PDA

View Full Version : Building a plat form in the bow of alum boat?

RUFKM
08-23-2005, 11:31 AM
I would like to build a platform in the bow of my boat for my wife to be able to lay up on compfortably to tan and for me to use when she is not there to bass fish. SHould I just cut out a solid piece of wood to the shape of the bow about seat high in the boat?

Would that cause it to be to unstable?

Should I reinforce it w/ some 2x4's?

I would like this to last awhile, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

SuperDave
08-23-2005, 11:50 AM
What I would do:

Use the seat as a support, use 2 X 4's as ledgers and cross support with 2 X 4's on joist hangers. Paint your wood with Thompson's water sealer. Cover the seat and framing with 3/4" plywood that has also been treated with water sealer. Cover the plywood with outdoor carpet. And for storage and a nice touch, add a hatch so that you don't lose all your bow space.

ziggy95722
08-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Rufkim, While I donít disagree with the H-man about using the existing seat for support, with a little extra work I would use some aluminum angle or tubing for support and use Baltic (Russian) Birch plywood for the raised flooring. The Russian Birch is a 9 ply marine plywood and is really strong, and lighter than ĺĒ plywood. I believe it is available in 4X5 & 4X8 sheets from your local cabinet suppliers warehouse. I use Auburn Hardwoods in Auburn CA. If you donít have welding equip. For the Al angles you might try pop rivets.
Good luck & tight lines Ziggy ;D

RUFKM
08-24-2005, 07:29 AM
I do not have a welder and was wondering if anyone knows of any kits for the platform? Alum framed platform sounds much more durable. Thanks again!

somebody
08-24-2005, 08:57 AM
i think i would 1X4-s and save on weight yet keep the compressive strength and about 8 inches or 6 inches apart with thoughts toward a hatch hole boxed in. then 3/8 or 1/2 plywood. exterior plywood has the same glue as marine except marine has no voids along edges. if you look at ext. plywood you will see smaall voids on the edges which should not affect your job. be sure to keep top of 1 bys low enough for the finish plywood to flush with gunnel.

RonM
08-24-2005, 10:49 AM
This doesn't answer your question on how to build it but I thought it may help. I was looking on Craigslist a few weeks ago and saw this on a 12ft Gregor. Looks kinda like what you want to do.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/517/Boat4.jpg

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/517/Boat31.jpg

Ron

RUFKM
08-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Thats exactly what I would like to do! That looks pretty professional! Hopefully and can get my boat to look somewhat similar to that because of my lack of ability. Why didn't my father let me take wood class in high school? It sure would have came in handy.

Waterworks
08-31-2005, 09:26 PM
I have a Gregor 12'aluminum and have cut a piece of 3/4" (5 ply as opposed to 3 ply) plywood that sits in on top of the two front seats. *I know we would all like a wiz bang professional job if time and money allow. *I stand up and bass fish on that plywood insert all the time (I weigh 200 lbs) and I clamp it down while I'm driving with C clamps so it will not fly out. *But it is a quick way of getting a deck. *You can throw some rugs or towels on it to keep from getting splinters in your foot. *My boy wanted to lay down and take naps and that's why I put it in at first. *Just make it big enough to cover the middle seat so your leg room will not being taken away in the back. *Drawing it exactly the right shape is tricky or hit and miss if you will, but hey, functionality is what you will get. *If you are really worried about holding the weight then buy 1 inch plywood instead. * In the mean time you can plan for something more fancy. Buy a jig saw for $80, a pair of safety goggles and a sheet of plywood and go to town.

lazylab
09-02-2005, 06:09 PM
i have thought alot about ,this as i want to transfer weight to the bow. i think 1bys would be fine as far as support an you can get marine grade ply in any size. the storage up front would be a sub deck below with straps for the batterries and everything non conductive. 5/8 ply will take a 4800 car at least 4 inches of the ground before snapping.