PDA

View Full Version : On The Water Breakdown

Silver_Streak
08-29-2005, 09:52 AM
Hi fellow Sniffers. I've got a simple question for some of you boat owners..... Who do you call when/if you break down on the water? Serious answers, please. I've recently had this happen to me on the Sac river in the Verona area, and luckily got a tow from a passing sheriff's boat. Lights and all. BTW, my son thought it was pretty cool, I obviously didn't!! >:( Tim

dirtydan
08-29-2005, 10:40 AM
I am a member of BoatUS - and on-water towing (up to certain levels) is covered for members. *If I break down, I simply hail "Vessel Assist" on channel 16. *When (hopefully) they respond), I give my location (GPS) and they come get me. *It's like AAA on the water.

Also - I'd hope anyone would be willing to give you a tow. When I was younger - my Dad and I broke down out in the Gulf of Mexico fishing for Kings - someone towed us all the way back in - whew.

-DD

MoMoney
08-29-2005, 03:08 PM
i have boat us also.i often think about what id do also.I think in the delta I would just ask someone for a tow to the nearest launch then call someone I know to pick me up and take me to my truck and trailer.It would be tough for anyone to tow you 20 miles to your launch and ruin there day also especially someone you dont know,thats a lot to ask!!You can get unlimited towing for 99 a year plus the 13 dollar a year membership.They also have varying amounts of coverage for say 50 gets you a tow worth 500 or something like that.Never used mine so not sure how responsive they are!!Knock on wood!!!

FishMischief
08-29-2005, 03:29 PM
So does this towing only cover ocean and delta or do they send someone to you if your at Hell Hole?

I figured my membership was the $100 for a VHF radio. Like Mo Money said... 20 miles is a long way to ask someone you dont know. I am happy to help anyone get home at the end of the day.

Oxbow
08-29-2005, 06:51 PM
I once spent my entire alloted fishing time bringing in two boats plus some stream fishermen from the far end of Hellhole. A bunch of young college age guys were having a bachelor party and they had no clue about Hellhole. One small aluminum boat had 3 big guys plus camping gear on board. They were about halfway back to the ramp from the far end of the lake, the wind was up and in their face and they had about 2 inches of freeboard. I put them in my boat and towed them to the ramp, picked up their other boat and buddy that was disabled and then picked up the guys stream fishing. I'm so glad that I did as I don't think the boat with the 3 big guys would have made it back in that wind. I won't refuse to help on the water no matter how stupid they might have been, who knows, it could be me next week. There is one proviso, I will not endanger myself or passengers to make a rescue. It happens much too often where the rescue party is lost along with those in trouble. It's a difficult decision to make but sometimes you just have to make it. All you fire guys on the board know exactly what I'm talking about.

Silver_Streak
08-30-2005, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the response guys! My Jet boat isn't that old and a fuel problem got me stuck. I figured I had a kicker and that would help me if my imboard ever had a problem. The problem was the fuel! Both engines draw from the same tank-the weak link. >:( Unfortunately, I figured newer boat, well maintained, shouldn't have a problem for a long time. Well, lesson learned!! Things go wrong when not expected. :(

Salmon1
08-30-2005, 02:01 PM
IF you have Progressive insurance, they offer towing as part of their coverage. I am not sure of the range, I think it like within 20 miles of shore. As far as towing someone in when they are broken down, it is kind of the understood rules of the sea that you should help if asked. If someone tows you in a fair distance, you should offer to pay for their fuel, etc. If you tow someone, be ready to abandon the tow if it gets dangerous. Cut the line in a hurry if your vessel is in danger from towing somone else!!!

Silver_Streak
08-31-2005, 09:17 AM
Thanks Salmon 1. I have Progressive Ins., I better read my policy. When broken down on the water, the price for the tow is not important, just the idea of getting back is. ;)

rho
08-31-2005, 01:20 PM
I believe it's law to always help a boater in distress. I've seen many wakeboard boats pass broken down boats before only to have me stop and tow them in.

Most boating insurance companies offer towing and BoatUS is a good option in addition to that, since it is very affordable, last time I checked.

basil
09-01-2005, 08:42 AM
I believe it's law to always help a boater in distress. I've seen many wakeboard boats pass broken down boats before only to have me stop and tow them in.

Most boating insurance companies offer towing and BoatUS is a good option in addition to that, since it is very affordable, last time I checked.

Helping a boater in distress, does not necessarily mean you have to tow his boat. You could just give them a ride.

As for towing insurance, I don' know if it's worth it, at times I tend to operate outside of the areas they claim to cover.