4" marine grade plywood for the floor, but that stuff is heavy, anyone have a better and lighter substitute?
Thanks again all,
Freon
Have you ever looked into Starboard material? (plastic)
DB

GCinGV
08-30-2005, 05:03 AM
freon,
For the floor covering try Standard Fabrics in Sacramento. Itís called boat decking.
As far as plywood ĺĒ is overkill. Most of the manufacturers and upholstery shops use 7 ply, ĹĒ, exterior, some times reinforced with fiberglass for strength if necessary. 5 ply would be ok if itís not a large area. Very few actually use marine plywood because itís about $100 per sheet.
GC

Mickey_Thomas
08-30-2005, 06:20 AM
Just another thought Freon, have you considered pouring Rinolining instead of Vinyl? If you're going to have new boards it will stick really good and never have to worry about it again.

tdekens
08-30-2005, 07:09 AM
I was told by the wood guy that the only difference between marine grade plywood and exterior plywood is the surface. Marine grade has one side that is neat and clean for finishing. Exterior and Marine use the same exact glue in the manufacturing process. So like stated above dont waste your money on marine grade plywood unless you need the exterior surface for show. Especially if your just going to coat it with something. Just my 1.5cents
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

Silver_Streak
08-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Freon, when I rebuilt a boat a few years ago, I just used exterior grade plywood (smooth faced one side A/C grade). To make it more moisture resistant I used epoxy rein to seal it, then marine glue and vinyl. It seemed to work out good, just make sure you get the resin on smooth. ;)

freon
08-30-2005, 09:02 PM
Thanks again guys, this info will definitely help, you guys rule.
Freon

HOOF
09-02-2005, 08:53 PM
one more opinion..I too install floors for a living,but I am doing it currantly(no offence to Mickey ;D)..I have rebuilt a '63 dorsett and I came accross the same situations you are facing.First buy marine plywood and nothing else,Yes it cost more but it is designed to withstand the weather and everything else(DO NOT BE CHEAP)..Second ..that so called "vinyl" from cabelas is more like a 1/16" carpet back with a solid top.Make sure you use the correct glue and follow instructions exactly and wet it down BEFORE you go out-the first wetting is like ICE....Realize it is all about a solid foundation.....good luck :)

fishguts
09-04-2005, 05:24 PM
What about just having it sprayed with Line-X, I know that it can be done in different colors.